AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 17, 2015, 05:40:29 AM
75938 Posts in 8051 Topics by 2825 Members
Latest Member: Josky
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit 2.0 & 2.1, Audition 1.0 & 1.5
| | | |-+  Mixer that controls CEP
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Mixer that controls CEP  (Read 74864 times)
« on: November 11, 2004, 10:57:47 PM »
psychoticplotsent Offline

Hello everybody. I've been using CEP2.0 for about 2 1/2 years, I am in a hip-hop band. It is time for my solo project and I wanted to set up with a mixer that can control CEP. I want to psychicly move the faders and see them move on the screen. I tried searching on this forum and came up with no answers. Is this even possible? PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply #1
« on: November 12, 2004, 02:48:20 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

There are a number of controllers by Tascam, Mackie, etc., that will claim compatibility with Cool Edit Pro.  How well this works, especially with version 2.0, is a bit dicey.  These probably will work to the extent of physically moving a controller fader so that it moves the virtual fader on your screen.  BUT that's all it does.  There is no fader automation or as-you-play envelope recording in CEP.  

So, if you're looking for a visual "wow" factor, that's do-able.  Hopefully one of the others here who has this capability will see this and get more specific about what hardware you're likely to get good results with.
Reply #2
« on: November 12, 2004, 05:20:51 PM »
lpdeluxe Offline

I use a Tascam US428 and MusicConductor is right: the faders will move on the screen (or at least the numbers in the Volume and Pan windows will change -- I don't use the onscreen mixer) but the changes are global, in that they affect the entire waveform. You can't do real time fading up & down like you can on a mixer. For that you must use the volume/pan envelopes. That said, the US428 is a quantum leap  up in convenience over mixing with a mouse/kb, and it works fine in CEP2.0 and AA 1.5. I'd never go back. It will be nice when Adobe implements mixdown capabilities in Audition, and when they do, I'll be sure to upgrade. But AA is not currently designed to let you play Godlike Mixing Engineer with the hardware...unless you run separate outs on each channel through a mixer into something like an Alesis Masterlink -- but that's an external solution. If you're patient you can learn to use the envelopes -- we just released a CD mixed down in AA that way. You just have to have a clear idea in your head what you want and not have to rely on chance to make it sound good.

"Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23
Reply #3
« on: November 12, 2004, 11:24:34 PM »
djwayne Offline

Good thread, you got me thinking and I checked out the Mackie Control unit...it looks like a fun new toy, and could be used as a remote controler to another room, which would be cool. It connects using a midi cable. For more info on it goto.............

http://www.mackie.com/products/mackiecontrol/index.html
Reply #4
« on: November 13, 2004, 10:58:22 PM »
psychoticplotsent Offline

Thanx guys. The Tascam model is looking great. But I was snooping around the Tascam Website And saw the Tascam US2400!! shocked It loks like this could be my solution. It dosent Specificly say its compatible with CEP/AA but it should be.

Has anybody used this one or seen it in action? Thanx in advance
Reply #5
« on: November 13, 2004, 11:23:08 PM »
djwayne Offline

Here's a new wireless remote that just came on the market..no word on price, or if it works with 1.5,  but here's a link.......

http://www.frontierdesign.com/products/tranzmain.html
Reply #6
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:15:12 PM »
AMSG Offline

I use the Tascam US-428 which is quite enough right now for me. All I wanted was to get rid of using the mouse as much as I did before. I sometimes got pain in my wrist when I had to mix for a long time so the mixer was certainly an improvement in that area. The US-2400 looks great indeed but I myself would probably not spend all that money for features that can't be used in CEP/AA (can't record fader movements for example).
Reply #7
« on: December 28, 2004, 06:14:13 PM »
bonnder Offline

Quote from: lpdeluxe
... MusicConductor is right: the faders will move on the screen (or at least the numbers in the Volume and Pan windows will change -- I don't use the onscreen mixer) but the changes are global, in that they affect the entire waveform. You can't do real time fading up & down like you can on a mixer. For that you must use the volume/pan envelopes.

I don't have a MIDI controller connected to my computer, so I can't test this for myself.  Can someone please clarify for me the statements made above.

1.  Re. the CEP/AA onscreen mixer - do the faders respond to MIDI input as implied in the first sentence in the quote above?

2.  If "yes", do the faders respond to MIDI input while the wav files are playing?  Or only when the wav files are not playing?

These statements "the faders will move on the screen ... You can't do real-time fading" leave things unclear in my mind.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Reply #8
« on: December 29, 2004, 12:52:10 AM »
djwayne Offline

Interesting.... I tried using my Roland JP-8000 as a midi controller to see if I could get the on-screen faders to move, so far no luck, but I am able to use it as a midi controler on some shortcuts....When I set it up for edit track volume, a track volume control did pop up, but I wasn't able to control it with the ribbon controller on the JP-8000. It is interesting though, being able to set up shortcuts using the JP-8000  !!

As an additional experiment...I tried using an old Yamaha RY-30 drum machine to use as a remote control trigger for the transport controls, works like a charm, and gives a whole new use for that unit !!! Cool Stuff !!! Cheesy
Reply #9
« on: December 29, 2004, 06:13:12 AM »
bonnder Offline

I'm not on my computer that has Audition installed, so this is from the CEP 2.1 manual.   I don't remember ever seeing this discussed, so I am quoting extensively here (for those who don't read manuals, etc.).  I'm trusting that moderators will trim if they feel the need.

The reason for the quotes is that one of the shortcuts that can be set is this:  "Edit Block:  MIDI set Controller 7" .  Since I don't have a keyboard connected to my computer, I'm wondering if anyone (djwayne?) can check to see if enabling that shortcut to be triggered by MIDI allows a user to control the volume faders from the external MIDI controller / keyboard.  Furthermore, djwayne - you say that you can get a Volume Slider to pop up but you can't make it move.  Even if the Volume Slider doesn't move, did you / could you check to see if you can alter the volume (even tho the slider isn't moving, does the volume change in response to your external MIDI commands?)?

MIDI Triggering

MIDI Triggering allows any of Cool Edit Pro’s Shortcuts to be called by MIDI events, which can be sent from a MIDI keyboard, a sequencer, or any other device capable of issuing a MIDI command. In effect, you can turn Cool Edit Pro into a Sampler (trigger playback from a MIDI keyboard), or even Save your files with a foot pedal if you really wanted to.

To setup MIDI triggering:

Assign a MIDI event to a Shortcut:

From the Options menu, choose Shortcuts (Keyboard & MIDI Triggers) and select the function that you would like to trigger from MIDI.

Check the Enable Trigger box to the right and set the channel and note, or MIDI controller, and click OK.

If you are triggering from a MIDI controller you will need to select the controller ID and the Value which will trigger the event. [Example: the default is controller 64 - the Hold pedal. For on/off controllers like this, a value of 127 will trigger the event in the ON position, 0 in the OFF position].

Enable MIDI Triggering:

From the Options menu, choose MIDI Trigger Enable.

You should now be able to trigger Cool Edit Pro from your MIDI device. You can get visual feedback of MIDI activity in the lower left corner of Cool Edit Pro’s main window.

MIDI Trigger Enable - F6

By checking MIDI Trigger Enable, any of Cool Edit Pro’s shortcuts that have been assigned to MIDI events can be called from a MIDI keyboard, a sequencer, or any other device capable of issuing a MIDI command.

Disable this option if you don’t wish to have shortcuts respond to MIDI events.

Before attempting to enable MIDI triggering, you’ll need to choose a device for MIDI In that’s recognized by Windows, such as a soundcard’s built-in MIDI interface or a MIDI interface card. To do this, go to Options > Device Properties and click on the MIDI In tab. Use the drop-down list to select the device to be used for triggering.

Use the keyboard shortcut of F6 to quickly toggle the status of the MIDI Trigger

Part of my curiousity about this stems from Ozpeter's musings about VNC in this thread:

http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=2831

I'm wondering - if Peter has a MIDI application on his laptop that issues commands that would control Audition on his desktop computer - would that help resolve the screen re-draw issue with his laptop (or anybody else's that might use such a setup)?
Reply #10
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:42:14 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Using VNC on the laptop via a wireless network here, in order to control the DAW pc in the "studio", the Audition mixer can be used quite well - VNC updates the mixer screen almost immediately if I drag an on-screen fader or enter a figure.  Trouble is, without automation, the mixer is really only useful for setting overall track levels, so whether you use it locally or remotely, you are not getting very far.
Reply #11
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:29:31 PM »
djwayne Offline

I'm wondering if anyone (djwayne?) can check to see if enabling that shortcut to be triggered by MIDI allows a user to control the volume faders from the external MIDI controller / keyboard. Furthermore, djwayne - you say that you can get a Volume Slider to pop up but you can't make it move. Even if the Volume Slider doesn't move, did you / could you check to see if you can alter the volume (even tho the slider isn't moving, does the volume change in response to your external MIDI commands?)?

No I can NOT control the volume from my JP-8000 at this time. Being very new to this, I may not have it set up right, and enabled the wrong thing to work with the midi controller. The volume slider will pop-up, but neither the slider or volume is effected by the midi ribbon controller on the JP-8000. I also tried setting up for panning, and got the same result, a panning slider popped up but I was not able to control it from the JP-8000.

The transport controls set to work with the RY-30 Drum Machine, DO work great though.
Reply #12
« on: December 29, 2004, 07:43:56 PM »
bonnder Offline

Thanks for the responses guys.  We'll just wait then and see if anyone reports any different results.  Ozpeter seems to suggest that Audition is not automated at the moment, so we may be waiting a long time for those different results.
Reply #13
« on: December 29, 2004, 11:56:39 PM »
djwayne Offline

Two points here.

One,... Audition is picking up the ribbon controller, as I can see the value change from 0-127 in the lower left hand corner of the tool bar, but isn't applying that value change to the slider.  

Second point.....I tried using a foot controller thru the JP-8000, set up to control "play/pause", and it worked like a charm !!! I suppose I could also activate the record mode as well, just by setting it up. So having a foot switch to control Audition is also very cool for us guitar players !!!
Reply #14
« on: December 30, 2004, 12:12:32 AM »
AMSG Offline

Hmm, some interesting feedback here. When I'm back at my place I should check out those midi capabilities a bit more probably. The more things I can control not using a mouse the better I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: