AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
January 31, 2012, 10:09:43 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2595 Members
Latest Member: gisnep336
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Audition CS5.5 AKA Audition 4
| | | |-+  So, how many of you are going to switch?
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author
Topic: So, how many of you are going to switch?  (Read 3103 times)
Reply #30
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
silversurf Offline

Colin, the only thing that worries me about that very slightly is that I'm wondering what would happen to the idea of referring to Audition CS5.5 as that if, by some chance, the lads managed to get a significant upgrade out before CS6 was released? At least if you refer to it as a specific Audition number, you can differentiate easily...

Well, I can't comment on that scenario specifically (nor do I want to set any expectations around this). Generally speaking, I would guess that marketing folks would find a suitable way to handle something like this (and yes you're welcome to laugh at me for placing that much faith in marketing... smiley ).

-Colin
Reply #31
« on: May 15, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
dobro Offline

Hi all,

I'm the Program Manager for Audition, regarding the versioning and naming discussion...

If you guys call it AA4, we on the team know what you're talking about and none of us will get offended. Just note that the main technical support folks probably won't get this if you somehow wind up talking to them, in that case it would be best to use "Audition CS5.5" for clarity (FWIW).

Or if we're talking with someone who doesn't hang out on these Audition forums much.  They'll be calling it AA CS5.5 and thinking AA4 refers to something else.  I've been calling it AA CS5.5 because *everybody* knows what that means.  AA4 is easier to type though.  Think I'll join the in crowd.
Reply #32
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Generally speaking, I would guess that marketing folks would find a suitable way to handle something like this (and yes you're welcome to laugh at me for placing that much faith in marketing... smiley ).

Er, I think that would be inward groaning, not laughing at you at all. After all, we've all seen what they  can achieve...  wink

Actually that might be a good definition of marketing - people with curiously misplaced faith in their ideas of how to sell things!

Reply #33
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
richlepage Offline

It was very nice to see Colin jump in on the forum here. He had replied to me privately earlier today after I reported some of the goings on we'd been experiencing and he indicated he would be posting.  I think that it's great, no matter what we're going to call this release!
Reply #34
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
richlepage Offline

Last little bit for the day-- if you do try the Resource Central feature and download anything, such material will wind up in a folder on your C drive in documents and settings\all users\adobe (at least on XP).  I didn't see anything in prefs settings that will allow you to change that.  I just tried it by downloading a footsteps fx clip and then attempting to add that to my open project (which again was imported but by now had been saved in sesx format).  I couldn't easily find the file,  though the resource central box indicated I'd downloaded it.  (in fairness my 2 current "test projects" DO have a heck of a lot of files in them, but they are fairly typical projects for us).

So I did an XP search and that's  where the clip wound up.  Need to allow the user to change that in the prefs, the same way I'd  previously been able to change prefs to set temp file locations to how we have always used them in AA3 (i.e. NOT on the C drive).  The res. central file was at 48 and my project at 44.1 but no worries, it offered to make me a converted copy and did so.

I can imagine if anyone actually downloads a lot from Resource Central there's going to be a big reduction in available space on their C drive... usually that tends to make Mr Msoft a bit unhappy. Once I found the folder and file, I simply moved it elsewhere before SR converting and adding in the d/loaded clip.
Reply #35
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
pwhodges Online

the only thing that worries me about that very slightly is that I'm wondering what would happen to the idea of referring to Audition CS5.5 as that if, by some chance, the lads managed to get a significant upgrade out before CS6 was released? At least if you refer to it as a specific Audition number, you can differentiate easily...

MS have the answer, of course:  Audition CS5.5 R2

Paul
Reply #36
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:49:15 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Last little bit for the day-- if you do try the Resource Central feature and download anything, such material will wind up in a folder on your C drive in documents and settings\all users\adobe (at least on XP). 

Yes, for some users Resource Central may well be useful - and although I've tried it, I didn't find anything I wanted to download, so I didn't. This was mainly because I don't have a huge amount of use for American SFX! I didn't realise that the download location was fixed though - I'll have to have a look at that.

Reply #37
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »
richlepage Offline

Some sfx there certainly aren't too country-specific, like footsteps. Some of what  I heard at Res. Central (and it was only random browsing) I doubt we'd use much - or ever at all -- but some seemed OK. 

Noticed when I did download some "feet" and pasted/looped multple times to fill a section that grouping clips is another thing gone for the moment - also saw that in the Adobe notes Steve linked but worth a mention here. The overlapping (crossfading) of each pasted iteration seemed fine though, worked iike AA3. For what I was doing, working around no "group clips" feature wasn't difficult though.
Reply #38
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:49:13 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Some sfx there certainly aren't too country-specific, like footsteps. Some of what  I heard at Res. Central (and it was only random browsing) I doubt we'd use much - or ever at all -- but some seemed OK. 

Have all the generic stuff anyway, or record it fresh when needed. There's nothing wrong with the rest of it, it's just America-specific - to the exclusion of all else.

Reply #39
« on: May 16, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
richlepage Offline

I agree, we also have many of the major SFX libraries here like BBC, S/Ideas, H'wood Edge etc. And like you, we often do custom stuff when it makes sense - it's a favorite little thing to add many times- and can be faster than buidling some things from generic SFX bits.  Sometimes we do Foley with actors too..  but given most budgets,  we don't get to do that much!
Reply #40
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
Liquid Fusion Offline

CS5.5 doesn't operate on AMD Athlon PC 1.8GHZ 2 Gig ram PC. I'll wait until I make option trading profits to build a new PC.

Reply #41
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »
gToon Offline

I dove right in and used 5.5 to sound design a 16 minute animated film. Despite some very minor frustrations (oh, that's where that is now) it rocked for me. Faster, easier layout, etc. I like it a lot. I run a home built 2.6 intel, 8g ram, Win 7 64bit.  smiley
Reply #42
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:41:58 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

We do lots of griping here and arguing over the finer points, so it's great to hear of a success story.  Thanks, gToon.
Reply #43
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:22 PM »
runaway Offline

I know I'm finding some annoying things but the good stuff is really good.

Reply #44
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:17 PM »
pwhodges Online

I don't miss the CD writing, as I never used it - the facilities in WaveLab are incomparably better for that.  What CS5.5 now enables me to do is to open 4-channel files and edit them.  Even though I can't yet record them, create them (!) or use them in multitrack (not sensibly anyway, they can be used but the channel routing is not as you'd expect), this is a huge benefit for me.

Sound Forge can handle multi-channel files too, but rejects my ambisonic files (which are Wave-Ex files with a different GUID); whereas Audition opens them, just with a warning (it writes them back without the GUID, which I can live with).  Sound Forge also has no spectral editing, which I can now use for editing 4-channel files for the first time.  Multi-channel files can be used in Reaper to get the multitrack facilities.

Basically, I now have a specific reason to use Audition again for some operations, which has not been the case for several years; though it still can't do all I want, just like all the other software which I can afford. angry

Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: