AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:44:59 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Hardware and Soundcards
| | |-+  Alternative Firewire Port Possibilities?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Alternative Firewire Port Possibilities?  (Read 1632 times)
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:47:29 AM »
MMMM Offline

Hello All,

General Computer Hardware question for the board:

So, last year I bought a laptop, mostly intended to to be used for general use as opposed to heavy session work, which I leave for my tower to process.
However, more and more it seems very useful to have similar capabilities on the laptop.  This has not been a problem, but for one big missing hardware link, a firewire port.  I bought the best laptop I could find in my budget, which was under $1000.  I am very happy with it's performance otherwise, and it handles everything I throw at it well.  However, laptops in this range do not have Firewore ports or Express ports for a card.

I really don't have any confidence in the FW to USB adapters that people talk about, especially for audio and video applications.

The only possibility I see is if I could swap the DVD drive, temporarily with a FW adapter.  Does such a thing exist?  I remember seeing laptops long ago with swapable optical and floppy drives, maybe there is something similar?

Maybe someone with a similar problem can suggest another solution.

Thanks for reading.
Reply #1
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
ryclark Offline

Unfortunately no I don't think so. Some modern ones can swap the optical drive for an extra hard drive. The only real option is to buy a new audio interface with USB2 interface. These seem to be as good as Firewire and maybe more reliable. Some manufactures like Motu do dual Firewire/USB2 ones.
Reply #2
« on: February 03, 2011, 02:28:55 PM »
Havoc Offline

I have no idea if they exsist, but some laptops do have internal PCI-E space. Maybe there would be a card that fits?

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #3
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »
MMMM Offline

I have no idea if they exsist, but some laptops do have internal PCI-E space. Maybe there would be a card that fits?
Sorry, I should been more clear that my computer does not have one of these ports.  I called it an Express port in my inital post.

ryclark, yes audio hardware is definately more flexible, though my main concern at tthe moment is DV video which is very limited to Firewire.  And right now buy a tapeless camera system is not in the books!.  Regardless, I'd hate to depend on USB 2.0 for an 8 input field recording session.

I was hopeful about the optical drive swap, since it looks like only one screw is secureing the thing to my box.  But I think you are right that such a thing is not intended.

I'm still hoping some way it may be.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply #4
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
ryclark Offline

Therefore do you actually have an Expresscard or PMCIA port on the laptop. Firewire cards are available for these.
Reply #5
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
Havoc Offline

Sorry, I should been more clear that my computer does not have one of these ports.  I called it an Express port in my inital post.

I understood, but sometimes this is an internal one, that is hidden behind a screwed panel on the bottom. They are more intended for wireless but maybe there are firewire cards around. Never looked myself. Might need a bit work to get a connector out of it but it could be an option.

Reply #6
« on: February 03, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
MMMM Offline

I understood, but sometimes this is an internal one, that is hidden behind a screwed panel on the bottom. They are more intended for wireless but maybe there are firewire cards around. Never looked myself. Might need a bit work to get a connector out of it but it could be an option.

Oh really?  I was not a aware of that.  I will have to investigate.  Any hints on what to look for, either physically or specification wise?

Thanks.
Reply #7
« on: February 03, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Havoc Offline

Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_PCI_Express_Mini_Card_and_its_connector.jpg

No guarantee that such a card is available and that it can/will work in your laptop.

Reply #8
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

So where does the Firewire socket go on a card inserted into the base of a laptop?

Reply #9
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
pwhodges Offline

There will be no such card, as there is never a way to connect out from inside the case.  It's not even worth a brief look.

Paul
Reply #10
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

Both Steve and Paul are wrong. There are such cards as may be found in www.belkin.com that fit to the new laptop express card standard. The question only is if there is such a port in the given laptop. A have an Acer 4920G that would accept such a card. The plug of course stands out. However since I have an integrated firewire port, I do not need that slot.
Reply #11
« on: February 03, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 200

Sorry - I overlooked there is NO such port in MMMM's laptop !
Reply #12
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:33:01 AM »
Wildduck Offline

Isn't the question whether a pci-e to ExpressCard adapter is possible? When I bought one of these Win7 laptops (the Acer 5536G), I did research that made me think it had an ExpressCard slot. What I didn't realise was that the websites saying this were Indian, so either there is a different version or there was a mistake on the sites.
Reply #13
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Both Steve and Paul are wrong.

How could I be wrong anyway?? I only asked a question!

Reply #14
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
ryclark Offline

The new Lenovo laptop that I have just bought has an Expresscard 34 port to which I have added a Lindy Firewire card with Texas chipset. So, yes, you need to have the Expresscard port to add one but when you come to want to disconnect it the Safely Remove Hardware popup says that it is linked to the PCI-E buss.

So everyone is correct in some way. But unfortunately that doesn't help MMMM unless his laptop has the necessary port.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: