AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 03:11:17 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  "Hard Limiting" a MIDI file (Ringtone-related)
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: "Hard Limiting" a MIDI file (Ringtone-related)  (Read 296 times)
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:05:44 PM »
zemlin Offline

Sorry for the stupid ring-tone post, but my wife has a great MIDI file she wants to use as a ring tone.  The problem is, she doesn't hear her phone - it just isn't very loud.

I know very little about MIDI, but I know there is velocity data as well as volumes associated with each track.

I'l like to find a "hard limiting" or at least a "normalize" function that I could do with this MIDI file to boost the velocity and volumes in the file without destroying the mix.

Any tricks?  Volume I don't have a problem with - I know worst case is I load it into a midi editor and bump them up - changing velocities, however, I'm not sure about.

Reply #1
« on: July 23, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

My understanding of this is that you have to alter the MIDI file velocity data so that the file actually sounds okay on the phone - a MIDI version of a mix, if you like. Then find the loudest track, and set this to 127 (max velocity), and scale all of the rest accordingly. And even this may not sound  too great, because...

As far as how audible it is is concerned, it's a matter of finding out what the peak output frequencies of the phone are, and rearranging the file so that these are the ones that get used at a highest level. But most of the MIDI ringtones I've heard come out at about the same level - so unless the one she's got is really quiet, I wouldn't expect to be able to make that much difference to it. The rings that work best are the simple ones. As far as we're concerned in this household, the main reason for having different rings is so that we can tell who's phone it actually is that's ringing - after that, this whole posh ringtone thing is all rather fanciful, IMHO.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: