AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 04:13:06 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Adobe Audition 3.0
| | | |-+  Need Plugin
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Need Plugin  (Read 275 times)
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
tcatzere Offline

Anyone know of a good vst plugin that will basically just simulate the rich, warm sound of analog processing?
Reply #1
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:48:18 PM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

PSPAudioware makes a few different things.  In what they call their MixPack2 they have a plug-in called Mix Saturator2 that is made to simulate analog tube and tape saturation.  The caveat is that you must purchase the entire MixPack in order to use that plug-in.  It isn't cheap but there are a number of good plug-ins in the MixPack.

PSPAudioware also sells the NobleQ EQ.  While it is an EQ it also does a really good job of giving an analog feel to tracks and content.  It's cheaper than MixPack too. 

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #2
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:53:12 AM »
tcatzere Offline

They have a plug-in called Mix Saturator2 that is made to simulate analog tube and tape saturation.
Thanks, Eric, I'll check this out.  I have a question . . . do you happen to know if Mix Saturator includes any kind of "preset" that basically just emulates "analog" without making too many other changes or modifications to the file?
Reply #3
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:03 AM »
Emmett Offline

Analog what?  Transformer? Tube? Magnetic tape satration? Pentode? Triode? FET?  Most analog gear was designed to be transparent.  Different analog gear creates different sounds.  The Slate Digital VCC might be worth looking at.
Reply #4
« on: November 03, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

Thanks, Eric, I'll check this out.  I have a question . . . do you happen to know if Mix Saturator includes any kind of "preset" that basically just emulates "analog" without making too many other changes or modifications to the file?
There are a number of presets, including tape saturation and valve saturation.  It can do a number of things.  You can download the demo for free and check it out. 

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #5
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

The last two decades at least have brought along technical perfection to record and reproduce signals with distorsion and intermodulation  in the  0.00x % range and flat from 20 Hz ... 20 kHz up to the posts of the loudspeakers, which still are some orders of magnitude worse. Furthermore there are never ending discussions about sample rates above 44.1 kHz being superior or not (as treated in other threats).

What is the result of this (at least for part of us ) ? People search for ways to simulate tape saturation, triode or pentode (which ones ?) distorsion, intermodulation, and other artefacts that give the sound „warmth“! In 1964 I developped a set of tube amplifiers that still cannot be distinguished from modern semiconductor driven ones in specs and by listening, since they have similar low distorsion and attack time as the modern ones. Only their output is limited to 17 W. Tube lovers don't like them because they lack the typical „warm“ tube sound but are much more analytical.

Andrew Rose and many more people taking utmost care for restoring and remastering   precious old recorded material are definitely on the dark side of the moon. I feel the world is crazy !
Reply #6
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

I have some audio gear from Universal Audio in my racks, and I rely on it heavily. Bill Putnam Sr. founded the company back in the 60's and a lot of his designs are still going strong, albeit with some modernization when his sons re-founded the company in the 90"s. Every year they send me a thick, glossy-paper catalogue of all their analogue gear, as well as their digital emulators, which fill more than half the pages.

Most of these emulators are devoted to reproducing analogue sounds that were originally produced by analogue gear. Their best-sellers right now are tape machine emulators of the 2-track Ampex ATR-102 and the Studer multitrack 2" A800.

They've made a life's work out of going "back to the future..."

Check out their wares. Definitely not cheap!  (and they definitely work best with one of their accelerator cards!)    http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins.html

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: