AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 01:08:44 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Captivity vs. Liberation
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Topic: Captivity vs. Liberation  (Read 22323 times)
Reply #15
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:34:50 AM »
beetle Offline
Global Moderator

I still don't understand your motive or logic, but carry on.

Reply #16
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:22:15 PM »
bonnder Offline

At the time this poll was posted, WR was involved in a conversation in another thread - the subject of which I don't recall at the moment.  It was a conversation with the moderators of this forum, and to me WR's poll question seemed to be derived from that conversation.  Something on the order of "do we want to be governed by a group who insist on tight control, or would we rather be free to do/post whatever we want, however we want?"

That was / is my take on WR's poll question.  My assessment has a margin of error of +/- 100%.
Reply #17
« on: March 09, 2004, 05:47:18 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: bonnder
At the time this poll was posted, WR was involved in a conversation in another thread - the subject of which I don't recall at the moment.  It was a conversation with the moderators of this forum, and to me WR's poll question seemed to be derived from that conversation.  Something on the order of "do we want to be governed by a group who insist on tight control, or would we rather be free to do/post whatever we want, however we want?"

I didn't quite get the impression that it was about anarchy, or thereabouts. I'm quite happy with the explanation he's already given about the Poll forum, which I've always found to be a little strange, and in fact very hard to use effectively as anything other than a blunt instrument. I think that William has proved his point about that - not that there was ever much doubt in my mind about polls in captivity - I've already let one get out!

Reply #18
« on: March 09, 2004, 07:30:40 PM »
groucho Offline

It might be said that the usefulness of a poll is in direct proportion to the usefulness of the *question*.

Chris
Reply #19
« on: March 09, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »
William Rose Offline

Quote from: bonnder

That was / is my take on WR's poll question.  My assessment has a margin of error of +/- 100%.

Nope.......Although, to be honest, I think my initial micro-goal was to show how difficult it is to get an accurate "show-of-hands" when it comes to preference. And that aim was directly related to the yelling and shouting going on at the time. But I immediately realized that this didn't do that.  Smiley  So, I can assign whatever purpose I want to this experiment with a clear conscience, even if I did think of it later.  Smiley

No, I'm not quite as melodramatic as would be required to post this question as a representation, symbolic or otherwise, of mine and Steve's disagreement. But maybe it colored the topic........I dunno. The idea was, "What should everybody agree on ?" and I really think this question qualifies. No matter what your idea of either option, the choice of "relative" freedom, as opposed to slavery, would be chosen by everyone, I should think. So the slavery votes get counted as "erroneous" in this case.

William

Dual 2ghz Pentiums , 3 gigs RAM, WinXpPro, AA3, SantaCruz..
Reply #20
« on: March 09, 2004, 07:54:47 PM »
William Rose Offline

Quote from: groucho
It might be said that the usefulness of a poll is in direct proportion to the usefulness of the *question*.

Chris

Yeah it might, but if you asked ,"Would you rather everybody just packed it up and we stop having a forum here ?" you'd get the same effing 10-20 people casting votes in a 50-50 mudpuddle. It's grotesque.

William

Reply #21
« on: March 09, 2004, 08:12:15 PM »
groucho Offline

Quote from: William Rose

Chris

Yeah it might, but if you asked ,"Would you rather everybody just packed it up and we stop having a forum here ?" you'd get the same effing 10-20 people casting votes in a 50-50 mudpuddle. It's grotesque.

Another example of a stupid question. When there's no content, everyone just has a goof with it. Trying to rationalize it after the fact doesn't make this poll anything more than what it really was: a tantram.

Chris
Reply #22
« on: March 09, 2004, 09:02:59 PM »
Mac Offline

How dare you call me erranous! Tongue

(|-_-|)
Reply #23
« on: March 11, 2004, 04:12:08 AM »
William Rose Offline

Another example of a stupid question. When there's no content, everyone just has a goof with it. Trying to rationalize it after the fact doesn't make this poll anything more than what it really was: a tantram.

Chris

Right, that's part of my point. If you don't think the question is important, or it's "stupid", you'll just sit and click buttons until something shiny grabs your attention. Instead of just, not voting.

And no, it wasn't a tantrum, just ill-conceived initially. What. Did you think I hoped to get a bunch of free votes and then go tell Steve, "Well, sorry Steve, but everybody wants to be free so, it looks like you're out. No more enslavement......." Huh  huh  

Smiley

William

Reply #24
« on: March 11, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »
jonrose Offline

If you don't think the question is important, or it's "stupid", you'll just sit and click buttons until something shiny grabs your attention. Instead of just, not voting.
 Smiley

Well now.... that's an assumption on your part, of course....  wink
You're discounting those of us who aren't voting at all - seeing no point in doing so - and just lurking and chuckling over this whole thing...  cheesy

Best... -Jon
Reply #25
« on: March 11, 2004, 06:43:41 AM »
William Rose Offline

Uh, what assumption ?

I can see only ten people have voted. (If you vote, you get to see the totals, Jon). But I can also see that half of them voted that they'd rather be a slave. So the only assumption I've made is that, in the modern world, "freedom" is always preferable over "enslavement". And I think that's a no-brainer. It's why I asked it.

BTW, I'm not taking any of this all that seriously, lest anybody think I'm getting excited.  Smiley But, I spend a lot of time choosing my words very carefully to mean just one thing. Look, if I didn't like anything about this forum, would I be camped here ?

William

Reply #26
« on: March 11, 2004, 10:18:34 PM »
oretez Offline

BTW, I'm not taking any of this all that seriously, lest anybody think I'm getting excited.  :) But, I spend a lot of time choosing my words very carefully to mean just one thing. Look, if I didn't like anything about this forum, would I be camped here ?

they very well might mean only one thing to you, but in all probability mean something entirely different to me

on the other hand I have no particular interest in words that 'mean just one thing' . . . may be why I got out of hard science

(damn, first time in my life looked for an emoticon as punctuation and was forced to reject them all)
Reply #27
« on: March 12, 2004, 01:45:11 AM »
jonrose Offline

Uh, what assumption ?

Hmmm... well, I just thought that the part you wrote, which I quoted, implied that you were indeed making an assumption of sorts... don't you think?

Okay, my mistake - perhaps I should have said a presumption,  then. After all, as I see it, you did rather make a presumption by saying (and I'll quote it again here for clarity):

If you don't think the question is important, or it's "stupid", you'll just sit and click buttons until something shiny grabs your attention. Instead of just, not voting.
 Smiley

I won't... Cool  And I'd guess others won't either. My response was simply a literal one, addressed to that statement, not the overall situation - no foul.

Actually, I'll come completely clean here, as well - I cheated.
On these forums, you can view the results without voting (unlike the old Snitz forums). wink
Heh-heh!

Best... -Jon
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: