AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 09:44:12 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Old Farts
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Locked Topic Topic: Old Farts  (Read 18789 times)
« on: December 22, 2004, 11:34:29 PM »
pwhodges Offline

In preparation for a clear-out of undesirable members of the forum in the new year, it has become necessary to define the "old farts".  As I there are a number of possible definitions, I propose a vote on a selection of them.

Paul
Reply #1
« on: December 23, 2004, 07:36:52 PM »
Havoc Offline

I would say "remembers Frank Sinatra and hasn't heard of the Beatles yet".

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #2
« on: December 23, 2004, 08:46:19 PM »
lpdeluxe Offline

How about "gives grandkids gift certificates from the music store because, not only has he not heard the names of the songs they are into, but does not know the names of the bands, and in fact does not even know what their kind of music is called or what instruments it is played on."

"Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23
Reply #3
« on: December 23, 2004, 10:22:55 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Since I qualify for all but two of the above definitions (actually 1 1/2, since I did work for the BBC as an outside contractor) it looks as though I'm definitely for the chop in the New Year.

Hardly seems worth voting, does it?

Reply #4
« on: December 24, 2004, 04:53:58 PM »
Havoc Offline

I qualify for only 5 out of 10. So I still have a bit margin.

BTW, What do they have in common?

Reply #5
« on: December 24, 2004, 05:08:49 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

7 out of 10... (no BBC, still under 45.. barely).  Now, do I really have to wear the moniker of "old fart"?  I heartedly subscribe to the old adage... "your only as old as you feel".  I have a 12 year old (that thinks he's 18 ) and take an active part in all his interest (namely music).  FWIW, he's a bass player and Santa scored him a nice, new Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string for X-Mas!!  To get an idea of how supportive I am of his endeavors... that now makes 5 basses that the young lad has to go with 2 amps (with another on the way for his B-day in March).

shocked

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #6
« on: December 24, 2004, 07:26:26 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Havoc
BTW, What do they have in common?

They're all 'manufactured' bands/groups - your margin has just narrowed!

Reply #7
« on: December 24, 2004, 09:14:55 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

Weren't they all British?  I know that Holly &  Frankie Goes, as well as the Spice lasses were Brit.  I do remember the Monkeys (covered quite a few of their tunes over the years), but can't recall if they were "all" British.  I feel pretty sure that Davey Jones was, but don't know about Peter and the others....

smiley

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #8
« on: December 24, 2004, 10:31:21 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: VoodooRadio
Weren't they all British?  I know that Holly &  Frankie Goes, as well as the Spice lasses were Brit.  I do remember the Monkeys (covered quite a few of their tunes over the years), but can't recall if they were "all" British.  I feel pretty sure that Davey Jones was, but don't know about Peter and the others....

smiley

I'm pretty sure that it was only Davey Jones who was British. My sister (classically trained musician, ex-member of BBC symphony chorus, etc.) was a big fan of the Monkies when she was much younger - but this was primarily because of the awful TV series. I think I shall remind her of this on Sunday... (hehe!)

But in a sense, you're right about linking Britain to 'manufactured' bands. We have a long and thoroughly dishonourable tradition of doing this - recently immortalised by all those ridiculous 'make a band' reality TV shows with Simon Cowell, etc. But you have to remember that this isn't music we're talking about here, it's about marketing product to 13-16yr old girls.

And as far as Pop Idol, etc goes, there's a whole cultural problem that's been highlighted by it. It seems that we've bred a generation of kids who think that they're good enough to do anything if they try hard enough - and all of those televised auditions have shown just how wrong that idea really is, and quite frankly just how right Simon Cowell is most of the time. When these kids' families and friends tell them that they're wonderful, and he tells them how bloody awful they really are, it makes for very depressing TV, complete with temper tantrums, etc...

'Old' is a state of mind, and 'fart' is the result of a state of one's bowels. I'm refusing to vote in this poll (and I can see the results anyway!), because although I realise exactly what it's about, I'm not trying to encourage it. And since I would have a very similar score, for similar reasons, to Graeme, I agree entirely with his first post, and am accordingly acting on the last sentence!

Reply #9
« on: December 24, 2004, 11:31:07 PM »
pwhodges Offline

Quote from: SteveG
'Old' is a state of mind, and 'fart' is the result of a state of one's bowels. I'm refusing to vote in this poll, because although I realise exactly what it's about, I'm not trying to encourage it.

Quite right.  I apologise if my reaction to a remark elsewhere is felt to be inappropriate embarassed - especially as there was a handsome explanation given later.  It was only intended as fun, of course.

Paul

(PS:  Graeme's explanation of the commonality was the one I had in mind).
Reply #10
« on: December 25, 2004, 02:05:39 PM »
Havoc Offline

reality TV shows

An oxymorn if there ever was one...

Reply #11
« on: December 25, 2004, 04:01:36 PM »
lpdeluxe Offline

A question, Mr JWHodges: are you intent upon clearing out us old farts, or clearing out all who are not?

"Digo: 'paciencia, y barajar.'" -- Don Quijote de la Mancha, Part II, Chapter 23
Reply #12
« on: December 25, 2004, 04:05:37 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

I wasn't necessarily "linking" British and Manufactured... In fact, while I might call the Monkeys and the Spice Girls manufactured, I thought that Frankie Goes to Hollywood was just a good band that enjoy (albeit short-lived) success.  Giving credit where credit is/was due... IMO, Holly had a great voice.

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #13
« on: December 25, 2004, 05:29:21 PM »
Havoc Offline

While I remember Frankie, I fail to emember any of the songs. Maybe the old fart status is only around the corner.

Reply #14
« on: December 25, 2004, 07:05:15 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

Their "big" hit was Relax.  But they did some other nice originals and some covers as well.  The singer (Holly Johnson I think) had a very strong voice.  I saw them a year (or so) ago on a VH1 special where they were trying to "re-unite" them.  It didn't work out.  Bummer.....

cry

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: