AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 12, 2007, 03:13:58 AM
62625 Posts in 6212 Topics by 2165 Members
Latest Member: keith price
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  My first violin - How'd I do? *REMIX*
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: My first violin - How'd I do? *REMIX*  (Read 2585 times)
« on: January 04, 2004, 02:03:32 PM »
zemlin Offline

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out - recorded a live recital - two very talented brothers.

http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample.mp3

Reply #1
« on: January 04, 2004, 04:10:25 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

Nice Karl!  How bout some details (ie, how many mics, type and position, etc)?  Maybe a descript of the room and dimensions...  It might be helpful to others, interested in approaching this sort of scenario.

smiley

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #2
« on: January 04, 2004, 04:34:33 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

I've only listened to it on a pair of mono cans so this may not be appropriate, but I'd have kept the piano just a fraction further back in the mix. I wanted to hear the violin cutting through with the melody just very slightly more strongly, but it really is only marginal.

And was it a violin, or a viola? Seemed too low in the register for a violin to me, but not quite a full enough tone for a cello with the section heard here (though I could be persuaded!). Is this a trick question?  Cool

Reply #3
« on: January 04, 2004, 05:40:04 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Okay, I've had to listen to this with a background of loud drumming (don't ask), and it sounds like a crossed-pair recording with the violin just in front of the piano  - was it?

I think I agree with Andrew about the relative loudness - I'd have preferred the violin to be just a touch further forward. This can be a bit of a bugger to get right on location, though, and this is pretty good attempt, especially if you haven't attempted piano and violin(?) before. The good thing is that the piano doesn't appear to be ridiculously wide - even though a 'wider' piano can sometimes leave a slightly larger acoustic space for the solo instrument, which can reduce the level problems somewhat. But the sound is pretty clean, though. I can't tell about whether this is natural or artificial reverb (because of the pounding noise I'm 'living' with!) but it seems quite appropriate. So can we have more details?

Reply #4
« on: January 04, 2004, 07:32:59 PM »
zemlin Offline

* Disclaimer *
I didn't get paid much for this job, so the mix is set it and forget it.  I don't disagree with the mix remarks, but most of the recording is better.  I didn't get paid enough to mess with envelopes on this one.  I'll pick a better sample next time.

The mics:
Crossed pair of Oktava 319's on the piano.  Piano lid was on the short stick.  If you draw a rectangle around the piano, the mics were just inside the far right corner from the pianist.  Mics were positioned a little above plane of the lid.

Two Oktava 012's for the violin.  Facing the violinist, one was off to the right and slighly in front about 30" above the violin pointed about 45 degrees down to the left and slightly back (maybe 15 degrees)  The other was probably 30" directly in front.  The violin mics are panned very narrow.

A crossed pair of Rode NT5's about 8' up in the middle of the room.

The violinist was positioned maybe 4' off the end of the keyboard of the piano - there's LOTS of piano in the violin mics.

There were 4 pieces performed - two were solo violin, the others were violin and piano.  The first piece with piano the violinist needed music.  For the second piece the violinist placed the unneeded music stand directly between the piano mics and the piano.  I have to attribute that move to subconscious sibling rivalry.  I guess the mics were back far enough the recording was not impacted too much.

The room is octagonal about 85' across - ceiling slopes in on all sides.  A very reverberant room with some very strong resonant frequencies - not a joy to record in.

I added SIR reverb - "large hall + stage" from a PCM91 impulse.  Violin and piano mics got 'verb - room mics did not.

Reply #5
« on: January 04, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

zemlin Posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...the mix is set it and forget it.
Well... good job!  I think a slight notch in the mid-range of the piano and a nudge in the same freq's on the voilin would help the violin's definition.  Again, nice job!

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #6
« on: January 04, 2004, 07:54:14 PM »
zemlin Offline

Actually I have just the opposite of that at 2500 Hz - the piano was a bit muddy - maybe I went too far.  I might play with that a little more before I burn the final CDs.

I have also posted two more samples from this recording

http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample2.mp3
another bit with both instruments.  This is the start of the piece where the music stand is between the mics and the piano - maybe that's part of the reason the mix is better  huh

http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample3.mp3
solo violin.

Reply #7
« on: January 04, 2004, 09:01:49 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: zemlin
The room is octagonal about 85' across - ceiling slopes in on all sides. A very reverberant room with some very strong resonant frequencies - not a joy to record in.

Sounds like your description of your Church... and the other two clips definitely sound better than the first one - I like the solo Bach! As far as the second clip goes, the music actually allows more space for the violin, anyway - but it still sounds more balanced than the first clip.

Reply #8
« on: January 04, 2004, 09:24:49 PM »
zemlin Offline

Quote from: SteveG
Sounds like your description of your Church...

it is
We recently added a photo album to the church web site - here's a picture that shows quite a bit.
http://www.uui.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=BruceFarewell&id=11_BruceOpeningWords

... and the other two clips definitely sound better than the first one - I like the solo Bach!

Cheesy whooooa dewd, he said he likes it!  Cheesy
now where's that inflated head smiley when you need it?

Thanks! (you too, voodoo - Thanks)

Reply #9
« on: January 04, 2004, 11:28:38 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

zemlin Posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We recently added a photo album to the church web site
Wow, you guys do some serious eating at your church!!

shocked

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #10
« on: January 05, 2004, 01:23:47 AM »
DeluXMan Offline

HeeHee!  is that an 'all you can eat' buffet?  Even the carrots look tasty.   Tongue

Nice sound.  The violin sounds like a viola, with a bit of an double reed sound to it.

=DeluX-Man=
Reply #11
« on: January 05, 2004, 01:28:12 AM »
zemlin Offline

Hey, we don't do that EVERY week!  In fact I missed that Sunday.

Reply #12
« on: January 05, 2004, 09:32:09 PM »
plook Offline

Sounds fantastic, and not just because I'm easy to please.  wink
Reply #13
« on: January 08, 2004, 02:52:14 AM »
zemlin Offline

The talent didn't like the mix - mainly because the reverb was too bright.  Here's the remix - I also made some minor EQ and mix changes.
The first sample is still starts out a little piano heavy.

http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample_B.mp3
http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample2_B.mp3
http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/cheap-tracks_harvey_sample3_B.mp3

Thanks for all the compliments on the first batch and TIA on anything (good or bad) you offer up on these samples.  I think this mix is cleaner sounding.

The first samples were mixed with a PCM91 impulse and SIR.  This mix uses AA Native Full Reverb.

Did a quick search to see if I could find anything on the web about the performers - and turned this up. http://digilander.libero.it/september11/William%20Harvey.htm  Read it.
For those with broadband, here's a 6.5MB VBR MP3 - background music while you read William's story.
http://www.cheap-tracks.com/mp3/william_harvey.mp3

Reply #14
« on: January 08, 2004, 07:40:18 AM »
bonnder Offline

Ditto.  Do read it.  Thanks for the link zemlin.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: