AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
June 11, 2009, 03:27:29 PM
68055 Posts in 7010 Topics by 1907 Members
Latest Member: DJ1121
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Radio, TV and Video Production
| | |-+  Imaging-Phone effect AA2.0/3.0
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Imaging-Phone effect AA2.0/3.0  (Read 1201 times)
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »
Randy Lahey Offline

I have 2 questions but both related to the same thing so I will ask them both.  First off, I rarely use the phone effect, but I used it a lot last week producing some imaging.  I noticed when I use the effect, the voice is so much quieter then everything else even know the levels show it should be the same volume.  So what I did was add some compression, and then hard limit it and it sounded pretty good, basically what I was looking for.  I'm wondering how you guys are using this effect.  Do you use the "phone" presets, or just create it yourself using eq/compression etc?

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no phone effect when using multitrack.  the phone effect is an fft filter which is not accessible in MT.  First of all why is this?  and what would your suggestions be for using the phone effect in multi-track.  I just did everything in MT except the phone effect.

Thanks s lot.

Randy. 
Reply #1
« on: January 19, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Do you use the "phone" presets, or just create it yourself using eq/compression etc?

Create 'em myself...

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no phone effect when using multitrack.  the phone effect is an fft filter which is not accessible in MT.  First of all why is this? 

The actual preset is in the process fft filter - which you can add an awful lot of points to - to the extent that there's no way you could possibly compute the interaction between them all in real time if you added a lot. So, it remains as a process filter.

and what would your suggestions be for using the phone effect in multi-track.  I just did everything in MT except the phone effect.

It's quite a straightforward curve - you can make a note of the points of it, and replicate this quite adequately in the parametric EQ. If you add a bit of distortion and compression, it's quite possible to make a very adequate phone filter in MV without any trouble at all, and you can save it as a rack preset. Of course, this is assuming that you are talking about AA2.0 onwards; you haven't stated which version you are using. If you can tell me which version it is, I can put this thread in the correct place...

Reply #2
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »
Randy Lahey Offline

Thanks a lot Steve.  I am using AA2 at work and AA3 at home.  My apologies for posting this in the wrong forum.  I didn't want to put it in the AA2 or AA3 forums because it seems most of those people are dealing with music so the phone effect would be of little use to them.  I actually meant to put it in the radio and tv production forum but apparently didn't.  Either way, feel free to move it wherever you like.

Again thanks for the help.  We all appreciate all of the FREE-time you put towards making this board great.

Randy. 
Reply #3
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I actually meant to put it in the radio and tv production forum but apparently didn't. 

That seems like a perfectly reasonable place for it - so here it is!

Reply #4
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:13:36 AM »
jimm1909 Offline

I have 2 questions but both related to the same thing so I will ask them both.  First off, I rarely use the phone effect, but I used it a lot last week producing some imaging.  I noticed when I use the effect, the voice is so much quieter then everything else even know the levels show it should be the same volume.  So what I did was add some compression, and then hard limit it and it sounded pretty good, basically what I was looking for.  I'm wondering how you guys are using this effect.  Do you use the "phone" presets, or just create it yourself using eq/compression etc?

Also, as far as I can tell, there is no phone effect when using multitrack.  the Telephone Service effect is an fft filter which is not accessible in MT.  First of all why is this?  and what would your suggestions be for using the phone effect in multi-track.  I just did everything in MT except the phone effect.

Thanks s lot.

Randy. 

Thanks for the helpful information you guys have posted here.  I've been wondering the same thing and having the same issues so I am glad I found this post.

thanks again,

-jim
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: