AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 12:44:33 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Captivity vs. Liberation
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Captivity vs. Liberation  (Read 22322 times)
« on: March 03, 2004, 04:41:53 AM »
William Rose Offline

Simple question.

William

Dual 2ghz Pentiums , 3 gigs RAM, WinXpPro, AA3, SantaCruz..
Reply #1
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:14:28 AM »
zemlin Offline

I'd rather get on with the business of making music rather than whining about minor issues that are clearly a matter of opinion and of very little significance / consequence.

Reply #2
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »
Mac Offline

Freedom has proven itself not to work Smiley

(|-_-|)
Reply #3
« on: March 03, 2004, 11:51:20 AM »
Havoc Offline

Difficult question. Free in what sense of the word? Free to move? Free to think? Free to do? Free to posses? Free to use your time? Free to talk? Free to create? I would be perfectly happy in a prison if they just let me read whatever I like whenever I like. So I would be free and enslaved at the same time but happy.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #4
« on: March 03, 2004, 07:43:11 PM »
bonnder Offline

See SWMBO.
Reply #5
« on: March 03, 2004, 07:45:18 PM »
Cal Offline

Quote from: bonnder
See SWMBO.

Maybe if you posted her picture, it would help us out a bit...

Reply #6
« on: March 03, 2004, 08:50:02 PM »
Havoc Offline

See SWMBO.

Well, then there are that kind of guys.... Now, where did I put my whip?

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #7
« on: March 04, 2004, 08:31:13 AM »
MarkT

Aaaaah Grasshopper,

A person can only be a slave if they permit it themselves. You always have the choice to refuse, you may be killed or tortured, but you always have that choice.
Reply #8
« on: March 04, 2004, 08:33:06 AM »
MarkT

Quote from: Mac

When?, where? by whom? and how can a concept prove itself not to work?
Reply #9
« on: March 04, 2004, 10:39:47 AM »
Mac Offline

Quote from: MarkT
Quote from: Mac

When?, where? by whom? and how can a concept prove itself not to work?

Throughout the past few thousand years, this planet, and by humans mainly Smiley  

'proven itself' was just a way of saying 'has been proven (in my opinion)'

(|-_-|)
Reply #10
« on: March 05, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »
bonnder Offline

Quote from: Havoc
Well, then there are that kind of guys.... Now, where did I put my whip?

Tried that once, but she couldn't stop giggling - which rather destroyed the intended effect.

I meant See "SWMBO" as a generic term, by way of answer to WR's question.  As in, aren't those who have an SWMBO already enslaved, by definition?  And didn't they seek to be that way?
Reply #11
« on: March 05, 2004, 05:17:22 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: bonnder
And didn't they seek to be that way?

I think I'd have to agree that they probably did - although this may well have been hidden from them at the time...  Shocked

Reply #12
« on: March 05, 2004, 05:19:52 PM »
Final Soldier Offline

There has been too much blood sacrificed for the term "freedom"...
    Since the term "government" is simply an extended form of a successful "conspiracy"....
 I have to believe that all of us are enslaved and have restrictions whether we recognize these boundaries or not...
 It is merely a question of the extent of oppression that is inflicted from those in power...
   "Power" is the true evil....and artists who are conceptual thinkers by our very design....are always on the front lines in this invisible yet very real conflict....
Reply #13
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:37:09 PM »
beetle Offline
Global Moderator

Just what IS the hidden agenda behind this question?

First of all, this is a stacked question designed to elicit only one type of response.  This simple question ignores the fact that people in different parts of the world don't all grow up with the same concepts of what freedom is.  In fact, I think the narrow question could be insulting to certain groups who have had a history of their ancestors being enslaved.

Reply #14
« on: March 09, 2004, 02:57:37 AM »
William Rose Offline

Easy beetle.......Some groups may manage to be offended, but the question is in no way, by itself, offensive.

Originally, I designed the question to establish something of a "margin of error" for the poll function. It seems to be at about 50%. Based on the typically limited number of responses.

And you're right, it was intended to elicit just one type of response, but you'll notice, it didn't. It's practically a mini-object lesson in psychology, the answers ranging from serious, to funny, to.......paranoid.

Quote from: beetle
 This simple question ignores the fact that people in different parts of the world don't all grow up with the same concepts of what freedom is.

It doesn't ignore anything. It bears no preconceptions of what freedom is. If someone's concept of freedom, as opposed to enslavement, is different than yours or mine, then so be it. At worst, they might answer the question differently, but probably not.

Anyway the whole things usefullness is probably lessened by peoples likeliness to take the question, or the poll feature seriously, but that's still relevant to it's margin of error.

William

Dual 2ghz Pentiums , 3 gigs RAM, WinXpPro, AA3, SantaCruz..
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: