AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 08:14:03 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit 2.0 & 2.1, Audition 1.0 & 1.5
| | | |-+  Help with cool edit using the equipment I have
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Help with cool edit using the equipment I have  (Read 155 times)
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »
illmajezty Offline

Hello, I am new here and also somewhat new to recording. I was wondering what would be the best way to edit rap vocals through cool edit (newest release before it became audition) using an m-audio producer USB mic, Rokit 5s, yameha audiogram 3 USB interface, and a voxguard primacoustic? I know that very high chances are that no one is using the same exact equipment that I am, but I thought that maybe someone(s) might be famIliar with maybe some of the equiment and could give me some insight / tips on how I should edit my vocals. I have tried a couple of tutorials from YouTube, but they still do not sound like satisfying quality to me. I would really appreciate the help. I have been working on trying to find some way to make the vocals sound satisfying quality in the last 2 months but cannot get the quality I want. Thank you
Reply #1
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Since nobody else has answered, I'll try and help.

I suspect you really mean processing, not editing. 

It's not easy to suggest anything positive, because you have not explained what it is you find unsatisfactory about what you are currently achieving.  You could post a clip here for us to listen to. 

Generally speaking, the better your core sound, the easier it will be to get wherever you want to be. With that in mind, I doubt the mic is doing you any favours.  You won't find many here using USB mics - they are notorious for their less than stellar quality.  Also, contrary to what almost everyone else will tell you (well, all the "would be" engineers and sales people) dynamic mics tend to be more useful than condensers for rap.

Also, bear in mind that your monitoring chain is not just a pair of loudspeakers - the room they are in is just as important (some would say even more than the speakers).  Monitoring is, by far, the most important link in the chain.   If you are not hearing things as they really are, then you are never going to get the sound you want. 

As someone new to recording, a little light reading wouldn't go amiss and I would suggest you have a look at this site -  www.tweakheadz.com - where you will find lots of tips.

Reply #2
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

In the absence of any sort of visible or stated "goal" for this exercise, it's almost impossible to give any sort of advice. Being dissatisfied with one's results isn't a bad thing, but it takes more than being dissatisfied... it's also necessary to know exactly where you want to get to. The original question is sort of reminiscent of the idea, "Let's get on the bus and we'll drive around for a while. When we see the place we like, then we'll know where we want to get to!"

But what if you're on the wrong bus, and never get to anyplace that you like...? Rap has changed so much in it's relatively short life span, and undergone some fairly significant stylistic changes. On top of that, I'm not sure how many people here are really rap enthusiasts and record it.

That being said, I remember a couple of articles last year on a blog I sometimes read, pertaining to this. They are eminently sensible in that they don't really deal with specifics like telling you what frequencies to EQ, or anything else, but they tell you what to listen for... In that regard, mixing and processing rap isn't different from any other type of music. It's all in the ears.

You may find them somewhat helpful, but remember, you gotta know where you're going if you want to get there.

http://theproaudiofiles.com/mixing-rap-vocals/

http://theproaudiofiles.com/mixing-rap-vocals-part-2-eq/

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: