AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
January 31, 2012, 02:13:57 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2595 Members
Latest Member: gisnep336
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Audition CS5.5 AKA Audition 4
| | | |-+  So, how many of you are going to switch?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author
Topic: So, how many of you are going to switch?  (Read 3107 times)
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
PQ Offline

Hello again to everyone, I haven't posted (or read) here for a long time. But I am still an AA user.

I read a bit about v 4 or 5.5, whatever. So we got Mac support (not interested), and many features removed (Scripting [was crappy, but should have been fixed not killed], scientific filters, graphis phase shifter, frequency band splitter, read from ascii files, cd burning, timed recording, tone and noise generators, this list is reaaaally long). Then, I can't see anything really important added, and now I read that the program won't even read session files created by 3.0  shocked

How many of you are going to switch? I think I even won't bother with trying out the demo

Paweł Kuśmierek
Reply #1
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:19 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

...and many features removed (Scripting [was crappy, but should have been fixed not killed],

This is getting boring. Look, nothing has been removed, and nothing has definitely been killed. It just hasn't been added yet. I mean, yes there are some things that ought to be killed off - like MIDI, but even that hasn't actually been ditched officially. And anyway, there's an alternative to scripting that works better in some ways, but very few people seem to have explored that very much, if at all.

And the other thing is that you don't have to switch. All versions can co-exist quite happily, and the devs are pretty much expecting people to keep whatever they were using previously on machines - that's pretty inevitable for most users, one way or another.

Reply #2
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »
PQ Offline

This is getting boring. Look, nothing has been removed, and nothing has definitely been killed. It just hasn't been added yet.
Yet? So they just realeased an unfinished product? This is weird really.

And anyway, there's an alternative to scripting that works better in some ways, but very few people seem to have explored that very much, if at all.
OK, so maybe I'll give it a try.[/quote]

Paweł Kuśmierek
Reply #3
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:30:01 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Yet? So they just realeased an unfinished product? This is weird really.

Yes, that is absolutely correct - they did. If you read some of the other threads in this section, you'll get more of an explanation - I'm not typing it all up again!

Reply #4
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
richlepage Offline

Someone MUST be buying it besides me.... I just today got a confirmation email that the upgrade was shipped,
nearly 1 week after placing the order (by phone... and getting wrong info from the Adobe "store"). First I got an order
conf, but in French. Today's shipping confirm was in English though....
Reply #5
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:11:31 AM »
dobro Offline

The new parametric EQ rocks.  It's everything I wanted the other ones to be.  Last night I also tried the full reverb, and it sounded different to my ears than the other one.  Is that possible?
Reply #6
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »
runaway Offline

Someone MUST be buying it besides me

I'm using it and yes it is missing several extremely important features (manual pitch correction, clip stretching to name two) and yes there are a couple of things which need some 'adjustment' but damn if this thing doesn't rock!

I can now use AA to do some really zoomed in edits at 48k and not have to wait 2 seconds for things to happen but yes I have to convert back & forth between AA3 and AA5.5 to do clip stretching & manual pitch correction and then convert back again (I know a guy who knows a guy when it comes to conversions).

Yes it is a pain but once I'm past that part things are way better.

Reply #7
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:40:36 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

I've already posted elsewhere that the boxed copy is the coolest "jewel case" ever.

Like Steve said, these exist side-by-side.  So, will I switch?

No, because I will use them side-by-side, deciding what to do on a project-by-project basis.  Multitrack editing and 5.1 that doesn't depend on missing features DEFINITELY goes to AA4.  And I actually have some of both right now.
Reply #8
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

I'll skip this one and wait and see what the next incarnation has to offer.

Reply #9
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
richlepage Offline

Just received it, and first attempt to install yielded "installer won't start".  (cold rebooted, tried again, same result )There's a diagnostic it suggested I d/l and run, did so and it reported that it found no problems and that I should contact support.

I went to Adobe chat and gave the rep permission to share my screen. They tried to copy files from the DVD to the desktop for openers (Win XP SP3).  That ended that -- the DVD, factory fresh from Adobe, was bad!!  At least the wait for the online chat and remote session was not too bad, only a few minutes to get into... India.

They gave me download link and so far I've just installed it as a trial (they suggested), despite that I have a valid Adobe upgrade serial number from the disc package. From first peek it does seem fast, but have lots new to look at, tryout, tweak  etc with this-- so it will take a while when not otherwise busy to do that.  I did get the UA, Waves and Izotope plugs recognized and the MOTU interface channels assigned in the new version so far, but that was about it other than playing around with a test XML session file created with version 3. Of course as others have noted, it does drop all VST effects though, so I reinserted a few  with saved settings to play around with.  (btw, the UA plug manager is even easier to use than Izotope, which is good, the Waves one is my least favorite of the 3.)

Now I'll go to Adobe customer service to get a replacement disc, since we DID buy it that way. You have to phone to do that, and it says wait time is about an hour... so I'll forego that for a while.  Likely I will first uninstall the trial version and attempt a new full install later using the serial number- Adobe said I could use the one that came with the bad DVD.

Maybe they've had a run of bad physical product... hence the huge wait to notify them and get another copy sent?  The other curious thing was after they emailed a transcript of the support chat (which of course was in English)... a follow up email arrives... in French again. Strange since they have our address on file as being in the metro NYC area... heck, they shipped the product here....

I'm sure this saga will continue a bit!  Like others noted here, the tech support person in India did verify that you can run AA3 and the new one side by side and that originally when I called to order and asked Adobe that - it was completely incorrect info given us.

I was also told  another interesting tidbit: If you install as a trial and then later want to enter the product serial number, you will need the FULL serial number from AA3 as well, which they said you CANNOT get from the installed AA3 program "for security reasons". I said, well that might be a problem since we have 2 physical copies of AA3 here because it is on multiple systems. They did look up the full numbers for me and put them in the chat transcript though-- so now I'll just have to figure out which of the 2 copies is installed, but that should be straightforward enough (I guess, unless they are wrong again ...or sent me the s/n's from other Adobe software we have installed on the thing, like Prem El 9!)   

Ah, the "joys" of "progress".... yeah the cardboard jewel case in the LITTLE package is cool, though getting a bad install disc is pretty uncool.  I kinda doubt I'll be replying to the French "give us chat feedback" email though... my French is not exactly Parisian...
Reply #10
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »
ryclark Offline

It shouldn't matter which serial number you use with which PC, you only enter it to prove that you have bought the previous version. It won't check whether you have AA 3 installed at all or not or which serial number it is.
Reply #11
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
richlepage Offline

Thx for that info, that would seem very logical - it's just that Adobe has given us so much non-logical info so far with this!  I'll ride with the trial version for the moment, and await the replacement DVD for the defective one.  Then I'll uninstall the trial and for-real install it. As usual before installing anything, I also ran a Ghost image of the C drive off to an external storage drive- that has been a lifesaver several times.

I guess external controllers like the Alphatrack are among the things not implemented in this version, either that or I missed something in the brief time spent with it yesterday.

What time I did have yesterday was pretty well consumed by all the installation problems from the bad DVD and  time spent with Adobe online and (longest)  on the phone which was the only way they'd accept a "return/replace" order for the defective disc.  (though no "return" necessary)

The 3rd rep I did get on the phone (after a wait of maybe 20 minutes) said I am not the only one to receive a bad disc.    I guess this came down to  rushing to make a corp release schedule, so much that quality control went out the window!  So it seems that they're now getting many calls about product that will not install- no wonder those wait times!  The address on the packing slip seemed familiar .. turns out it's JVC in Georgia USA who must be their replicator. We have done dozens of masters they have replicated for clients and usually they are very good, so that was surprising.

Also despite  mentioning all the English/French problems with this order (and being assured "we'll correct that for you"), a while after I got off the phone, yet another follow up email arrived, in French again...  Oh well... I'll try to spend a little more time with it late today. Off to actual audio work (with AA3.01) for now!
Reply #12
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

...said I am not the only one to receive a bad disc.   

Oops.  Really big oops.

When JVC has a bad day, that's not a good thing.  Obviously.

Sorry to hear of your hassles and thanks for updating us.
Reply #13
« on: May 13, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
dobro Offline

I won't be switching to the new software, but I will definitely be buying it and using it alongside AA3.  And I would like to buy it in disk form, so I'd like to know if anyone else has had installation grief using the disk.  Anyone?  huh
Reply #14
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »
richlepage Offline

Unless I'm missing something, I can't seem to figure how to export a multitrack session out to sep tracks in 5.5.  In AA 3 you can easily export to master
and sep tracks.  This is a big one for us, because some clients pre-build that way and send us the resulting sep tracks and ses/XML project file. 
Then we usually bring the sep tracks into a new project for further work and espeically to do processing and mixing.

The speed improvements seem quite good though after a little more messing around with it. There seems a slight increase in "rendering" speed as well when mixing down with a lot of 3rd party plugs in use like Izotope, UA and Waves, though under that scenario the speed improvement is somewhat less --but that's a subjective observation.  I'm playing with/testing it using a project that has about 20 tracks, several subgroups and return "bus" faders for 5 reverb/delay plugs. Most of the channels have non-Adobe plugs on them, a few also have AA3 EQ (which 5.5 converted fine) and the master channel has maybe 5 plugs including Ozone.  The automation (imported from the AA3.01 source project) is used on many tracks, though mostly just for levels and sometimes switching on/off some plug ins for certain sections.

One positive sign was that I could freely move around through sections of this project (which is about 80 minutes long) and play/work with/adjust sections with no hiccups or glitches which I'd usually get working that way in AA3.01- especially if doing so rapidly.  Related to this (I think) was also that using 2x speed selected for fast fwd, for the first time ever with Audition, I could jog/cruise through the audio without hiccups in multitrack view.  In all previous versions, whenever 3rd party plugs were being used, that did not really work at all - in 3.01 always hiccups and stutters and sometimes it would simply crash.  So I'd have to conclude  the new under the hood stuff really is a big improvement on that front.  I was amazed to see that work so tried a few other speeds and I think I got up to 6x and it still worked. When you resume play there is one short delay before playing at normal speed starts, but that may be more of a MOTU interface thing, not sure-- even so, that's really good. 

But... Is exporting to "master and sep tracks"  as a mixdown format possible with current 5.5 -- or is that another thing left out so far - anyone know? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: