AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
January 31, 2012, 01:14:42 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2595 Members
Latest Member: gisnep336
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Audition CS5.5 AKA Audition 4
| | | |-+  Help with cleaning up Voice Recording
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Help with cleaning up Voice Recording  (Read 459 times)
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »
gToon Offline

I'm doing sound for a short machinima film and am presently cleaning up the voice actor files. Most of them are easy, but this one file has distortion I can't quite fix. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I'm using Audition 5.5, but also have Audition 3.1 installed as well. I've attached the file so anyone can listen to it.
Reply #1
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

Thanks for including the pertinent file. Even when I am listening carefully to it I can not find something that belongs to the term distorsion. However, beside a clear voice, I notice a trailing noise floor that will disturb only very critical listeners. Is it that what you mean ? Most likely such trailing noise is produced by compression such as dBx and similar processing. If it is not the trailing noise floor you address, I think there is something wrong with your playback equipment.
Reply #2
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:13 AM »
gToon Offline

Thanks for your quick response, Bert. I wasn't sure what to call it, but "trailing noise floor" sounds right. I'm glad to hear that it's something that will only disturb very critical listeners, as you  say. I'll just leave as is.

Where would you say, in your experience, this voice sample lands in terms of quality?

Thanks again.
Reply #3
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

Where would you say, in your experience, this voice sample lands in terms of quality?

Well, in a video production, the main attention is usually given to the picture, that's why I made my comment that only a very critical person will notice it. Furthermore it depends on the structure of the complete soundtrack. Often there is additional environmental sound or music which helps to mask such minor deficiencies. My experience with video only consists of recording musical tracks which must have a proper relation to the picture, such as stereo image (distance and reverberation).  Best you take care to use no or very little compression for the original voice recording. Trailing noise floors are rather hopeless for postprocessing. If everything else is OK (especially the video) it's rather unlikely that your production fails due to this small artefact.
Reply #4
« on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
gToon Offline

Thanks for your insightful comments, Bert. Appreciate your perspective. Very helpful.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: