AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:38:16 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition Wish List
| | |-+  A version for Mac (revisited)
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Topic: A version for Mac (revisited)  (Read 11858 times)
Reply #15
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:56:51 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

In the place where I work some of the time, there's one machine that only runs Linux, and that does storekeeping and some other office-related stuff. This is the machine that we tried VirtualBox on recently, so now it can run XP as well. In some ways, I'm not quite sure why we did this - apart from one machine required for programming purposes, XP has less and less to do in an office environment these days. Which means that shortly, it's coming off the other two machines as well.

I'm sure that there are still sound-related issues - I'm not convinced at all that these have been solved yet, and there is certainly a degree of 'geekiness' about installing and compiling stuff, and that needs looking at. So yes, Linux is coming on, is getting accepted into some working environments, and shows a lot of potential. And I'm absolutely convinced that having a couple of big-name apps running on it would improve its situation no end.

Reply #16
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »
Havoc Offline

I'd like to chime in a bit as I'm using linux exclusively the last 5 years or so. I only come here because of a lot of knowledgable people I learned to appreciate long ago.

Quote from: SteveG
I think that there would be a lot more market share to be had from a Linux version, myself. But that's not likely to happen either

You are right on both counts. CEP/AA on Linux would make a killing for several reasons. It isn't perceived as tied to a platform, it would bring audio restoration tools to linux (wich are non-exsistant) and it would come to an open market as there are no other commercial apps in that space at the moment. The last combined with a reasonable price point is hard to beat. The reason it will never happen is not the code, it is the hostility of Adobe towards linux. I rate Adobe the as the second most hostile company to linux (the first is Apple).

Quote from: pwhodges
Getting a Linux-based DAW going can be a highly frustrating process, especially if you want to use a firewire interface - the Mac is a much better starting place for an audio system based on *nix  (of course, a Mac and a Linux port would be much more closely related to each other than either to Windows, because of the underlying similarity of the operating systems).

Don't know when was the last time you tried linux but that must have been a long time. I wouldn't say installing and getting Linux to run is frustrating. Mostly it doesn't consist of more than shoving in a cd/dvd and boot the pc. Firewire is indeed a bit weak. At the moment it is getting a lot of attention from hardware manufacturers so it is a rapid changing field. The only missing name is RME. And there is no way you can get to Mac and then to Linux as the Mac has a very different audio layer that is -of course- not compatible. The other way round would work as Jack is ported to Mac.

Quote from: jamesp
When I last looked you needed to compile at least a couple of audio subsystems (Jack and something else??) before you could start to run audio applications on Linux. Audio certainly wasn't built-in to the standard operating system. If you want firewire you also have to compile FreeBob too. The Mac would appear to have all the necessary framework in place (like Windows has MME, WDM and DirectX) so all you need is the interface driver and application.

Same as above: audio in the form of ALSA is build into the kernel since a year or 5. And all up-to-date drivers come with the kernel in 32 and 64 bit (is there already a 64bit AA?). And you don't have to compile anything, your distro has done that for you. (unless you run Gentoo, then you choose to compile or if you want to run the lastest nightly release at your own risk) Most distros have Jack available pre-packaged a click away and with an audio-centered distro it will come out-of-the box and be configured right away. Maybe you'll have to experiment a bit, setting buffers to get the best latency but that was/is the same when you run AA/CEP. The advantage with linux is that if you have this done once, you don't have to do it for each application.

Firewire is a bit different as this uses indeed a different audio system (freebob or ffado) so it doesn't come with the kernel. However once that is running it is controlled by Jack and you don't notice anything of it. Only issue is it is a bit picky about firewire chipsets. But if I read around here I see just the same problems and solutions: use a TI chipset. Again no need to search for drivers for your chipset, everything comes in the kernel for whatever cpu or bitsize. Only disadvantage I see is that you use or firewire or pci/usb, you cannot use both at the same time (for audio).

Quote from: pwhodges
I still don't know anyone personally (and just one through the Internet) who uses Linux as a desktop

I do so myselve (2 dektops, 1 laptop and 1 netbook) and know plenty of people who do. But then I'm in electronic hardware and software development.

Quote from: gtrman79
I tried the Ubuntu studio.  I had no problems using the command console to get what I needed (apps, packages).  It was the compiling of packages that got out of hand.  I just could not get ALSA and JACK to work right.  I had to just give up.

You just gave away you don't have used it much (or at all). It would be very un-Ubuntu to have to compile something. It would be a feat and a lot of work to get it to boot in console. But Ubuntu Studio isn't the best audio distro either, it does get flak.

I'm not saying that everything audio is all shiny and rosy in linuxland. There are issues. But from what I see not more than anywhere else. Sure, there are chipset problems, unsupported hardware etc but you'll find that on each platform. There are a few things that are just great, like Jack or some apps like BruteFir. Those that scream hardest that Linux isn't ready just don't want to change or hang on to some piece of fetish hardware that isn't supported.

I still miss CEP but I don't see a reason to go back to the pain of windows or the jail of mac.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #17
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Okay then, what exactly would we have to do to get Audition running in Linux? Assuming that it could run in VirtualBox, is there any way that this could conceivably be made to talk to my MOTU traveler (with no visible linux driver in sight)... and what would be the best version of Linux anyway, if it's not Ubuntu?

Firewire is indeed a bit weak. At the moment it is getting a lot of attention from hardware manufacturers so it is a rapid changing field. The only missing name is RME.

Well that's odd - because it doesn't appear to take much research to show that it's RME that have produced the Linux drivers, and apparently MOTU appear to be 'quite snotty' (according to one source) about it, and won't provide any.

And even just to try this, it would have to be MOTU for me, because I don't have any other Firewire audio devices at all.

Reply #18
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:14:21 AM »
Havoc Offline

Okay then, what exactly would we have to do to get Audition running in Linux? Assuming that it could run in VirtualBox, is there any way that this could conceivably be made to talk to my MOTU traveler (with no visible linux driver in sight)... and what would be the best version of Linux anyway, if it's not Ubuntu?

No idea what you would need. I have run CEP 1.2 under wine and that went reasonably well, but I never got 1.2a to work (I fear a directX problem). VirtualBox might work but I don't know how this would handle firewire. If there is a demo of AA I could give it a try with a FA-66. As for an audio distro, you could give Planet CCRMA (mature) or Studio64 (rising star) a try. I must say I don't use those special distros as it is easier to get a "normal" distro do sound good enough for me than to get an audio distro running as a general desktop.

Well that's odd - because it doesn't appear to take much research to show that it's RME that have produced the Linux drivers, and apparently MOTU appear to be 'quite snotty' (according to one source) about it, and won't provide any.

There are RME drivers for all their products except the firewire ones. RME uses a proprietary protocol over the firewire and they don't want to cooperate. I checked ffado and now it is listed as "support planned", so some things may have changed but there isn't any more info either. And from a search on the ffado site I get the impression I'm not the only one that's surprised that RME would have changed its mind (but I'm not able to login to see more). This is the last I remember:

Quote from: from ffado news
Musikmess 2008: Before people start suggesting it, I'll even drop by at the RME stand, although I'm not going to be too persistent. They know the deal.
Full text at: http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/485

Same at the freebob site: http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices (at the bottom) And here: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-audio-dev@music.columbia.edu/msg15849.html

But things change...

EDIT: there seems to be a demo of AA but you have to register to get it. Or would my forum account from the time of the buy-out work with that?

Reply #19
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

EDIT: there seems to be a demo of AA but you have to register to get it. Or would my forum account from the time of the buy-out work with that?

I'm pretty sure that you'd need to re-register with Adobe. The demo version is complete, and will run for a month; for security reasons it can't be subsequently registered, either - you have to purchase either a download or boxed version that can be activated.

Reply #20
« on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:07 AM »
Havoc Offline

I'll give it a try. But it might take a few days before I get everything together.

EDIT: might take a bit longer, I just noticed it needs XP at least and I don't have that around. I stopped when W2K was the latest and greatest.

Reply #21
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:26:59 PM »
Havoc Offline

I fear someone else will have to try this. It appeared I already had an account since 2004 (?), after resetting my password and having to give an address etc (why? are they going to send my download through the mail?) they don't let me download the AA3 trial because I don't fit their requirements. They don't seem to get that maybe you don't run an app fromthe pc you download it. Bunch of retarded idiots.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: