AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:47:10 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition Wish List
| | |-+  I guess its official
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author
Topic: I guess its official  (Read 7333 times)
« on: June 23, 2010, 05:11:32 PM »
runaway Offline

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/5618

Reply #1
« on: June 23, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Wildduck Offline

I'll leave it to SteveG to be negative about the Mac but, as someone who has done battle with Vista and is now fighting to the death with Win 7, I'm now too exhausted to want to fight another modern OS full of features that get in the way and are hard to remove.

I'd have cheered for a Linux port, especially if it shipped with a lite Linux ready to dual boot, but I suppose that will never come, and it looks as though Macs will remain triumphant in the video world.

Jason is still brilliant, though!
Reply #2
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I'll leave it to SteveG to be negative about the Mac but, as someone who has done battle with Vista and is now fighting to the death with Win 7, I'm now too exhausted to want to fight another modern OS full of features that get in the way and are hard to remove.

Yes it's common knowledge that I don't like them. Tried one again yesterday, and they still suck. But there again, I was hardly expecting them not to. What's all that icon-leaping-about crap happening at the bottom of the screen? Can you get rid of it? It's very off-putting...

I'd have cheered for a Linux port, especially if it shipped with a lite Linux ready to dual boot, but I suppose that will never come, and it looks as though Macs will remain triumphant in the video world.

Linux would have actually been a step forwards, rather than a step back into some sort of Jobs oblivion...

The official announcement from Adobe is at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/

But I have to warn you now that I can't discuss anything beyond what you can find on that page - strictly verboten.

Reply #3
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:39:49 AM »
runaway Offline

I love macs - but only the big ones which come with fries  grin

I had to use one the other day (I would have chewed off my left arm if I could have) but at one point I had to disconnect the portable drive - now tell me in whose world is it that you drag it into the bin to do that.  Dragging any drive into a bin means only one thing to me.  But hey its probably just me again.

I guess its just like when the young kids come into the studio what do i know i don't even own a Metalica t-shirt let alone wear one!

evil

Reply #4
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
ozpeter Offline

I guess this gives us pointers to what's coming on the PC version assuming they will be identical.

I notice....

Undo history
8 hold positions on the frequency analyser (up from 4)
Show LED meters
Opening files in the background (presumably they mean creating pk files and/or doing internal conversions
Display of waveform and spectral display at the same time, ex Soundbooth
Better integration of edit view and multitrack
Overview display of multitrack
Frequency analysis in multitrack
Multichannel mixing in the mixer
Multichannel editing in edit view
Improved NR UI
Diagnostics panel
Surround reverb
Amplitude statistics display improvements

Generally seems to be a matter of playing to Audition's strengths rather than trying to compete in markets which are very well and very cheaply covered by other programs.  However, the video obviously doesn't show all the new stuff on offer.

Jason's ability to make some bog standard stuff sound new and exciting is pretty remarkable!

No mention of midi... so either they've dropped that or they are not planning to extend midi functionality much further.  I personally hope that the ability to use midi instruments played live alongside real ones is at least retained.  That doesn't require any actual midi editing functionality, just midi record and playback.

Will I upgrade in due course?  Well, only if that will enable me to do stuff which I personally want to do, which I can't already do now with the current version plus other software.  In other words, everyone's mileage varies.
Reply #5
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I guess this gives us pointers to what's coming on the PC version assuming they will be identical.

There will be a mutiny if it isn't!

Jason's ability to make some bog standard stuff sound new and exciting is pretty remarkable!

It has a downside - if he underplays something important, you might not appreciate it for what it is, or means. And there is a typical case in that video. He mentions modeless operation, but doesn't exactly play it hard. It's quite normal in a lot of other apps, but it's only when you've tried it in Audition that you realise just how damn useful it is, and how much difference it makes.

If you want to try an audio app that has it, then try the demo of iZotope's RX - that does it.

Reply #6
« on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
pwhodges Offline

What's all that icon-leaping-about crap happening at the bottom of the screen? Can you get rid of it? It's very off-putting...

Of course you can, dead easy; I have on my Mac.  And my 64-bit Windows 7 looks rather like Windows 2000 too.

It looks as though Steinberg will have WaveLab for the Mac out before Adobe even get to the public beta stage with Audition.  On the other hand, if Audition really gets full multichannel editing, that will (for me) trump WaveLab (whose developer last year discounted this for the next version).  There's a reason I keep up to date with both...

Paul
Reply #7
« on: June 24, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
pwhodges Offline

Ah, so it seems that "multichannel" means 1, 2 or 6 channels.  Not so good for all those 3 and 4 channel files I use...

Ah well, I can still handle those in SourceForge and Reaper!

Paul
Reply #8
« on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »
ozpeter Offline

9000+ views of the first demo on YouTube - I'd say that was reasonably healthy interest.  It will be interesting to see how the hit rate moves over the next couple of weeks.
Reply #9
« on: July 13, 2010, 12:34:17 AM »
beetle Offline
Global Moderator

Count me in as another person whi strongly dislikes the mac, and most things Apple.  They are backward and very non-intuitive.

Reply #10
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
dlt123 Offline

I notice....

Undo history
8 hold positions on the frequency analyser (up from 4)
Show LED meters
Opening files in the background (presumably they mean creating pk files and/or doing internal conversions
Display of waveform and spectral display at the same time, ex Soundbooth
Better integration of edit view and multitrack
Overview display of multitrack
Frequency analysis in multitrack
Multichannel mixing in the mixer
Multichannel editing in edit view
Improved NR UI
Diagnostics panel
Surround reverb
Amplitude statistics display improvements

Generally seems to be a matter of playing to Audition's strengths rather than trying to compete in markets which are very well and very cheaply covered by other programs.  However, the video obviously doesn't show all the new stuff on offer.

No mention of midi... so either they've dropped that or they are not planning to extend midi functionality much further.  I personally hope that the ability to use midi instruments played live alongside real ones is at least retained.  That doesn't require any actual midi editing functionality, just midi record and playback.

Will I upgrade in due course?  Well, only if that will enable me to do stuff which I personally want to do, which I can't already do now with the current version plus other software.  In other words, everyone's mileage varies.

Ozpeter, has it been announced anywhere, officially, that there will be a V4 on a PC version.  I haven't seen or heard anything mentioned about a new PC version, other than speculation.

Does anyone know if a PC version is in the pipeline?

Dennis
Reply #11
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
ronmac Offline
Do Not Adjust Your Set Posts: 92

Just listened to the latest edition of Building The Pod. Bruce seems to be quite excited about the pending release of V4.
Reply #12
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:59:34 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Does anyone know if a PC version is in the pipeline?

Like I said before, there will be a mutiny if there isn't! But since I think that this was merely an oversight in the way the press release/video was formulated, I'll tell you definitely that there is. And if you think about it logically, there has to be. Otherwise the developers would be in the position of having to create a new app for a platform where nobody had any prior expectations or experience of the software, and that would have made it remarkably difficult to develop, believe it or not. Audition gets tested pretty extensively before it's released, and this of necessity requires at least some testers who are intimately familiar with what went before, what to expect, and also what would be desirable. So that requires PC users. And I'll pre-empt your next question - yes, the versions will have identical features - otherwise there'll be another mutiny!

But beyond that, I can only confirm that the features mentioned so far in the press announcement will be in both platform versions. But, because the OS platforms are different, the bugs will almost certainly be different too, and that's not exactly going to make supporting it easy...

Reply #13
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »
andres Offline

I upgraded to AA3 quite late, less than one year ago, after several years of AA1.5.
In general, I find AA3 very complete, very stable (and about this thing I was quite skeptical before buying it); what I find absolutely not usable it's MIDI (slow and cpu-intensive).

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #14
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »
beetle Offline
Global Moderator

I just hate all the anticipation of a new version of AA.  I'm really hoping Adobe includes some kind of frequency modeling.  Syntrillium's philosophy was to encourage the user to work for it, but i'm hoping Adobe sees things a bit differently.  That feature would be very useful for me.

I also hope they see fit to license Alexey Lukin's MBIT+ SRC and dither.  It's far superior to anything else out there, and even Sound Forge now uses it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: