AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 10, 2008, 08:00:59 AM
65769 Posts in 6648 Topics by 2518 Members
Latest Member: gauravmarwaha
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  A paper record?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: A paper record?  (Read 256 times)
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
zemlin Offline

Today I was handed what I believe is a 1-off disk from 1943.  I was surprised by how light it is.  Upon closer examination, it appears to have a paperboard core with plastic laminated on either side.  The surface is badly cracked, and the cracks follow along the grooves in many places.  I don't think it's going to be playable.

I'm certainly not going to do any wet cleaning of this disk!  A light dust brush is all I dare use on it.

Has anyone else out there ever encountered a paper record?

Reply #1
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »
Havoc Offline

I have seen those. Even a postcard like that. But not that old. Often advertisement material.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #2
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:57 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Upon closer examination, it appears to have a paperboard core with plastic laminated on either side.  The surface is badly cracked, and the cracks follow along the grooves in many places. 

On the face of it, considering the age and description, and (you might laugh about this) this sounds like one of the supposedly 'unbreakable' records that were actually produced from about 1904 onwards. I've never seen one, but the construction of them appears to be celluloid on a pasteboard base. Vinyl was introduced as a medium in about 1940, so yours would be quite a late example - if this is indeed what it is.

Apparently they suffered from appalling surface noise problems even when they were new, so don't expect miracles.

Reply #3
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:57:49 PM »
zemlin Offline

... so don't expect miracles.
Actually, I'm expecting more of a disaster.

edit ... I just tried playing it.  no go.  It can't make it around 1 full rev without skipping a groove either forward or back.  This is a recording of a friend's father - I'm afraid it's gone forever.

Here's what the label looks like
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360066979620
The words on either side of the off-center hole say "Slow Burning".

I'm pretty sure the core is some sort of laminated paper.

Reply #4
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
Havoc Offline

What if you slow down the playback?

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #5
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
zemlin Offline

I tried it first at 33.  It's really in bad shape.  I was concerned enough about this record even surviving the playback process that I was recording when I first put the needle on it.  I didn't want to have to try it twice in the unlikely event that it worked.

Plus, the audio level is so low on this recording, it's barely audible above the noise.

Reply #6
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
jshaw Offline

Wow, I remember these types of records as inserts in magazines, mailers and handouts at department stores. Plus you could one made at amusement parks. It's hard to imagine that they are still around in any shape.

Voice overs for all occasions.
http://www.shawvo.com
Reply #7
« on: October 09, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Wow, I remember these types of records as inserts in magazines, mailers and handouts at department stores.

I remember a well-known cereal manufacturer who printed one of these on the back of the box!!

I wouldn't take one on as a restoration project, though.

Reply #8
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
zemlin Offline

What I was given LOOKS Like a real record.  It isn't flimsy or thin.  It's just very lightweight.  The plastic has delaminated slightly around the edges and from what's been exposed and some damage on the edge of the disc the core appears to be laminated paper.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: