AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 10:33:31 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  shams
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: shams  (Read 1296 times)
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
dobro Offline

Same question: How's the reverb on this one?  And the levels?  Panning?  EQ?

This one's the last track on the album.  I want it to be good.  grin

Man, does anyone do albums any more?  Past a certain age, I mean.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1093971

"11 shams"
Reply #1
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Albums are very useful for anyone with an attention span of over 3 minutes.  Which seems to be getting rarer.

Speaking of 3 minutes, sorry, no time to listen just now.   sad
Reply #2
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:20:56 AM »
dobro Offline

Albums are very useful for anyone with an attention span of over 3 minutes.  Which seems to be getting rarer.

Speaking of 3 minutes, sorry, no time to listen just now.   sad

grin

You have to go spend some quality time with your significant other in a slow food moment, right?
Reply #3
« on: April 30, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

No, huge deadline, my ears belong to a significant other at the moment... a project.  Overtime city!
Reply #4
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:09:17 AM »
dobro Offline

I understand not listening to other people's stuff - I do that all the time.  afro

This is just a one time thing, though.  How's the reverb? 
Reply #5
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Hey Dobro, I'm sitting here with a couple of quiet minutes in front of my good monitor speakers, and I get a login request when I click on your link.  Nothing personal here, just not interested in signing up with them to get your download.  Please tell me there's something wrong that you can fix with that.  Thanks!
Reply #6
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »
dobro Offline

It's not a download, it's an online play at Soundclick.  Yeah, I understand not wanting to join a site in order to listen to somebody else's stuff.  Thanks for taking the time, though.
Reply #7
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Are you saying that if I sign up, it will then stream to my computer?  Not that I really want to do that.

How about a little clip attached to this thread?
Reply #8
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »
dobro Offline

Okay, for what it's worth, you can play stuff at Soundclick without signing up.  Just click on the play arrow beside the tune, and it'll play.
Reply #9
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
MarkT

Okay, for what it's worth, you can play stuff at Soundclick without signing up.  Just click on the play arrow beside the tune, and it'll play.

Hi, I followed the link but couldn't get past the login page - not cool - is your link correct?
Reply #10
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
dobro Offline

Oh man, did I link to the wrong page?  How typical...  rolleyes

Reply #11
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Yay.  This finally works and I've had a listen.

I haven't listened to a lot of your other music, but my first impression is that this isn't your most integrated mix.  How's that for starting off with a negative?  A lot of what I'm referring to is related to EQ, and is easily corrected.  That is, it's corrected if that's the sound you want, a concept that I'm not terribly familiar with! 

The first thing I notice is a substantial lack of anything below about 100Hz.  Considering that there's a bass line, and elsewhere in this project your bass sounds perfect, I'm wondering if this is a desired effect?  If so, perhaps you'd be willing to make the shallow effect come and go and not run for the entire song.  Similarly, the vocal has that treblly boost in the 5-8Khz range that helps it keep its place in the overall mix, but that's also not an effect you always use.  My penchant for natural sound influences me here... I'd rather you tame some of the electric guitar notes that "stab" into the vocal space so the vocal's treble boost could be lessened.

Reverbs sound just right.  Not too large, not too prominent, with just enough "room" to set up a comfy context.  Overall mix levels are okay by me, but my timbre-related comments will "improve" the levels to my ear.
Reply #12
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:31 AM »
dobro Offline

Well, that was worth pursuing.  cool

Thanks for the feedback about the reverb.  This makes me want to try a mix in 5.5, which I've been too busy to try.

Thanks for the rest of the mix ideas too - this'll be fun to play with in the mix and see.  smiley
Reply #13
« on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:09 AM »
dobro Offline

I tried your mix ideas, MC, and I like them - thanks very much.  Here's the result:

Shams a la MC

With more bass, it sounds cooler.  Henry Mancini would like it better this way.

The bongo's a db louder too.  Rhythm reigns on this one.
Reply #14
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »
GuidoB Offline

Hi Dobro,

thanks for sharing your music. I think that reverb is very okay. Maybe the voice is 1 dB too loud - question of taste! What got my attention immediately was the bassline: Could it be slighhtly out of tune (little bit too high)? Please check again on that.

Regards
Guido

Speed never kills you - suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! (J. Clarkson)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: