AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 01:06:41 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  OT Posts
| | |-+  Thrown into the Fire - Mixed Live Sound - NYC - Beady Eye After Party
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Thrown into the Fire - Mixed Live Sound - NYC - Beady Eye After Party  (Read 208 times)
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:38:23 AM »
Liquid Fusion Offline

December 11, 2011 NYC - Paul Gallagher / DJ - Beady Eye Aftershow Party -

Just got word from Artist / Promoter Sean Yox - Paul Gallagher / DJ - liked my "English 4k / Heavy Bass" Live Sound mix made on the spot at City Winery NYC 12/9/2011. Right On!!!!!!

Had just finished playing bass with "The Streamers," when Paul Gallagher / DJ needed changes to the sound. Went over to the control console (electronic), and using concepts of Q / Frequency spacing that I learned here , got him what he needed. Corrected weak "muddy room sound" - to add dynamics and defined bass foundation building up  energy of DJ set.

Q 10 - 4+ kHz
Q 10 - 1.2 kHz
Q 0.5 ~ 220 Hz
Q 10 - 80Hz (club bass)

Cranked gain on each of those to + 10 / + 13 - seemed insane, however it cleaned up the sound and made people want to dance, and the DJ happy. Sounded good from outside the cub as well. As most of the DJ's songs were 70's 80's rock / blues, I realized that most bass had been cut when mastering the vinyl records to keep the needle in the groove, so I adjusted extra bass w/o the boominess....

Reply #1
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
Liquid Fusion Offline

Q: If I was asked to step up to the mixing board to save the day - is this helping a "friend" action - or am I to be paid since the promoter asking me expected to be paid as well - If I didn't stop the Artist from running out of the club, there would've been no more show / tour.

If I'm to be paid - by who? The DJ? The Promoter? (kept all profits - didn't pay anyone) The major label?

Thanks for the response and insight. I do music with intent to live by what I love doing. If others are making money by tkt sales, and the club sound is key to that, then being asked to fix bad sound is the same as being hired to do a job. Is this right thinking?

Reply #2
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Paid for adjusting the EQ on the desk? You'll be lucky!

You were helping a friend - that's all. It's in the Brownie Points bag.

Reply #3
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
Cal Offline

It's things like this that may lead to other significant activity -- then again, maybe not. But at the least, if it ever comes to it, the one or two who know and liked what you did can only give a good report. I would never turn down the chance to impress anyone who may be the one to lead me to a great opportunity.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: