AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 31, 2008, 07:08:22 PM
66307 Posts in 6739 Topics by 1705 Members
Latest Member: Bunny
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  "MS Mixer" for Cool Edit and Audition
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: "MS Mixer" for Cool Edit and Audition  (Read 465 times)
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:53:53 PM »
ozpeter Offline

Out of the blue I've had an email enquiry concerning the MS Mixer plugin for Cool Edit / Audition. 

I have to say I'd completely forgotten about it!  You put the .xfm file in the program's main folder and restart the program, then look in the effects menus for "amplitude" and you'll see "MS Mixer" as a sub-option.  This is nothing to do with VST effects, it's a built in thing.

Probably these days you would actually use one or more VST plugins for the purpose, but in case anyone else wants the original effect, I've attached it to this post.

In Audition 3.0, you can't preview the post and make changes to the sliders and expect to hear the result.  Each time you change the sliders, you have to stop preview and restart it in order to hear the change.  I don't know about how well it works in other versions.
Reply #1
« on: November 22, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
zemlin Online

Thanks.  I had lost my copy of MS Mixer somewhere along the way.

Reply #2
« on: November 23, 2008, 05:46:03 PM »
isaacl Offline

Any specific vst plugins you'd reccomend to take out the voice?
Thanks.
Reply #3
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
ryclark Offline

There aren't really any recommended VSTs for that. Audition has it's Centre Channel Extractor built in which is about the best there is.
Reply #4
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
zemlin Online

It's a very material-dependent process.  It's just not possible for some mixes.  For others the channel mixer will put out the lead vocal clean.  MS Mixer, Channel Mixer, and the Center Channel Extractor all have their strengths.  I sometimes get the best results when I do the same clip with several methods and mix all the resulting files together.

Reply #5
« on: November 24, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Not to mention chopping out the centre in the phase or pan display.  So I won't.

OK, I will... I did one of my regular Audition presentations to a group of radio students today, and one of the party tricks I do is to take a Norah Jones track in pan view, highlight the centre during the vocals, and reduce the level by about 15 dB and add a generous amount of reverb.  So you get the originally dry upfront vocal set back in the distance.  Always impresses, along with using the healing brush to remove a concert cough.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: