AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Big soundwaves, quiet sound
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Big soundwaves, quiet sound  (Read 515 times)
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:21:07 AM »
evant Offline

Hey everyone-
I'm working on a piece I recorded in the field (eastern greenland actually). I'm running into a big problem. After significant hiss reduction (crappy mic) the soundwaves look pretty damn big,but the sound itself is still very quiet. When I amplify the cuts anymore, they become distorted. Its actually driving me nuts...Has anyone else every run into this problem.

Its strange, because its multi-tracked with other cuts that sound just fine (no distortion at all), even though they look just as big as these problematic pieces. I'm trying to put this piece together to pitch to a few different shows, so while I can put a bunch of nat sound behind the crappy cuts, they still have to be loud enough to get heard.

Sorry if this isn't an amazing description of the problem, but any help at all would be really appreciated!
Reply #1
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:44 AM »
AndyH Offline

Sorry if this isn't an amazing description of the problem

Can you post a 5 or 10 second clip?

Maybe also the same thing unprocessed ?
Reply #2
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quite often large waveforms with very little apparent sound are caused by wind - and if you don't have a suitable set of monitors, you wouldn't find out just what this sounded like anyway.

Posting a sample would be the thing to do, though.

Reply #3
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

Steve's probably hit the nail on the head - try running a high pass filter over the very low bass and see what it looks like afterwards.

Reply #4
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »
SafeandSound123 Offline

Yes good luck with the HPF there are normally harmonics as well making successful removal almost impossible.
It depends on the wind to wanted sound ratio as to how effective the filter will be.

All the best with it.

online mastering
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: