AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 14, 2015, 11:10:41 PM
75931 Posts in 8051 Topics by 2825 Members
Latest Member: Josky
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Hardware and Soundcards
| | |-+  Behringer BCF 2000 B-Control setup for Audition 1.5
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Behringer BCF 2000 B-Control setup for Audition 1.5  (Read 30041 times)
« on: May 22, 2005, 06:32:39 PM »
EnochLight Offline

Not sure if this could be posted as a sticky, because I'm certain there are other users out there who are wondering the same.  It took me months to figure this out, so I thought I'd share the information for those who are having as much trouble.

It's as simple as setting the BCF2000 into the Mackie Control mode by holding the 4th button on the top row in while booting, and then hitting Exit after it boots. It will read "NCSo" in the LCD screen, which more than likely means "Mackie Contol Surface". Then, start Audition and set your controller to the Mackie Control under the Device Properties / Ext. Controller. It must be in USB mode to work...I think. Select the USB device under the Configure / MIDI Input/Output Device menus (it should be called "USB Audio Device").  You may have to restart Audition for changes to take effect, but for me they instantly snap into position.

In the future, make sure your BCF2000 is turned on prior to starting Audition. When you do, the BCF2000 will snap its sliders into place!

To restore the BCF2000 to its default preset (so it can be used, for instance, with Reason 3.0) just hold in the first top button during boot (you may have to press Exit aftwerwards).

The BCF2000 and Audition is a match made in heaven. For less than $200 USD, I've got a great hardware control surface for Audition. Why blow $1000 USD on a Mackie?  

This has been tested with Audition 1.5; other versions may vary.

Cheers,

EnochLight

Reply #1
« on: May 22, 2005, 07:56:49 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Yes, it's useful to know, and yes it can be sticky - but this seems to be the most appropriate forum for it (rather than Audition general). And I've taken the liberty of changing the title slightly.- hope you don't mind!

Reply #2
« on: May 22, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »
EnochLight Offline

Agreed; thanks Steve!

Cheers,

EnochLight

Reply #3
« on: June 02, 2005, 10:53:49 PM »
alanofoz Offline

We covered this in a lot of detail in this thread. Especially look for posts by bonnder and myself, starting on page 2 which is where I've linked to.

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #4
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:02:18 AM »
EnochLight Offline

Quote from: alanofoz
We covered this in a lot of detail in this thread. Especially look for posts by bonnder and myself, starting on page 2 which is where I've linked to.

Ironically, I tried searching for a "how to setup" the BCF2000 and Audition and couldn't find that thread.  I'm hoping this sticky - with it's subject title - will allow others in the future to find the instructions much easier.

That said, the thread you pointed to is an interesting - albeit VERY lengthy - read!

Cheers,

EnochLight

Reply #5
« on: February 06, 2006, 05:21:13 PM »
Virgil21 Offline

Quote from: EnochLight
... I thought I'd share the information for those who are having as much trouble ...

Well, I have just taken delivery of a BCF2000 to use with Audition 2 and I have not got as far as emulation yet. I need to update the firmware first.

I have read the manuals and downloaded the necessary files from the website and read all the posts I can find here - but I still have questions.

I am running Windows XP, with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and I want to control Audition 2 for mixing down the track-lays from my video edits.

The manuals confuse me as what "USB MIDI compatibility" is. I have never used MIDI before and so is this USB/MIDI just a Behringer thing? They illustrate some complicated setups involving either USB or MIDI or both.

Q1:
So, for my purposes, can I ignore USB and just connect the MIDIs from the Behringer to the soundcard? (IN>OUT and OUT>IN, I have read.)

Next, the firmware upgrade. I have the upgrade utility from the website and the firmware update (my machine is v1.03). The manual describes how to do this but I get lost at the point where is says that when you choose the firmware and load it this will open a window letting me "select the destination hardware port for dumping". So:

Q2:
(a) what port do I select?
(b) where/how do I select it?
(c) how do I confirm my selection?

You can understand that, as it is a firmware update, I am being very cautious and I need to be clear about the procedure before attempt to carry it out.

Finally, Mackie emulation.

Q3:
If I follow the guidlines here for enabling Mackie emulation, is that it? Will the controls then be set up for use with Audition - at least sufficiently to get me started. or have I to do anything else after that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply #6
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »
Virgil21 Offline

Quote from: Virgil21

Well, I have just taken delivery of a BCF2000 to use with Audition 2 and I have not got as far as emulation yet. I need to update the firmware first.

May I add another question!?

The Behringer website has a note beside the "Firmware update utility" which states: "Please update USB MIDI drivers from 1.0.0.2 to 1.1.1.1 first before using this utility."

Can I assume that this is irrelevant if I use only the MIDI cables to connect or for updating, do I need to use the USB connection method?

They are not clear about what connection method one needs to use for updating firmware.

Perhaps this is a really matter for Behringer Support, but in case anyone answers my posts here, I'll leave off contacting them until I see if anyone here has experiene of this procedure which they are willing to pass on to me.

Thanks again.
Reply #7
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:23:46 PM »
alanofoz Offline

Virgil, This may not answer all of your specific questions, but look at this thread which should get you going. Try out my suggestions, if you still have specific questions once you've done that come back and ask.

One thing I would recommend though, is to use USB. I tried MIDI connections initially, but it seemed more stable with USB. One cable is more convenient too, and this mode will provide you with additional MIDI ports.

I never updated the MIDI drivers and have had no problems. I vaguely remember a hint that this is only necessary for some systems. YMMV.

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #8
« on: February 06, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
Virgil21 Offline

... but look at this thread ...

Thanks for that. I have read that and all the other relevant threads. And you do answer question (1). I am not sure if I have a spare USB port which is really why I wanted to go down the MIDI line.

I wonder could I go MIDI to start and then change to USB if I find a spare port? My wiring is a bit 'sphagetti-junction' at the moment.

So is the USB connection just a Behringer "emulation" of a MIDI signal/cable? I didn't know you could send MIDI controls/data up and down a USB cable.

But I am still unclear about my Q2 and Q3. I mailed the Behringer support addresses given in the documentation but the UK and German ones bounced - possibly they have ceased direct email support. I'll go to their website and hunt around there again.

Sorry to be so naive - my background is in TV production and direction. Editing and audio are more recent strings to my multi-skilled bow/s.

Oh! for the good old days when I worked in the BBC and had editors and soundmen and sound supervisors and dubbing mixers to do all this for me; all I had to do was turn up with some scratchy old 16mm film and a pile of Sepmag tracks and they did all the magic stuff for me!
Reply #9
« on: February 07, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
alanofoz Offline

I used a USB port for the hardware upgrade. As I remember, the installation was very straightforward, I think when you reach the point you are concerned about you'll find it pretty clear. What can go wrong if you send to the wrong port? You'll just be sending to some other device. Make sure all unnecessary devices are turned off.

Once you have the firmware updated I still think your best bet is to follow my procedure in the link provided. The Mackie Sonar emulation probably works best with Audition, especially version 2.0.

So is the USB connection just a Behringer "emulation" of a MIDI signal/cable? I didn't know you could send MIDI controls/data up and down a USB cable.

There are many MIDI devices these days that actually use USB for transporting the MIDI signals. The BCF is just one of these.

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #10
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:44:08 AM »
ozpeter Offline

I've been trying mine with a HP laptop and it's been resetting itself from time to time - suddenly all the fader shoot to the bottom and it no longer responds.  Disconnecting the USB connection and reconnecting it 'wakes it back up" as does a disconnect/reconnect of the USB cordless mouse transponder.  When the battery is fully charged, no such problem (even though the laptop is connected to its charger throughout).

With my desktop I found that unless connected via a USB Hub, it crashed the whole machine.  All evidence that although the BCF2000 is connected to mains power, it still seems to require USB power also.
Reply #11
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
Virgil21 Offline

I used a USB port for the hardware upgrade...

You just beat me to it by a few minutes as I was about to report here on my firmware upgrade experience!

First, I followed the Behringer PDF instructions for upgrading firmware via the MIDI IN/OUT. Nothing happened, good or bad; the updater application just bombed out.

So I installed the Behringer USB driver then closed down and pulled out a USB cable and connected the BCF2000 via the USB. The firmware installation went smoothly via USB - as you advised/predicted.

Using the MIDI connection the updater application showed the MIDI port but didn't use it - I had set the operating mode to S-4 as instructed by Behringer. When I changed the mode to U-1, the updater showed only the USB connection and that worked.

I re-read the manual again a few times last night and presumably if I had chosen a higher USB mode it would also show that my MIDI cables were still connected. Unfortunately the manual is one of those that can only be understood if you already understand these matters; it's not very helpful to the neophyte.

So it's on to the next stage as per your previous posts. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your support.
Reply #12
« on: February 07, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »
Virgil21 Offline

So it's on to the next stage as per your previous posts. Fingers crossed...

Yes, that worked - thank you. Got a few BSODs when changing the Audition config but after that it settled down. Looks like any changes to Audition config should be done when the BCF2000 is switched off.

I have downloaded the templates etc and I am trying to understand those but so far the faders fly and pan enable works with the rotaries along with the functions play, pause, stop, FF, RW.

I an not sure what else is availabe fo what the templates mean by SHIFT nor what the Group Encoder keys are for.

Could you tell me how I change the faders from T1-8 to T98-12, for example. Do I move up a set of 8 or can I move them up 1 by 1 so that they control T1-8, then T2-9 etc? I am not sure how that is supposed to work. Thanks again for all your help. Why don't they just provide proper documentation?
Reply #13
« on: February 07, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
alanofoz Offline

Could you tell me how I change the faders from T1-8 to T8-12, for example. Do I move up a set of 8 or can I move them up 1 by 1 so that they control T1-8, then T2-9 etc? I am not sure how that is supposed to work. Thanks again for all your help. Why don't they just provide proper documentation?

There is a pair of buttons labelled

<  PRESET  >

These allow you to move up or down in sets of 8, or by holding the Shift1 button* you can move up or down by 1.

* See the document provided here.  This is actually a collaboration between Ozpeter and myself.

Edit: Link modified to replace the defunct link to Adobe's forum.  angry

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #14
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:04:15 PM »
Virgil21 Offline

See the document provided...

I had actually looked at that but part of the reason I wasn't following it was that I only have a mono printer. Looking at your original again on the colour screen and colouring in the printout is taking me a step forward. It now makes more sense. Thanks for your help again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: