AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 08:43:19 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Forum Names - Are You Confused?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Forum Names - Are You Confused?  (Read 15937 times)
« on: September 30, 2004, 06:24:21 PM »
zemlin Offline

Forum Names - Are You Confused?

Reply #1
« on: September 30, 2004, 07:59:29 PM »
Cal Offline

Only the General and Specific designations would have me sitting wondering which one applies to my question or comment.  Perhaps it will be most confusing to new users.

I'm in favor of having an Audition/CoolEdit combined category for all questions, general OR specific, lumped into one.  Our problem lies in the fact they are quite similar AND somewhat unique, and some questions can apply to both while some are product specific.  To get the most benefit from all the packages, let them be grouped together with the reader determining from the context whether they can use the info or not.

Because of their diminishing use, keep 96 and 2000 together.

Reply #2
« on: October 01, 2004, 03:06:35 PM »
AMSG Offline

I believe that it sometimes would be hard to make a choice between general and specific depending on the nature of the question. Is there any advantage with having it this way compared to having all under Adobe Audition for example?
Reply #3
« on: October 01, 2004, 07:56:28 PM »
Havoc Offline

What about the forum being a single large database of posts, and everybody can make its own forum entries by writing filters or queries for it? A bit too geeky perhaps...

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #4
« on: October 01, 2004, 09:54:11 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Havoc
What about the forum being a single large database of posts...

That would look like the Adobe main forum - which is an almighty pain to look through IMHO.

I seem to recall suggesting ages ago something along the lines of looking at the different AA/CEP codebases - so that implies a split that would have CE96/CE2000/CEP1.n as one category, CEP2.n/Audition1 as another and Audition 1.5 (yes there has been a substantial code rewrite) as the third, and leave it at that for the time being, until (and if) things change again. The difficulty, if it is one, with this is that there are still issues that are common to all versions, but at least splitting them that way would make some sense from  the perspective of some of the difficulties people experience.

At least that makes some technical sense...

Reply #5
« on: October 01, 2004, 10:13:17 PM »
Mac Offline

The intention was to merge all the generic questions about style or how to use the program into one big forum, as before you had to look through the 3 forums to find any particular thread.

The specific forums have been kept so that the more technical questions are easy to locate depending on your software version, and also so that they aren't padded out by 5x as many generic questions.

I think merging the technical with the general questions would be a bad idea, but concede the names / structure could use some further tweaking.  If tech support can't be the name, what about just Technical Questions? Smiley

(|-_-|)
Reply #6
« on: October 03, 2004, 03:48:26 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

I think what we've got is fine!

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #7
« on: October 04, 2004, 07:54:05 AM »
post78 Offline

So it would appear that we're now catering to idiots?

"Who's THE Zapp Brannigan?".
Reply #8
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:13:30 PM »
zemlin Offline

Quote from: post78
Perhaps you were away.
http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=2426
http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=2444
It all seemed rather pointless to me, so I thought this would be a way to find out if there was a problem that needed to be resolved.

Reply #9
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
Havoc Offline

That would look like the Adobe main forum - which is an almighty pain to look through IMHO.

I agree with it in that way, but you only quoted half of the original.

The idea is to have a general pile of threads. But the forums themselves are only filtered views of the whole pile. So as an example, a forum with the title "filtering" would contain any thread relating to filtering/eq/riaa/mains filters/airco etc. Whatever version of CEP/AA. And if you can make your own filters, it would mean a very personalised forum. So it would make that I never have to see any post relating to midi as I really do know nothing about it and I'm not interested in knowing anything about it (yet). But I could make for myself a forum relating to "color" as used in painting studios and cables without anyone problem.

The M2 mail engine of Opera works this way. I do not use it for other issues, but I found this a very good way of working. It also means any thread can be visible in more forums without being several "physical" threads. (like above, something about 78rpm discs could be visible in an "eq" and a "restoration" forum)

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #10
« on: October 04, 2004, 05:55:11 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Havoc

I agree with it in that way, but you only quoted half of the original.

Rest taken as read...

I understand the concept of what you are suggesting, but I don't think that the forum software supports this - and also I don't think that most people would want to set up filters, either.

OTOH, if I ever get the MetaThreads idea sorted out (hopefully soon) then this will go some way towards some of the things you are suggesting, I think - only in a different way.

Reply #11
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:44:38 PM »
post78 Offline

Quote from: zemlin
Quote from: post78
Perhaps you were away.
http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=2426
http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=2444
It all seemed rather pointless to me, so I thought this would be a way to find out if there was a problem that needed to be resolved.

Ah, now I understand.  No idiots, just the blind "I'm done here" crowd.
More word make Lunk think too harder.  Less word easy for Lunk.

Reply #12
« on: October 21, 2004, 03:57:13 AM »
oretez Offline

I had meant, after voting or not voting . . . hadn't decided when I drafted a mental comment . . . to mention that my mental dyslexic gymnastics means that I am seldom sure, even after I post, whether I selected the correct slot

then after I hit the send button I realized I picked the wrong choice of the yes no poll . . .

primarily I don't really care about the specifics of the outline . . . some structure makes it easier for me to view recent threads (vs. say the way the adobe forum is set up)  for anything but browsing I tend to use 'search' anyway

and it's in the area of boolean gymnastics I've been waiting for marketers to catch up with real world for a long time (maybe longhorn?  maybe google desktop? . . . maybe but I doubt it)

I don't think forum is 'perfect' just the way it is but limitations of bandwidth and browser are still more significant than forum cosmetics.
Reply #13
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:57:50 PM »

whatever its obvious you all are trying to question my intelligence but i was considerate of newer users who might have been confused as where to post. Stop being so elitist, AUDIOMASTERS,

RonC
Reply #14
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:08:55 PM »
post78 Offline

Uh oh, watch out.  He might go away again...   rolleyes

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: