AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 12, 2007, 03:16:18 AM
62625 Posts in 6212 Topics by 2165 Members
Latest Member: keith price
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  Looking for feedback on recording
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Looking for feedback on recording  (Read 1753 times)
« on: January 15, 2004, 07:49:03 PM »
groucho Offline

Hey, what happened to that proposition that we create a new forum for Mp3 critiquing? I'm still for that, if anyone cares.Smiley

Anyway, If you guys have a sec, I could use some other ears on this one. I'm playing around with some new gear and just doing some simple little acoustic-ish things.

At least tell me I'm not getting worse.Cheesy

Or if not, tell me *how* I'm getting worse...

thanks a bunch,
Chris
Reply #1
« on: January 15, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

As always Chris.... good job.  I listened to it at work and the playback system lacks quite a bit (O.K. a hell of alot) to be desired.  As for the composition and performance.....  Right ON Bro!  I will try to get a chance to listen to it in the next couple of days on my studio system.  Thanks for another jewel!

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #2
« on: January 16, 2004, 04:33:09 PM »
binarystudios Offline

I thought it sounded pretty good on my headphones. I'm at work right now. Once I get home I will give it a listen in my monitors.

Reply #3
« on: January 16, 2004, 05:43:24 PM »
groucho Offline

Thanks much to both of you for listening. And please let me know if anything leaps out at you when you hear it on the studio set-up.

After a little fooling around last night I devised a way to lessen the sibilance on this track (love the frequency range controls on CEP's compressor) - but that version won't be posted till I get off work tonight.

thanks again guys,
Chris
Reply #4
« on: January 20, 2004, 09:11:53 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Groucho, on the JBL LSR28Ps you have a fine sounding recording!  Overall this works nicely for my ear.  

Personally I prefer an electric with a sweeter, less mid-peaky timbre.  However, it is just that timbre that helps it be distinct from the acoustic, so in this case it might be bad to "smooth" the upper mids.  After all, it should sound like a guitar duo, and does.  I like the acoustic sound very much.

The "hash" in the vocal upper frequencies must sound great uncompressed, and is a good example of how mp3 kills complex sounds.  The vocal seems to stay right where it should in the mix.

At 1:03-7 and 2:06 are examples of electric notes that are too aggressive to my ear and need a little containment.  For example, in the first instance the rhythm and warmth of the acoustic guitar is lost under the electric and the vocal.

I like the subtle way the piano (and later, the keyboard) emerges and disappears.  At its peak, does the piano fight the rhythm of the acoustic?  Perhaps more high-frequency "zing" would help the acoustic hold its place, but I wouldn't want to vouch for that without hearing it first.  It might ruin a good thing.
Reply #5
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:00:25 PM »
groucho Offline

Thanks much MC! Just the kind of comments I was hoping for. I agree with you on both the places you mentioned re: the electric notes. It's those little level issues that I sometimes don't hear after listening to the song a zillion times in a row - that's why other ears are helpful. Thanks!

This was my first tune on my new recording setup and since I did it I've learned a great deal more about how to manipulate the signal with my new gear. The next one will be better! - especially with regard to the upper frequency area of the acoustic (I hear that as well).

One thing that's cool is nobody I've played this for seems to have leaped on the electric guitar as not being "real" - it seems to pass as being a mic'd amp. It's actually my new POD, which I am absolutely blown away by. Everyone seems to use this thing to get the same heavy crunchy tones, but seldom mentioned is how well it does with cleaner sounds.

New gear - life is good.Smiley

thanks again for taking the time MC,
Chris
Reply #6
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:53:50 PM »
noddy Offline

Chris,
I don't think I have anything to add on top of what MC has already suggested... other than to say, well done!
Love the crickets in the background at the end.... nice imagery.

Cheers,
Bruce.
Audio2u
The home of quality podcasts, including "Building the pod (Understanding Adobe Audition)" and "Sine Language", a discussion on all things audio.
Reply #7
« on: January 21, 2004, 01:51:12 AM »
groucho Offline

Thanks, Bruce - glad ya like them crickets... I got a kick out of them too...Smiley

Chris
Reply #8
« on: January 21, 2004, 10:47:53 AM »
VoodooRadio Offline

groucho Posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's actually my new POD, which I am absolutely blown away by. Everyone seems to use this thing to get the same heavy crunchy tones, but seldom mentioned is how well it does with cleaner sounds.
For sure.  Modeling technology has come a long ways.  I have a Line6 Guitar Port, (pretty much a software/USB version of the POD) that I've been sitting on for awhile.  It won't run under my present setup, so I'm waiting on an "upgrade".  I've heard other's work through them and it is utterly amazing.

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #9
« on: January 21, 2004, 03:50:18 PM »
BFM Offline

I agree, a forum for audio critique (all audio productions, not just music) is a good idea, and not just MP3s. I also think it would be more helpful if people actually said they hated something, instead of all the posts being favourable. Negative but constructive comments are more helpful to us all if we are going to improve our work, there's nothing worse than everyone saying how terrific everything is, when it is clearly not all great.

And I think that a template would work well, that everyone can copy and paste from a sticky post at the top, something like this:

=======================================

Excellent ***** Very Good **** Good *** Average ** Poor *

Overall Performance **
This style is not my cup of tea at all, but I can appreciate the Dire Straits vocal. It is difficult for me to comment constructively on what I personally think is an aweful singing style. Musically, I think the sound is 'thin', like you need to in mix more tracks of your guitars, or make them 'thicker' somehow.

Overall Audio Quality ***
The only problem that was very noticeable to me was the 'S-s' sounded like 'Sh-s'. Probably down to the MP3 compression.

Technical/Production/Mix **
Hissy, especially noticeable at the beginning. I'm not sure if this could be fixed, but it would certainly sound even more hissy on a wave file.

...and so on

=======================================

My marks and comments for this song are above.

wink
Reply #10
« on: January 21, 2004, 04:43:47 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Chris, you certainly had me fooled.  But then, I'm not a guitarist nor the son of a guitarist!

I've found in mixing that parking a session for a few days (or more, if you have the luxury) helps break the mix forgiveness that over-familiarity brings.  Leaving it obviously will help get it out of your ear.  Another thing would be to check it at a very soft level.  In this case, it should reveal quite exactly where the electric is over or under the vocal, because you'd barely be able to hear the vocal!  Also, listening on multiple systems, which you may already do.  

BFM is right that the beginning has noticable hiss, but it didn't bother me so much on the first hearing.  Perhaps my playback level was too conservative!  Can any of it be reduced without killing the audio quality?

One more question: where did you get the cool crickets?
Reply #11
« on: January 21, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »
groucho Offline

Hey, just when I thought this thread was dead...Smiley

I *completely* agree with BFM that the most helpful comments are often not positive. In fact, I've found in the past that some of the most insightful comments came from people who prefaced their comments with "now keep in mind, I hate this kind of music and know nothing about it, but..."

Personally, I tend *not* to post for review things I'm totally happy with. I tend to post things I'm struggling with, or just not sure about.

I think it would be great to have an mp3 "clinic" section of the forum. I've pretty much dropped out of the other mp3 clinics I've found, mainly because the feedback wasn't real helpful to me - it was either just positive (which of course, is nice to hear:)) or the criticism wasn't particularly informed. People around here are very opinionated *and* they know what the hell they're talking about generally, so it would be cool to get something going here.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time, BFM. All feedback is definitely helpful to me. I'm particularly interested to get home and listen for the "hiss" issue, which I don't remember hearing at all - but hey, if I caught something like that as a result of posting here, then it's definitely worth it!

Oh, MC: the crickets are a loops from this sound effects website. I can post the link when I get home if you like - I have an entire folder of sample/loop/sounds websites that I can reference for just these occasions.Smiley

thanks again guys,
Chris
Reply #12
« on: January 22, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »
(earth to) CLINTON Offline

well, that was very good i dig it! generally i like "man and his guitar" type songs and i like the gravelly sounding vocals there. As far as the songwriting goes, its very good, if anything it could maybe be shortened..it possibly drags on a little too long? but then again i like songs short and sweet so thats just my preference.
On a technical note is was very good too, with the only noticeable thing to me being the hissy/ husky sound to the vocals, which cut through a little too much, maybe just cutting back the high end a little would be all thats required to fix this. Overall though well done you should be proud!  Cool

"You can turn a gold nugget into a fine piece of jewellery - but you can't turn a dog turd into gold"

http://www.earthtonigel.com
Reply #13
« on: January 22, 2004, 06:10:12 PM »
groucho Offline

Thanks for the input ETC. You're right about that "husky" kinda harsh sound to the vox. That was a result of my engaging too much of the onboard preamps of my recorder and not enough of my external preamp - still figuring out this new machine. I just did a new tune last night and thankfully, I've licked that high-end harshness thing during tracking now. But glad to hear you heard it too.

Thanks for listening!
Chris
Reply #14
« on: January 31, 2004, 12:30:49 AM »
Mac Offline

I am somewhat hesitant to share my opinions because I know that compared to most around here they are going to be vague and ill-informed Smiley   Although this is something I wouldn't pick up and listen to, the voice is distinctive and interesting (to me), it's quite a compelling sound.

My only criticism would be that around 2:30 when the piano peaks, the vocals aren't the center of attention and that makes them harder to follow for me.

I hope you like the critique forum you're now sitting in and put it to good use with more tracks Smiley  Btw - check out the sticky post here, I would suggest you try out MPC, you could get a better quality file in ~3mb less Smiley

(|-_-|)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: