AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
May 20, 2010, 01:40:27 AM
70515 Posts in 7368 Topics by 2192 Members
Latest Member: MeetPlanB
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Free OGG to Mp3 Converter?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Free OGG to Mp3 Converter?  (Read 4327 times)
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Must_know Offline

Does anyone know of a free OGG to Mp3 Converter?

Reply #1
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »
Emmett Offline

dbpoweramp should do it, but you're taking lossy to lossy, which will be double compression.

Emmett
Reply #2
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »
ZergFood Offline

Why do you need it? If you can listen to oggs then it's better to keep it that way -- converting it will only lose quality, and not lower the file size at all.
Reply #3
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Why do you need it?

Are there a lot of portable players around that can play oggs?

Reply #4
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »
ZergFood Offline

To be frank I thought they were getting popular, but I'm starting to think this doesn't necessarily apply, although I do own one.
Reply #5
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »
Havoc Offline

The whole Cowon range plays Ogg and there are others. The Cowons even play flac.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #6
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »
pwhodges Offline

Are there a lot of portable players around that can play oggs?

Some - my old iriver does.  And some others can use the open-source Rockbox firmware; I use it in my old iriver, which thus has support for AC3, AAC (m4a), DTS et al.

Paul
Reply #7
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Fascinating. I haven't looked seriously at any of these personal players for ages - I have no use for them. But it's interesting that they're not all dedicated to MP3 and whatever that iPod thing uses.

Reply #8
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
pwhodges Offline

Fascinating. I haven't looked seriously at any of these personal players for ages - I have no use for them.

I have two, both the long-obsolete iriver H340 with larger disks than original - one with a large proportion of my CDs on, and one for my own recordings.  I use it with good in-ear phones (Etymotic ER-4P) while walking the dogs*, to listen to stuff I'm currently working on**.  There are times, for instance, when an edit can sound good until you are not concentrating on it so much; if there's something wrong it catches the attention when it shouldn't have done.  I agree that this may not be a professional way of working, but then I'm not a professional these days  tongue .

Rather amusingly, the one place on all the CDs I've made that people commonly pick out as a poor edit isn't an edit at all, but just how it was played.

whatever that iPod thing uses.

evil  AAC/m4a.

Paul

* very slowly, at present, as Lucy (not the one in my avatar) broke a leg last week, and now has a lot of metal in it - that's cost the insurance company nearly £3500 before we start on the after-care.

** This can be in WAV format - it doesn't need to be compressed to go on there.
Reply #9
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:44:22 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

The reason that I have no use for them is simply because I have several portable minidisc recorders (including one that will play 16-bit wav files), and a portable CD player. Also, my ears don't exactly suit earbuds (or is that the other way around?), and walking about with a decent pair of cans on is sorta weird, unless you are recording something.

And it seems that I'm in the wrong business - again. I should obviously be doing dog repairs - for that sort of money! My bro-in-law's insurance company had to fork out £800 just to get his cat's leg splinted, along with the aftercare. Where have we gone wrong?

Reply #10
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
pwhodges Offline

for that sort of money!

To be fair, they quoted about £2000 - but when they opened up the leg, they found the bone broken into no less than eight pieces, and so the operation was much longer than expected and used more metalware (e.g. 7 orthopedic screws: £105, plate: £240; I guess they are individually packed in sterile packs, of course).  We have been unable to explain how the bone got so broken, with no untoward damage to the surrounding soft tissues.

Paul
Reply #11
« on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

(e.g. 7 orthopedic screws: £105, plate: £240; I guess they are individually packed in sterile packs, of course). 

I realise that metal prices have increased quite a bit recently, but titanium screws (which is probably what they are) currently cost about 50p each in small quantities. And the implant-grade plate costs way less than that for a 6x6 sheet, although that doesn't include forming costs, admittedly. And you only need to autoclave them before you use them, so what's going on here, especially with the screws?

Reply #12
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:25:29 PM »
jamesp Offline

I realise that metal prices have increased quite a bit recently, but titanium screws (which is probably what they are) currently cost about 50p each in small quantities.

Those high prices also apply to humans - I was talking to an orthapedic surgeon who mentioned that the titanium screws that I was screwing in at the time would cost around a hundred each if I wanted to use them for medical use.

Cheers

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Audio Mastering, Duplication and Restoration
Reply #13
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

So who's getting all this money? Why isn't it me?

Reply #14
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
Ashutosh Offline

Yes dear you can convert OGG to MP3 file.

Search the free tool in google and convert your music file to another extension...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: