AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
January 31, 2012, 10:20:29 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2595 Members
Latest Member: gisnep336
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Audition CS5.5 AKA Audition 4
| | | |-+  Audition CS5.5 with external USB-Midi cable from Logilink
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Audition CS5.5 with external USB-Midi cable from Logilink  (Read 1403 times)
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
alexandergberg Offline

Greetings from Pilgerzell and thanks for let in.

As a beginner with audio, I bought a USB-MIDI adapter from Logilink (16 Midi & 16 Out). My Keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-175. The adapter itself needs no driver. When I test the configuration: keyboard, adapter with the free program Anvil Studio - all works fine. But when I try to use this hardware configuration with Audition, Audition don't show any possibility to include Midi. It seems that Audition doesn't recognize the adapter. Neither in the Preferences nor in the track context menue.

Could it be, that Audition is a little bit "snooty" in terms of audio hardware?

Kind regards
Alexander
Reply #1
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

As a beginner with audio, I bought a USB-MIDI adapter from Logilink (16 Midi & 16 Out). My Keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-175. The adapter itself needs no driver. When I test the configuration: keyboard, adapter with the free program Anvil Studio - all works fine. But when I try to use this hardware configuration with Audition, Audition don't show any possibility to include Midi. It seems that Audition doesn't recognize the adapter. Neither in the Preferences nor in the track context menue.

Could it be, that Audition is a little bit "snooty" in terms of audio hardware?

Well, Audition has been known to be a bit snooty, but only about badly-coded VST plugins as far as I'm aware. But that's not the reason that your device isn't recognised at all - the reason is far more basic than that. And it is that Audition CS5.5 simply doesn't do MIDI. At all. In any way, shape or form. Accordingly, it ignores MIDI devices completely.

Now, quite a few of us think that this is a good idea. Audition isn't exactly an ideal program to use for music creation because it attempted to come to this particular market rather late, and consequently would always be playing catch-up against the likes of Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc. The developers have finally realised that what Audition should be doing is playing to its strengths - which lie in the areas of editing, and doing multitrack overlays of audio. This is why they've put rather more effort into making Audition rather more compatible with the rest of the Creative Suite - as a means of doing better sound for video. Mind you, I don't think they had a lot of choice about that - Adobe corporate almost certainly didn't like the maverick Audition floating around being a law unto itself, and they've reined it in. We have suspected ever since they took over the software (Cool Edit) and development team from Syntrillium that this might happen, and in some ways it's amazing that it's retained its status as an independent application for as long as it has. I think that this has been mainly because of strong support from radio broadcasters in the past, but even they are all being forced into multi-purpose delivery these days, which may have been more driving force for the change.

If you really feel that you must attempt to use Audition for MIDI, you'll need Audition 3.0, which has a basic MIDI implementation. Alternatively, (and I believe that quite a few people do this now) use Reaper, and Audition as the editor for it. This is supposed to work pretty well as a combination.

Reply #2
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
dobro Offline

...Audition CS5.5 simply doesn't do MIDI. At all. In any way, shape or form. Accordingly, it ignores MIDI devices completely.

Now, quite a few of us think that this is a good idea.

And there's another quite a few of us who don't care much whether Audition does MIDI or not, because as you pointed out, Reaper's a cheap, good way to get it done. It's a different valuation of MIDI not being in Audition, but the net result is the same.

Audition isn't exactly an ideal program to use for music creation because it attempted to come to this particular market rather late, and consequently would always be playing catch-up against the likes of Cubase, Sonar, Logic, etc.
But (just to detour this thread a tiny bit) what about control surfaces?  Although I haven't got into control surfaces myself yet, I bet there'd be a lot more agreement amongst users about the usefulness of being able to use a control surface with Audition.  In other words, in this regard, Audition *ought* to catch up.  Or are Audition users by and large mousers?
Reply #3
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »
Wildduck Offline

But (just to detour this thread a tiny bit) what about control surfaces?  Although I haven't got into control surfaces myself yet, I bet there'd be a lot more agreement amongst users about the usefulness of being able to use a control surface with Audition.  In other words, in this regard, Audition *ought* to catch up.  Or are Audition users by and large mousers?

Well, I have 2 Red Rovers and the Tascam FW-1884 and believe we need to push Adobe like mad on this.

They did have, and I tried to use, the SDK for earlier versions of CEP/Audition. As far as I could tell, based on my then declining and now almost defunct C++ skills, it was broken. I did contact Adobe and they looked at it and sent me an update, which I then set about debugging. Then I gave up because, in spite of asking around, I couldn't find anyone to share the load fun and further emails to Adobe led nowhere.

To the extent that it works, the Tascam is superb in conjunction with the mixer screen in Audition.

Extendable Mackie emulation would be a start and open up the market before all the surfaces move on to a new generation.
Reply #4
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

But (just to detour this thread a tiny bit) what about control surfaces?  Although I haven't got into control surfaces myself yet, I bet there'd be a lot more agreement amongst users about the usefulness of being able to use a control surface with Audition. 

In terms of being able to use professional tactile feedback devices, yes. But forget about iJokePads and the like, though - they don't provide anything useful at all in this context.

So as far as I'm concerned, then yes to the Red Rover (I have one as well), and yes to implementing the Mackie HUI properly (this is why Yamaha mixers can't be used at present as controllers), as well.

Reply #5
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
richlepage Offline

I'll certainly put in a vote for control surface support - the Alphatrack we often use with AA3 is of course non functional with CS5.5/AA4.
The Behringer we've used off and on with earlier versions is as well, and so is the now-pretty-old Red Rover.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: