AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 11:08:59 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  'Boxy' vocal recordings
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: 'Boxy' vocal recordings  (Read 178 times)
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »
Abel Offline

My vocal recordings are sounding somewhat "boxy". I wouldn't say they are muddy or unclear. They come across sounding like they were recorded in a small box, damp and dead. I have a feeling it is the recording booth I put together but from what I've read the issue could be from other things. I have messed with EQ, reverb, echo, chorus, and mono2stereo (as well as multiple recordings) and in the best case I can mask most of it, in the worst, the vocals end up sounding like they are in a narrow tunnel. Its just frustrating to say the least.

In answer to the first fiew questions I know will be thrown my way:
Mic: MXL V67G
Preamp: the sound card/device: E-Mu 0404 USB
Recording booth: 4x4 corner of a 10x8 room. The actual area has 3 walls covered in Audio mute absorption sheets (Sound Proofing, Soundproofing Material: Lowest Prices - Audi mute Soundproofing) and a few layers covering the front and creating a top at about 7'.

I started using the mic and recording area at about the same time a few months ago. Prior to that I used a really cheap-o RadioShack 500ohm microphone in an open room. The sound is immensely better now but just doesn't sound at all right.
Reply #1
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

My vocal recordings are sounding somewhat "boxy". I wouldn't say they are muddy or unclear. They come across sounding like they were recorded in a small box, damp and dead.

And you have built:

Recording booth: 4x4 corner of a 10x8 room. The actual area has 3 walls covered in Audio mute absorption sheets (Sound Proofing, Soundproofing Material: Lowest Prices - Audi mute Soundproofing) and a few layers covering the front and creating a top at about 7'.

Don't think you need to look much further...

It sounds as though you've completely overdamped the corner, and that you are probably getting the rest of the room into the back of the microphone - which will make it sound boxy. Anything representing 'booth' conditions in a room as small as that isn't going to help you at all to record vocals in there. First rule of any room treatment - 20% of the treatment does 80% of the work. And as a consequence, you really don't want to go much further than that. In a room like this, you'd be better served by a couple of single acoustic tiles at mic level on the wall, and an SE electronics reflexion filter with its back facing into the room. Anything else in a room that small is going to cause you trouble, unless you turn the entire room into your vocal booth, treated appropriately.

Reply #2
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Admin note: To preserve forum clarity, this thread has been split away from the one it was in, and given a more appropriate title.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: