AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
May 21, 2010, 02:00:20 AM
70512 Posts in 7368 Topics by 2192 Members
Latest Member: lipu
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  looking for the filter power supply or receptacle
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: looking for the filter power supply or receptacle  (Read 1664 times)
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:27:03 AM »
auchain Offline

Months ago, I saw a filter power supply in a shop. The salesman told me that it's a filter power supply, actually I don't know what it is. It just like a common electrical outlet or a receptacle. But the sound seems different when the amplifier connect to it. Is anybody know this power supply?
Reply #1
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:53:19 AM »
runaway Offline

I suspect that if you read this thread (from about post #10) http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/index.php/topic,4856.0.html it might be a little enlightening  grin

Reply #2
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 110

Filtering of the mains supply in most cases is useless. In no case does it improve "sound quality". Under rare circumstnces, when controlled rectifiers or dimmers cause audible interference in the sound equipment, it makes sense to use a filter between the wall outlet and the computer or other equipment. Such filters are commercially available. An easy way to make one yourself is to use a filter such as is to be found in a wrecked washing machine.
Reply #3
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:13:30 AM »
auchain Offline

Filtering of the mains supply in most cases is useless. In no case does it improve "sound quality". Under rare circumstnces, when controlled rectifiers or dimmers cause audible interference in the sound equipment, it makes sense to use a filter between the wall outlet and the computer or other equipment. Such filters are commercially available. An easy way to make one yourself is to use a filter such as is to be found in a wrecked washing machine.
But someone seems to make these mains supply professionally - PS Audiohttp://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/list/category/power/, Yakarshttp://www.yakars.com/
I should learn more about it.
Reply #4
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:31:49 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I should learn more about it.

Absolutely everything you need to know is either in this thread, or the one it refers to. As far as 'improving the sound' goes, it's a complete con designed to part you from your money by breeding insecurity about what you think you might be missing.

Reply #5
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:03 AM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

"Only the Noise Harvester removes line noise and converts it to another form of energy, light! "

"Enhance the stereoscopic effect of music"

etc., etc.

What utter nonsense!!! 

Does the term 'snake oil' mean anything to you?

Reply #6
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
Havoc Offline

Loved reading that thread back after a depressing week at work. Anyone got something new to add?

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #7
« on: February 03, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »
Bert Offline
Never too old to do new things Posts: 110

Loved reading that thread back after a depressing week at work. Anyone got something new to add?

Oh yes ! It remembers me to some people selling filters to separate "atomic generated power" from "green power" at the power outlet of your home.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: