AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 11:57:02 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Saving the same session, keeping each previous saved one?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Saving the same session, keeping each previous saved one?  (Read 8837 times)
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:53 AM »
GZsound Offline

Is there a way to save a session, say the original recording tracks before any editing, and keep that saved session and the files but then also save the session and all the files after editing is done?

Perhaps even save multiple copies of the original session at various stages of editing and mixing? I have been backing each session up to DVD so I can revert to the original session or the first mix, second mix, etc. because I can't figure out how to save each iteration and keep the previous one.

Help?

Mark G.

"You would think after 40 years of practice I would be better".
Reply #1
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

File management has always been a bit of an issue with Audition and CEP, in some ways. I'm not actually in front of a computer that has any version at all on it at the moment, but the usual approach to doing multiple saves of a session is to use 'Save Session As', and resave your session in a different folder. The other thing you have to remember to do is to save copies of associated files, especially if you've had a file open in EV and made any permanent changes to it.

But you have to create the folders, and there's no automatic versioning, and no way of detecting which files you need to save because they've been edited since the last session save. And I daresay that others could come up with more desirable features as well. So yes, things could be more helpful, certainly.

Reply #2
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
Boyd Bristow Offline

Yes, Steve is right, just save newer versions of the edits using save-as.  This only saves the session file, unless you have added, or altered, the raw sound files as well; then it will want to save those changes, as well.  But if I understand your question right, I'm not sure why you would need to put new session files in a different folder.  Assuming you do not alter the files in edit view and are working exculsively in multi track view, I would suggest putting all your wav files and sess files for that song in one folder. Then, as you progress in your edits, hit "save as" and give your sess file a descriptive name.  What I have settled on is simply dating each new sess file.  But I put the word "edit" first so that they all are gathered in the same location in the folder.  Example: Edit 7-31-09.  Again, assuming you haven't been altering the sound files themselves in edit view, when you open one of those sess files you will revert to exactly the way things were on that day.  Which is often a very useful thing to be able to do!

Boyd
Reply #3
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »
GZsound Offline

Thanks guys..  I am still confused a bit, so let me explain my procedure.

Let's say I record a blues band. I do all the basic tracks at the same time with a scratch vocal. I want to save that session as the original recording with all the unaltered files saved along with it.

Then I edit the tracks, again using edit view. The files are changed. I want to save that session and group of altered and unaltered files for later recall in their own folder. 

Here is an example that recently came up. When mixing I removed a high hat click track behind some backing vocals and saved the session. The client, when hearing the song, said he wanted the hi hat track back in.  Since I had backed the original session to DVD it was no problem bringing the hi hat track back...But, I would like to be able to do that kind of saving to one of my two data drives.  Say an original .ses with all the original unedited files, and then the three or four sessions with the altered and unaltered files so I can revert back to an earlier session if necessary.

Would simply numbering the sessions save all the files of each session when I "save as"? Including all altered and unaltered files in the session?

Thanks for the help..

Mark G.

Reply #4
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Would simply numbering the sessions save all the files of each session when I "save as"? Including all altered and unaltered files in the session?

There's nothing automatic about the procedure at all, I'm afraid. If you save a changed version of a session in a new folder and you've changed the files, the only sensible thing to do when you do the new save is to use the 'save all associated files' button - at which point the session (you could call it anything you liked - even the same name if it's in a different folder, although that's probably not a good idea!) and copies of all of the current files you are using will end up in the folder. And 'all' does mean exactly what it says - you will get the lot, even the ones that haven't changed.

But as I said, there's no 'version management' as such - you have to do all of this yourself. This approach hasn't really altered over several releases, and any detailed information is either in the help files or manual. In fact, like most things to do with manuals for CEP/Audition, the earlier the manual version you use, the better - especially when it comes to stuff that hasn't been updated over different software iterations. In general, the new manuals are very little help at all, especially in terms of procedure.

Reply #5
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
runaway Offline

After trying to work out exactly what you were after I guess I have to say that I would doubt if there was any DAW which had that level of 'rollback' functionality.

However what I would do would be to get a copy of SyncToy (free) and setup a couple of different 'backup pairs' to suit your circumstances.

You could setup to backup the same thing to different locations and then recall the one you wanted should you need it.

Or do everything in MV and save as different session names.

Just a thought...

Reply #6
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »
GZsound Offline

Again, I thank everyone for their help.

I think I will just start trying different methods to accomplish what I need, even to the point of saving different iterations of a session on different hard drives.

And as I said, the system I have been using of simply backing up a changed session to DVD has worked well. I can revert to and reload sessions from any date by doing it that way and DVD's are only twenty cents each these days..

Time to start experimenting..

Thanks again...

Mark G.

Reply #7
« on: August 03, 2009, 06:02:23 AM »
GZsound Offline

I figured it out today.

Simple...really simple. Just make a new folder and save the session under a different name (or number) each time and make sure and select the "save all associated files" and the entire session with all files, altered or not, gets saved to the new location.

So now under the master name of the song I have "session 1, session 2, session3", etc. and just save after each editing session into the proper folder with all the associated files.

Doh!

Mark G.

Reply #8
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:15 AM »
runaway Offline

Chances are with that many iterations you might find this useful

www.mediasweeper.com.au

Shameless plug No2  grin

Reply #9
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

...Simple...really simple. Just make a new folder and save the session under a different name (or number) each time and make sure and select the "save all associated files" and the entire session with all files, altered or not, gets saved to the new location.

As standard operating procedure, I add the date and/or time into my nomenclature. e.g.  BluesbandAug1,  BluesbandAug13:15, etc. If at some time in the future you need to search for the session on a huge hard drive, you will probably have an idea when you did the session and.or edits, and all possibilities with Aug in the header will come up. I can find this in my billing records and studio log.

The studio log usually is annotated with what I have done on each iteration. (applied EQ, normalized, etc...) That way you can go back and find a particular track to splice into a later mix if you have to.

Simple...? Not really, you just need to stay on top of it...

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #10
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:13:21 AM »
GZsound Offline

I have been saving a small text file with each iteration of a session that does exactly what you describe. Changes, alterations, effects, processiing and any notes I need to leave myself for later...etc.

And I don't ultimately save my sessions to a hard drive, but eventually they end up on multiple DVD's for archiving. I save the sessions to two hard drives until the project is finished and then archive to DVD.

Mark G.

Reply #11
« on: August 05, 2009, 01:01:58 AM »
alanofoz Offline

Assuming you do not alter the files in edit view and are working exculsively in multi track view, I would suggest putting all your wav files and sess files for that song in one folder. Then, as you progress in your edits, hit "save as" and give your sess file a descriptive name...

This is the type of workflow that makes the most sense to me. If I am going to change any of the wave files I'll do that early in the piece. Then I can save the session with a different name in the same folder as many times as I like without having to save copies of the wave files each time.

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #12
« on: August 05, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
GZsound Offline

Assuming you do not alter the files in edit view and are working exculsively in multi track view, I would suggest putting all your wav files and sess files for that song in one folder. Then, as you progress in your edits, hit "save as" and give your sess file a descriptive name...

This is the type of workflow that makes the most sense to me. If I am going to change any of the wave files I'll do that early in the piece. Then I can save the session with a different name in the same folder as many times as I like without having to save copies of the wave files each time.

This makes sense to me too, however, I do my mixing by actually editing the files whenever possible. It may be backward, but I prefer to actually lower the level of the file in edit view instead of using the track volume slider, for example. So, normally, I end up changing a lot of the files every time I do a remix or editing session. My reasoning is that if I have to export the .wav files to another studio or DAW, each track is already exactly as it should be as far as level, EQ, reverb, etc.

And with hard drives so cheap it isn't a problem saving multiple sessions with all the associated files included each time.

Mark G.

Reply #13
« on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:58 PM »
alanofoz Offline

Hmmmmm... OK  undecided

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #14
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
runaway Offline

This makes sense to me too, however, I do my mixing by actually editing the files whenever possible. It may be backward, but I prefer to actually lower the level of the file in edit view instead of using the track volume slider, for example. So, normally, I end up changing a lot of the files every time I do a remix or editing session. My reasoning is that if I have to export the .wav files to another studio or DAW, each track is already exactly as it should be as far as level, EQ, reverb, etc.

Each to their own but that doesn't make any sense to me.
Destructively editing something leaves you with almost no options.
If you have applied all the fx, eq & verb what is there to do in another studio - sounds to me like you've already mixed it.
There is certainly no way of taking the reverb off for example.

The greatest thing (apart from the devil convincing people he didn't exist) is non-destructive editing - you never have to worry if there is too much reverb etc so when the client changes his mind and doesn't want another truckload of reverb ordered then because you can always change it.  grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: