AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
March 07, 2011, 09:24:17 AM
72057 Posts in 7573 Topics by 2391 Members
Latest Member: Usadoctor
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Good ears - The best monitors
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Good ears - The best monitors  (Read 324 times)
« on: January 14, 2011, 09:30:27 PM »
Keith828 Offline

I confess I'm a complete Mastering rookie, I downloaded the Mac version of AA on Monday, I've learnt a huge amount reading in this forum and I would like to say a personal thank you to all the professionals and amateurs that have taken the time to advise and help where they can, I at least have found all your input very informative.

I believe I have good ears, so I'm very interested to hear opinions on these versions of Depeche Mode's 'Told You So.'

Version 1 is the original imported directly into Pro Tools from their 'Contruction Time Again' disc, and bounced as an AIF, and uploaded to SoundCloud

Versions 2 & 3 are version 1 having been through AA, then imported to Pro Tools and bounced as AIFs, and uploaded to Soundcloud.

Is version 1 best, and if you believe it is could you explain why you believe it is?
Are either or both of versions 2 & 3 improvements, or worse, and if you believe so could you explain why?

I'm hoping that many pairs of good ears here can explain the 'finer' points, what I'll miss or not understand when Mastering my mixes.

Many thanks to anyone that takes the time to help.  Keith.

Version 1 - http://soundcloud.com/user9362408/1-1/s-ycFxV

Version 2 - http://soundcloud.com/user9362408/2-1/s-6p2lg

Version 3 - http://soundcloud.com/user9362408/3-1/s-dhfFO

**Copyright disclaimer - These versions of 'Told You So' are available for use under the 'critical and educational' exceptions made available by the copyright act 2008, and are intended for private use within a member forum and must not be distributed in any form.**
Reply #1
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Version 1 doesn't seem to exist on the cloud, so it's not possible to make any comparisons.

Reply #2
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
Keith828 Offline

Version 1 doesn't seem to exist on the cloud, so it's not possible to make any comparisons.

Cn't summise why you're having a problem Steve, seems to be there OK when I click.   huh
Reply #3
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Well whatever caused it, I don't know, but it's there again now. Yesterday it said 'whoops - we can't find this file...'

Reply #4
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
Cal Offline

Version 1 is the original so no comment on that. Version 2's compression would disqualify it for me. Version 3 has been lightly treated in a way that gives some pleasant punch and solidarity.

Reply #5
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:44:28 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

**Copyright disclaimer - These versions of 'Told You So' are available for use under the 'critical and educational' exceptions made available by the copyright act 2008, and are intended for private use within a member forum and must not be distributed in any form.**

Don't think that this would actually save you from prosecution. You've put the whole of an original track on the cloud, and that amounts to a file share of a commercial track - which according to you could get you prosecuted. Our forum rule K gives implicit permission to make partial  quotes - because that is allowable under the current fair use terms (we think privately that you can get away with up to 1/3 of a track, but this isn't tested). If what you did was permissible, then every (illegal) file sharing service could make a similar statement for each file they put up - you can download it but not distribute it. But that won't stand up in court. Suffice it to say that if you'd posted the files here, I would have removed them and suggested that you shortened them. Since you've only linked to them, then this is on your shoulders, not ours.

3 is better than 2, but I prefer the original.

Reply #6
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
MasheenH3ad Offline
Engaged in Writing Musical Ideas Posts: 61

I actually think I prefer the original track.

You see I am not a fan of too much revision for in the course of revising the original essence of the work decreases as it continues the essence can be gone.

Linking Image" style="margin:14px;

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: