AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 12:53:31 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  Jazz - New Guitar & Amp
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Jazz - New Guitar & Amp  (Read 321 times)
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

I have had my differences with the Gibson company over the years, and in fact once threatened never to buy another of their products. However, due to the buyout of one local chain of music stores by another chain, there was a bit of a "liquidation" of some existing stock, and some bargains to be had!

I got a new Gibson ES-175, a classic "jazz box" for a very good price and paired it with a new amp, a Henriksen JazzAmp 110. The EQ on this amp is just a little different than most guitar amplifiers, in that there is a 2:1 ratio above and below each of the 5 band controls. That is to say, for instance, that the 110 Hz control will affect the volume of frequencies from half that to twice that, and so on for each of the 5 bands. The EQ controls can be best thought of as volume controls for the given frequencies, since there is no shelving or other effect. The overtones of the note are not affected by the "tone control" as may be the case on other amps.

The boys came over for a jam session on Saturday evening, and we had a lot of fun! My son-in-law was present to record our shenanigans, and I am quite pleased with the result...  I like the guitar tone and he certainly got the drum kit right!

Here's a tune from an old Broadway show, Stop The World, I Want To Get Off.

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #1
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Cal Offline

Most excellent.... what was used for recording and processing? I'm thinking it was not Audition.

Reply #2
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

Audition 3 for mixing, Ozone 3 reverb plug-in, and some mild compression on the bass from the optical compressor on one of my LA-610 channel strips. Audition is all I ever use! I'm not sure exactly what he was tracking with, he had it all loaded up in Audition by the time we cleaned up the studio and I stuck my head in the control room. It's nice to be able to play while somebody else does the running around for a change!

Equipment was: (near as I can remember...)
Piano had an AKG 414 under the half-open lid. LA 610 preamp
Bass and guitar amps each had a Neumann KM 184 on the cabinet into LA 610s as well
A couple of Rode NT-1As as room overheads
...and he had every other small condensor I own arrayed around the drum kit... smiley  There were Rodes, Neumanns, and some old TOA K1s into a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 board and all into a M-Audio Delta 1010 interface.

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #3
« on: October 24, 2011, 06:32:56 PM »
Wildduck Offline

Really nice and great tone. And that's the model that Gibson copied from my Guild Capri   cheesy
Reply #4
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I'm thinking it was not Audition.
Why?

Reply #5
« on: October 25, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Cal Offline

I'm thinking it was not Audition.
Why?

Yep, I knew this was coming after I posted. Not intended to be a slight of Audition at all -- just a comment based on my first thoughts, and because it was a son-in-law and not Phil himself who did the recording. I was thinking the chances of them both using Audition may have been less than 50/50. And since Phil actually did the processing it makes sense Audition was used for that.

I use Audition for both when I can -- although I have Reaper installed on my laptop and am finding that since I stopped at Audition 1.5 but want to use my Ultra Fast Track 8-channel interface for multiple channel recordings in Win 7, I have to use Reaper and its ASIO capabilities. Audition, with some well selected plug-ins, will still always do the tail end stuff though.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: