AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:45:15 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Adobe Audition 3.0
| | | |-+  Session file format heads-up
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Session file format heads-up  (Read 2363 times)
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Audition's product manager has indicated in his blog some information you might like to bear in mind regarding session files and the future of Audition. Basically, he's saying that binary session files are dead, and that from now onwards in new releases, Audition isn't going to support them for new projects. .xml files for sessions are absolutely fine - it's all I've been using recently, and I've had absolutely no problems at all with them - and they are human-readable, unlike the binary .ses files!

You can read the blog entry here.

I wouldn't worry too much about being able to import existing sessions into new versions, because I think that Adobe will provide some sort of converter, and I'm pretty damn sure that AATranslator will also have the facility added as well.

Also it's worthy of note that in this blog, Audition appears to be set to continue to exist for at least another 30 years!

Reply #1
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:22:12 PM »
Graeme Online
Administrator

Audition appears to be set to continue to exist for at least another 30 years!

Would that I was Smiley .

Reply #2
« on: April 25, 2010, 12:12:39 AM »
alanofoz Offline

Hmmm... If I follow in my father's footsteps I just might.  tongue

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #3
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:46:27 AM »
runaway Offline

I certainly don't want to be working on daw convertors for that long!  rolleyes

Reply #4
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
richlepage Offline

Very helpful - thx much for posting this.
Reply #5
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
ronmac Offline
Do Not Adjust Your Set Posts: 92

Thanks Steve. It's always the little things that plague us at some point, and you have quite possibly helped many of us have a brighter day at a future point in time.

Cheers.
Reply #6
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

Good to know the development continues on AA.  I was starting to get a little concerned because it has been a few years since any version update happened with Audition. 

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #7
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I was starting to get a little  concerned because it has been a few years since any version update happened with Audition. 

Actually it hasn't been - the 3.0.1 patch was released on 12th Dec 2008 - 16 months ago. And if you count the foreign language versions of the update, it was rather less still - like last summer.

Reply #8
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:43:51 AM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

I was starting to get a little  concerned because it has been a few years since any version update happened with Audition. 

Actually it hasn't been - the 3.0.1 patch was released on 12th Dec 2008 - 16 months ago. And if you count the foreign language versions of the update, it was rather less still - like last summer.
Okay, but it's still only a patch.  You forgot to count the RMS statistics patch too.  16 months is an eternity relative to software development and updating, if you think about it.  At least I consider it an eternity relative to contemporary software development and updates. 
Anyway, it has still been quite awhile since we've heard or seen anything from Adobe about Audition.

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #9
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Okay, but it's still only a patch.  You forgot to count the RMS statistics patch too.  16 months is an eternity relative to software development and updating, if you think about it.  At least I consider it an eternity relative to contemporary software development and updates. Anyway, it has still been quite awhile since we've heard or seen anything from Adobe about Audition.

Hmm... Patch = Version Update as far as I'm concerned. Version update means exactly that - no new features, but anything easily rectified with a particular version gets updated. New features has invariably equated to new version with Adobe - that's common knowledge.

And the RMS statistics patch was released six months earlier - I didn't forget it, I just mentioned the most recent one - which happens to have that patch included in it.

The timing of software releases and updates is quite irrelevant. If the software works, and you are able to use it for real jobs without major hassle, then that's sufficient. And that is the purpose of software - to be able to use it, not just hang around waiting for new versions and complaining about it when they don't turn up every five minutes.

Reply #10
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
ryclark Offline

Adobe have been working on the Soundbooth update for CS5 which is now released. So hopefully they can now spend more of their time on Audition smiley
Reply #11
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

The timing of software releases and updates is quite irrelevant. If the software works, and you are able to use it for real jobs without major hassle, then that's sufficient. And that is the purpose of software - to be able to use it, not just hang around waiting for new versions and complaining about it when they don't turn up every five minutes.
You mean all software is not like Windows OS where they constantly have to update their mistakes?   tongue

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #12
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

You mean all software is not like Windows OS where they constantly have to update their mistakes?   tongue

I would have thought that anybody who uses Microsoft as a role-model for how software should be organised should be delighted (after a few moments of logical  thought, of course...) that not every other vendor operates like this!  tongue tongue wink

Reply #13
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:05:14 PM »
runaway Offline

FWIW I prefer the binary format to xml but thats just me  evil

Reply #14
« on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »
ryclark Offline

After all your work on translating session files I expect that you are fluent in binary now which makes it easier for you.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: