AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 04:08:47 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit 96, 2000, 1.2a
| | | |-+  "device id out of range" message
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: "device id out of range" message  (Read 4197 times)
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
billy5 Offline

Help please!  Ran CE2k for years on xp and my machine died.  Loaded it on a machine running Vista 32 bit, set it up to run as administrator and run as XP.  I can create a new wave form, but when I click the record button it pops up a message saying the device id is out of range.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do?
Reply #1
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
Eric Snodgrass Offline

Upgrade. 

Eric Snodgrass
Reply #2
« on: March 23, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »
Wildduck Offline

Eric is probably right. But does he mean upgrade to AA3 or upgrade Vista to XP?

However, I have intermittently tested CE2k on Vista 32 bit and it often works fine. On one occasion where I had problems with it saying the audio device was already in use, killing Roxwatch, which I believe is part of a Roxio " Cd + lots of other things I don't want" application seemed to cure it. I just run it under Vista without anything like "run as XP", and just running under the default administrator username, not specifically running as administrator.

It doesn't seem to remember file locations too well, maybe because Vista denies access to some directories? The graphics are also a bit erratic, but recording, editing and playback seem usually to be OK.

The error message you quote is usually the result of not being granted access to the correct soundcard. In many Vista machines, the input detection on the jacks really messes up recording device allocation.
Reply #3
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
tomdavi Offline

Ah thats cos windows dont like you recording from the main stereo bus! Had same problem but if you call up the recording pane from the speker icon on taskbar then right click on the blank white space, it identifies disabled devices and asks you if you want to ewnabel them - say yes and your stereo bus is now available in the volume control pane ! Hotcha

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: