AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 02:30:24 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  A surprising observation about vst folderlocations
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: A surprising observation about vst folderlocations  (Read 360 times)
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Peter Offline

I really couldn't imagine that the vst- and  vsti-plugins folders locations had some connections to what soundcard you use. But this has to be a fact (??).
Refering to my primary post "Audition 3.01input latency":

After I replaced the Infrasonic card with the Lexicon card, Audition refused to insert miditracks. Auditon totally "freezed" when I tried to open a session including miditracks. Same thing when I tried to insert a new mditrack to a clean, empty session.

I have used several soundcards as long as I've been working with Audition 3, and I allways had my "Vst 3-part Folder" located outside of the Adobe Audition programfolder. On the same C-drive, but not inside the Audition folder.

Ok....after a couple of hours thinking I moved the "Vst 3-part folder" inside the Audition folder. After that everything worked.

My "Vst 3-part folder" includes (among other things) ezdrummer.dll. I have the whole EZ-Drummer soundlibrary in a folder called "Toontrack", also on the C-drive outside the Audition-folder, because this is the way I have managed to get the Ez-drummer work in Audition. Only the ezdrummer.dll file in the Audition-folder, all sounds and drumsets in the Toontrack-folder.

So everything seems to be associated with everything when you set-up a DAW. Arghh...

Well..everything is working fine now. Perhaps my observation is just "well-known facts and old news", but if not, maybe this can help somebody.

Peter 

Reply #1
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Ok....after a couple of hours thinking I moved the "Vst 3-part folder" inside the Audition folder. After that everything worked.

Hmm... my experience of cause and effect (and a lot of experience with VSTs in Audition) indicates that these facts are very unlikely to be related.

In general, moving extra folders into the Audition folder really isn't a very good idea, as they aren't a part of the installation. And I've never come across anybody who's had a failure with Audition accessing VSTs - once the correct location to them was established. Most people just use the Steinberg default, but specifying a different path works just as well.

So if it's working now, and it wasn't before, I think you'd have to be looking for another explanation.

Reply #2
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
Peter Offline

Hi Steve!

Yes, your'e probably right.

But although everything works perfect in this way, I don't like odd things going on in my enviroment, that I cannot understand. So I moved the "Vst 3part folder" back outside the "Adobe Audition 3.0 folder".
After this operation I opened the "Add/Remove Vst Directory" in Audition. The only path there was (of course) the previous:

C\:Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Audition 3.0

So I added the path:

C\:Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Vst 3part

Now I had two paths in the "Add/Remove Vst Directory" and I pressed "Ok".

After this I opened "Refresh Effects List" and Audition did a scan.

Ok, everything still works perfect. I can add miditracks. I can find and use all Vst:s and Vsti:s.

The only (new) odd thing, is that when I open "Vst Plug-In Manager", there's a list of approximately 140 .dll-files. Everything from ""VXMPMetadata.dll" to  "regsresfr_FR.dll", which (by my knowledge) isn't Vst-effects or Vst-instruments.
Ok, but my real Vst and Vsti:s (appr. 40) are also in the end of the list. Of course I can enable only the .dll:s I know are Vst:s and Vsti:s. I can also enable all 140 .dll:s in the list. It makes no difference. Everything works both ways.

But just for possible problems in the future:

Do you think I'm still doing something wrong or stupid?

Peter
Reply #3
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
MarkT

The path into the AA folder is probably the problem. It is assuming that all dlls in the AA folder are VST plugins.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: