AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 07:37:36 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  need help cleaning up audio for movie
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: need help cleaning up audio for movie  (Read 1364 times)
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:02:03 AM »
hoodleehoo Offline

I am mixing audio for a feature film and need to clean up the audio. The audio isn't horrible, but it's not great either. We used a boom mic straight into a zoom recorder but no pre-amp (despite my strong recommendation). There is a prominent electrical noise in all the audio. In the cases where the boom guy was able to get close enough there's enough separation in volume that it's workable. But, some of the actors were very weak voiced and sometimes the boom guy didn't get close enough so the noise is an issue.

There are also some shots where a/c or outside generators (or loud a/c units) really muddy up the audio and sound like white noise.

I've used soundsoap 2 and haven't been too happy with most of the results in the past as the outcome sounded weird. Removing narrow frequency sounds like audio cleaning products always show in demos is one thing, but removing electrical noise or a/c noise seems to be all over the frequency spectrum and seems to be really difficult to remove.

I don't restore any music or anything like that, I only need it to clean up film audio. Should I get RX advanced, or would RX2 be sufficient? There's a huge price difference between them! Thanks!
Reply #1
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:18 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

First of all, have you tried the Effects>Restoration>Noise Reduction tool in Audition 3?  If you don't have it, download the demo.  So, play with each of the control parameters because they make a huge difference as to the outcome of your attempt.  Reading Help first is a good thing too.
Reply #2
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
jamesp Offline

From the samples that I've heard, Audition is a big improvement over Sound Soap.

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Audio Mastering, Duplication and Restoration
Reply #3
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

I can't remember what differences there are between RX2 standard and Advanced, but I completely swear by the latter for restoration. There's very little it doesn't do a lot, lot better than Audition in this respect. I suggest it's probably the tool you need, from what you've stated here.

Reply #4
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:09:59 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

There are also some shots where a/c or outside generators (or loud a/c units) really muddy up the audio and sound like white noise.

It's hard to understand how someone can run a production without monitoring the sound at the source. Repair with mostly doubtful results costs a lot more in terms of money and brain.
Reply #5
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Low budget = quick & dirty, less control or finessing of the shooting environment.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: