AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 04:23:58 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit 96, 2000, 1.2a
| | | |-+  CE2000 has no memory of previous sessions?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: CE2000 has no memory of previous sessions?  (Read 1030 times)
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
rahalak Offline

I've been using Cool Edit for over ten years, and have successfully moved it from computer to computer (and OS to OS). I'm currently using it (Cool Edit 2000 1.1 build 2418) on a Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP.

For the past few years I've been putting up with some minor annoyances, but having found this forum, I'm hoping someone can help me clear them up.  CE2000's "memory" of previous sessions seems to have been frozen in time.  For example, when I click <file> it lists the 8 most recently opened files. Except the list is actually the same 8 files that have been showing up there for several years.  The exception to this is that within a single session, it remembers what was most recently opened, but once I close CE2000 and come back to it later the recent files list has reverted to the same "old eight."

The exact same is true regarding recent directories.  When I click <open> - at the top of the dialog box there is a window that lists the 8 most recent directories.  Except it always lists the same 8 locations from years ago.  It updates within a session, but reverts once I close Cool Edit.

A similar thing happens when creating a new waveform.  It always defaults to 44100 sample rate, mono, 32 bit.  It remembers my changes during a session, but reverts after closing.  Same with changes I make to settings under the options tab.

Anybody have insight into what is happening?  It is possible that these anomalies began when I installed CE2000 on Windows XP - I don't recall exactly when they started, or if they all started at the same time.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Reply #1
« on: May 04, 2010, 04:37:14 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

It sounds like the user preferences folder has been set to "read only."  For example, if you had brought a user profile or CE2000 preferences over to your present computer via a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM data disc, then this scenario would result.

I don't know CE2000's exact paths because I've never used it, but later versions relied on the registry more heavily, so I'm going to assume that it's similar to CEP2.x.  So first, make sure in Windows Explorer that system files are NOT hidden.  Then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\\Application Data\Syntrillium and see if there's a folder there for CE2000, and if so, make sure when right-clicking on it for Properties that it isn't set to read-only.  Double check the files inside.  And keep regular backups of these files!

Does that help?
Reply #2
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
ryclark Offline

They will probably be .ini files and could also be in your CE program folder.
Reply #3
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
rahalak Offline

That worked!!  Thank you both, I'd have never figured that out on my own.  grin
Chris
Reply #4
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:14 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Sweet!  Glad it was relatively simple.  (If only everything were...)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: