AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 12, 2007, 03:16:37 AM
62625 Posts in 6212 Topics by 2165 Members
Latest Member: keith price
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  Split: Discussion from Rules & Tips Anncouncement
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Split: Discussion from Rules & Tips Anncouncement  (Read 1100 times)
« on: February 01, 2004, 01:16:35 PM »
monopoli Offline

I can't get this CEP/AA OggVorbis-plugin to work.
I just openend the zipfiles is my CEP-folder but when I open CEP I get the message that it can't find the Vorbis dll-file or something.
Isn't there somewhere a download that selfextracts to the right places or is there someone who can explain it step by step for the computer-illiterate that I still seem to be ?
Reply #1
« on: February 01, 2004, 03:40:43 PM »
Cal Offline

After reading the sticky post about all the different formats, I can see that, to participate, we better be ready for any and all.  Does WMA play all of them, or do we have to have multiple software/plugin playing capabilities?

This could get a bit cumbersome, with unending posts about plugins/players not working right -- how do I get it/them to work, etc.

cry

Reply #2
« on: February 01, 2004, 07:03:15 PM »
groucho Offline

Quote from: Cal
After reading the sticky post about all the different formats, I can see that, to participate, we better be ready for any and all.  Does WMA play all of them, or do we have to have multiple software/plugin playing capabilities?

This could get a bit cumbersome, with unending posts about plugins/players not working right -- how do I get it/them to work, etc.

cry

A good point. I think a good general rule is that if Windows Media Player doesn't play it, don't use it. I avoided Ogg Vorbis up till now because it would have required downloading Winamp, and I'm not about to add a whole new program just to hear someone's file. But now that there's a decoder for WMP... it's cool.

Needless to say, Real Audio, Quicktime, etc. should be avoided like the plague.Smiley On other such forums, mp3 is generally the accepted standard, for the reasons Cal outlined, and I suspect it'll be the same here.

Chris
Reply #3
« on: February 01, 2004, 07:30:59 PM »
plook Offline

The vorbis_gt3b1.flt from cool_vorbisGT3b1.zip doesn't work for me either. The referenced DLL isn't in the zipfile.
Reply #4
« on: February 02, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »
noddy Offline

While I agree with Mac's comments that Lame is the encoder of choice for MP3, I'd personally like to recommend RazorLame as a front end.
You can download it here
The reason I recommend it, is because it allows you to update the encoding engine, as new ones become available.
The most recent, as at the time of this post, is 3.95.1
I will keep the latest codec on my website on the yet to be created Downloads page.
For now, you can get Lame 3.95.1 here
To update the encoder in RazorLame, go to Edit/Options (not Edit/Lame options), and browse the new codec in the top section of the window.

Cheers,
Bruce.
Audio2u
The home of quality podcasts, including "Building the pod (Understanding Adobe Audition)" and "Sine Language", a discussion on all things audio.
Reply #5
« on: February 02, 2004, 11:28:59 PM »
Mac Offline

Monopoli & Pluke:
Sorry, I forgot that the newest compiles are done with ICL7.1 which annoyingly needs libmmd.dll, which is now linked to in the original post.

Cal & Groucho:
I want this to be better than other forums, so I would rather not settle with a comparatively crap format! I guess my 'thing' is audio compression, so using mp3 is akin to clipping your song to death just because everyone else does it these days Smiley

I have now included links to WMP, Winamp & CEP plugins for each of the three formats, so hopefully nobody should have trouble using them.  It's only 2 to 4 downloads, and it will hopefully save you time & space in the long run while pleasing your ears Cheesy

Noddy:
All2lame also runs on whatever compile of LAME you have in the directory, so it will run on the latest 3.95.1, 3.96.1 or 4.0? depending on what you have running (4.0 is *damn* fast!)  I've added RazorLame to the list though, thanks for the suggestion Smiley

Just to let you know, these posts will probably be deleted or moved off to a separate thread once the rules have been completed - just to leave the sticky in a 'clean' state.  But please keep on discussing until we get them sorted - I'm especially after some tips and guidelines for critiqueing other peoples songs.

(|-_-|)
Reply #6
« on: February 03, 2004, 06:09:24 AM »
bonnder Offline

I don't remember - does everybody have to give their real name when they register here?  Can you match "real" names with all the handles used on this forum?  That is - if I post a song copyrighted with my real name, and you don't know what my real name is, might you not suspect I have posted someone else's material?
Reply #7
« on: February 03, 2004, 09:48:07 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: bonnder
I don't remember - does everybody have to give their real name when they register here?  Can you match "real" names with all the handles used on this forum?  That is - if I post a song copyrighted with my real name, and you don't know what my real name is, might you not suspect I have posted someone else's material?

I would have thought not - because presumably you are going to provide some biographical or recording details, or whatever. But obviously you're not obliged to assert your rights in this way - it's just far easier to establish your credentials in your real name rather than through a pseudonym. OF course, if you make a deposition somewhere that says that you are also known as this pseudonym, then the problem (if it is one) doesn't arise.

I was merely thinking about this in people's best interests - nobody is obliged to do anything at all as far as copyright in their own material is concerned. But I would have thought that if you seriously thought that it was possible that your ideas would get ripped off, you'd want to take preventative steps if you could. There is actually another issue here as well, and when I've found out what constitutes a good answer to it, I'll post it - probably later on today.

Reply #8
« on: February 03, 2004, 12:19:50 PM »
noddy Offline

Quote from: Mac

...(4.0 is *damn* fast!)...

But 4.0 is only an alpha isn't it?
I haven't seen anything later than that labelled as 4.0.
If there is a stable 4.0, where did you find it? Smiley

Cheers,
Bruce.
Audio2u
The home of quality podcasts, including "Building the pod (Understanding Adobe Audition)" and "Sine Language", a discussion on all things audio.
Reply #9
« on: February 03, 2004, 01:59:45 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: I
There is actually another issue here as well, and when I've found out what constitutes a good answer to it, I'll post it - probably later on today.

And the issue is this: What happens if I record a cover version and post it here? Well, I got a good American answer to this question, but I haven't checked out a UK one yet. There is actually a very helpful article here, but it doesn't answer the inevitable question of how many people might download it, and therefore what you might owe. Fortunately, our site can tell you how many downloads there have been, so you haven't got an excuse not to pay the right amount, really....

Q. So what's the deal with the AudioMasters Recording Showcase and covers, then?

A. It's fine to post a cover, as long as you personally claim copyright to your particular arrangement, and arrange to check whether the song is in copyright or not. And please acknowledge the original composers/lyricists. This way, if there are any comebacks, then whoever's chasing you will be able to get the details anyway from the file. Basically the situation here is different - the copyright payment can't be refused, and so if it's paid, then there's no reason not to be able post your version of the song. There really couldn't be any comeback on AudioMasters (especially now I've posted this!), but you should be warned that the file and download information will be visible, and it will probably constitute a distribution, so it will be up to the individual to sort payments out for themselves.

Reply #10
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:31:03 PM »
plook Offline

OGG works great now, thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: