AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
March 09, 2011, 03:14:45 AM
72075 Posts in 7573 Topics by 2392 Members
Latest Member: Usadoctor
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Shifting phase and how this is used- Question re Pseudo Stereo
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Shifting phase and how this is used- Question re Pseudo Stereo  (Read 277 times)
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
Don Giovanni Offline

I'm afraid I don't really understand how changing the phase of a recording (or the phase of a single channel in a recording) by + 90 degrees, -90 degrees, + 180 degrees etc is used. I am interested in how changes in phase are used to create pseudo stereo. The variations I tried using Graphic Phase Shifter in Cool Edit just tended to leave a sort of hollow gap in the middle of the mix.

Can anyone explain what changes in phase can do in terms of pseudo-stereo style effects? I am afraid I do not really understand the topic except that if the channels are phased in a certain way then they cancel each other out.  I notice that phase shifts 'like the 1960s' tend to be mocked but I am unsure quite what this means - can anyone tell me what changes in phase were used in the past for pseudo stereo and can any of them be employed now to create nice effects?

Thanks
David
Reply #1
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

Hmmm... lots of takers on this one.   wink

Your last comment presents the conundrum: a 'nice' effect vs. phase shifting.  Now, if you're a guitarist and need some cool phase-based effects, that's one thing.  However, putting an entire mix through a phase shifter for the purposes of pseudo-stereo is likely to always produce the very experience you described, at least to a discerning ear: hollow.   So you're not off in your description of the problem.  I'm not aware of a good solution.

So the real question is more along the lines of what you're willing to do to the audio to create fake stereo.  The nature of the recording is important too, because all pseudo-stereo processes are gimmicks, and some gimmicks fit specific styles of recordings better than others.  You can do it by phase shifts (but mono summing just gets awful), narrow frequency band splitting (then your notes jump around at times), or by adding artificial ambiance (drowning in reverb no longer presents the original mix the way it was meant to be heard, but much of it will disappear when summed to mono).  At this point in my life I'm accepting the virtues of virgin mono more than I did years ago and usually just leave it alone.  The exception is when I can add some ambiance because it suits the recording nicely.

I'm no historian when it comes to the other portions of your question.  Sorry.  Hope this is helpful to you otherwise, David.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: