AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 11:07:10 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  iZotope's Ozone5
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: iZotope's Ozone5  (Read 588 times)
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

If you are interested in serious mastering, then the new version(s) of Ozone are well worth a look. Versions? Well, yes - you can get the 'Basic' version for a very reasonable $199, but the Advanced version is going to set you back rather more, I'm afraid - it's $599, but get it before Dec 1st, and it's $100 cheaper, and if you already own Ozone 4, it's $399. One of the very tempting things about the Advanced version is that you can now utilise components out of the whole system as individual plugins. Also you get some rather posh metering options - important if you are trying to conform to more recent broadcasting level constraints (which I personally think suck a bit, but that's another matter, and hardly Ozone's fault!). There are also extra controls on many modules with Advanced.

Other Stuff:

One thing that is notably improved is the reverberation option - this has always been a bit of an Achilles' Heel for Ozone, and this is now completely revised, to some considerable advantage. One thing that I don't think is quite so good is that in the exciter, the 'warm' setting isn't as effective as the Ozone4 one is (the developers are aware of what I think about this, FWIW)

Overall, this is a considerable upgrade - a lot of things just seem to run a bit smoother than they do in 4, and there are extensive opportunities to reconfigure it. One neat thing that's happened is that you get two opportunities to do EQ tweaks now - you can do it pre and post processing, and they've upgraded the EQ engines as well. Taken all together, the number of improvements is pretty impressive - as are the end results.

But, as ever, a warning; it's easy to overdo this stuff, and without a decent pair of monitors, a sensible monitoring environment and considerable restraint, you are just as likely to make things worse as you are to make them better.

You can find out more here: Ozone 5 Complete Mastering System.

Reply #1
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Emmett Offline

I was able to check out a build of this about a month ago and its incredible.  They addressed most of my complaints.  The new exciter options are worth the price of admission.

The CEO was really pleased to tell me about the new reverb, following my gripes about the 'verb in prior versions.

Emmett
Reply #2
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

Thanks for the heads-up, Steve... it looks a treat!

For me, the simple ability to isolate the components of Ozone and utilize them as individuals plug-ins will be a godsend.  No more having to neutralize everything else just to use one thing. I didn't think the reverb was that bad, if it was used mildly, but if the new one is better... Hooray!

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #3
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:28:59 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I've just discovered that if you're a registered Ozone4 user, you may get an even better upgrade offer from iZotope if it just happens that they email you...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: