AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
March 08, 2012, 02:20:22 AM
73870 Posts in 7790 Topics by 2620 Members
Latest Member: techliance.android
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  parametric EQ
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: parametric EQ  (Read 12594 times)
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »
andres Offline

Can anyone suggest me a good parametric EQ, commercial or free?
I don't like Audition's EQ, and I'm searching for a better one that works with AA 1.5...

p.s. Is there a new parametric EQ in AA 3.0?

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #1
« on: April 26, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

I have one from PSP Audioware called Master Q.  I like it because it gives more bands and different controls than the one in Audition.  It's great for a channel EQ when Audition's Parametric isn't enough.  (Not all things are tracked well, after all.)
I do have to say that I use Audition's Parametric more, though, especially in Edit View when doing manipulations of only one or maybe two frequencies. 

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #2
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:40:13 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I don't like Audition's EQ, and I'm searching for a better one that works with AA 1.5...

It probably doesn't like you either...  tongue

p.s. Is there a new parametric EQ in AA 3.0?

Yes and no. The original EQ, which most of us don't have any particular problems with, is still there - because there's nothing wrong with it. But in addition to that, AA3.0 comes with a shrunken version of iZotope's Ozone in its mastering section, and that comes with 3 bands of parametric EQ as well.

Reply #3
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
andres Offline

Thanks...
Can these AA3's mastering effects (like this 3 band EQ or the multiband compressor) be used as realtime effects for the single tracks in the multitrack view?
And, for these and other plugins in general, does AA3 have full delay compensation (that, it seems to be absent or not very good in AA1.5)?

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #4
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
Despised7 Offline
Administrator

IIEQ, and the LP10 (mastering eq) are very nice.

http://ddmf.eu/

Reply #5
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Can these AA3's mastering effects (like this 3 band EQ or the multiband compressor) be used as realtime effects for the single tracks in the multitrack view?

Yes...
And, for these and other plugins in general, does AA3 have full delay compensation (that, it seems to be absent or not very good in AA1.5)?

Yes again - there doesn't seem to be any sort of issue at all with delay compensation at all now - or failing that I'm missing something...

But with any real-time effect in MV you have to be aware of the following limitations: you can add effects to a channel and monitor them directly with a live input, but there will always be latency - the amount depends entirely on how fast your computer can handle the I/O requirements. The other important thing is that if you work like this, you will only record the track 'dry' - the effects you are using on it are monitoring effects only - as is good practice. This means that when you play any track you have recorded like this, the same in-line effects will be there unless you disable them, and they can still be adjusted 'after the event' if you like.

In order to record effects in a channel live, you require a soundcard with at least two pairs of inputs and outputs, and you feed the channel output from the effected channel (which in monitor mode will have the effects on) back to the second input, where you can record it.

As far as latency delay is concerned it's a bit of a pain, because it's not so easy to get it close enough to real time to fool, for instance, most singers. So if you want to add reverb to a singer's foldback using the software, then you have to be a bit sneaky about it - and that, fairly soon, is going to be the subject of a new FAQ.

Reply #6
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:47:57 PM »
andres Offline

thanks, I was talking of "delay compensation" during mixing, not recording...

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #7
« on: April 26, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

thanks, I was talking of "delay compensation" during mixing, not recording...

I know what you mean, but that's not real-time - real-time is what you do to a 'live' input, not a recording. Anyway, it's not an issue.

Reply #8
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
andres Offline

Does anyone know apEQ by apulSoft?
It seems to be what I'm looking for... does anyone know if it works fine with Audition 1.5?

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #9
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Does anyone know apEQ by apulSoft?
It seems to be what I'm looking for... does anyone know if it works fine with Audition 1.5?

It's too new - there aren't any reviews yet. But since this firm develops primarily for the steenking mac, I would be very inclined to try it first. Which is of course why there's a demo. So how about you trying the demo and report back?

Reply #10
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »
andres Offline

Tried, it works...
Anyway, it's not what I want, since you can't freely drag curves with mouse...

Going back to Audition's parametric EQ, is there a way to modify band's width (I mean Q) in Low Shelf and High Shelf?
The problem, in my opinion, is the difficulty to make precise adjustments with these two filters (especially the Low one),
because you can't modify the slope and the shape of their curves...

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Reply #11
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
richlepage Offline

The Cambridge EQ from UA is pretty good and we sometimes use it.  However, it requires
a UAD card (UAD 1 or UAD2, which are PCI and PCIe respectively, though there are also some
UAD 1 PCIe cards).  They have many other plugs that are quite good too- emulations of vintage hardware.
We use a lot of their stuff with AA quite often.     www.uaudio.com   

The Waves "linear"  EQ is also often useful (Platinum bundle, not sure if it is also in the gold bundle).
It's also quite good and we sometimes prefer it for overall mastering work, while the UA Cambridge
often finds itself used for stuff that needs some help to solve specific  problems.  www.waves.com

Waves also have several "paragraphic" EQs which have the kind of features you seem to want,
such as the Q10.

Both the UA and Waves products are a little pricey, however they come bundled with other stuff.

Another is Ozone which offers many useful features but can be rather CPU-intensive depending on
what you use in its suite of tools.  www.izotope.com    We run Ozone 3 but there is a recent
version 4 out now.

With all of the above EQs, you  get multiple bands, each of which you can select a center
frequency for and you can also vary the Q of each band and the type of curve you want - e.g. bell,
shelf, etc.

All seem to run reasonably well with AA 1.5, 2.x and 3.x.

Reply #12
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:47:40 PM »
jamesp Offline

Going back to Audition's parametric EQ, is there a way to modify band's width (I mean Q) in Low Shelf and High Shelf?
The problem, in my opinion, is the difficulty to make precise adjustments with these two filters (especially the Low one),
because you can't modify the slope and the shape of their curves...

I don't think you can change the Q in the low shelf and high shelf in Audition (but I've not used the EQ for a while so I could be wrong. However, if you need to modify the slope of a filter then maybe you should be using the Scientific Filters rather than the parametric EQ.

ReaEQ which is available separately from Reaper can change the slope characteristics of shelving bands. Look for the Reaplugs package at www.reaper.fm.

Cheers

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Audio Mastering, Duplication and Restoration
Reply #13
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »
ryclark Offline

You can select the Shelving filters to be 1st. or 2nd. order in AA 2/3. That's all.
Reply #14
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »
andres Offline

thank you to everyone!
I know very well Ozone 3's EQ, I like Ozone and the EQ is very nice... but as you say, being really CPU-intensive, it's not easy to use it as EQ in several tracks...
ReaEQ is really good, but it doesn't work well in AA 1.5 ; probabily it works fine in AA2/3...
In the end, I'll consider buying AA3, or wait for AA4...

Charcot - www.charcot.it
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: