AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 09:30:30 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit Pro 2 Super Expert Needed!
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Cool Edit Pro 2 Super Expert Needed!  (Read 6850 times)
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:09:57 AM »
gkaywood Offline

I THINK I have some strange type of configuration problem that is preventing SOME audio from being fed into Cool Edit Pro 2 for recording.

My setup, on a reliable XP Pro system, incorporates a stand-alone mixer, the output of which feeds 5 channels of audio input to the program without problem.  The problem occurs when I try to play an audio file or a CD on the computer and record it for editing into CEP2.

Why do I need an expert?

Because I am using TWO audio boards, the one that came with the computer and the greatly more sophisticated M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (which uses its own control panel to route audio), and I also have Total Recorder installed. My impression is that that program affects the routing of the audio, but I can't understand if and how it might.

I've tried juggling the Wave In and Wave Out properties in CEP2's Device Settings, but that doesn't seem to have any effect at all.

And I have tried to configure these elements in various ways, but have now reached my own personal level of incompetance, which leads me to beg for help here in AudioMasters.

I'm guessing that a solution will involve more than a simple exchange here on the forum, and probably some screenshots as well.

If you can help me solve this problem, I'll summarize the story and post it here for all to see and for any other hardcore CEP ysers who might encounter the same or simiilar grief.

It does occur to me as I write this that maybe (he said with great hope) I'm missing some idiotically small nuance that will take care of everything....

Shoot me an email if you think you can help.

Thanks for your time and attention.
Reply #1
« on: September 06, 2008, 05:34:36 AM »
Bobbsy Offline

Actually, if my guess is right the issue isn't in CEP at all.

Reading between the lines, I assume you're using the computer's built in audio card to route the audio file or CD into Cool Edit.  If so, CEP doesn't have control over this routing.  You will likely need to set the dreaded "Windows Mixer" (or, possibly, a software mixer that come with the basic card).  Every set up is slightly different but basically you open the mixer, select the "Record" side and then pick the proper input for your recording.  USUALLY this involves putting a tick in the proper box, as opposed to the playback side where a tick mutes that channel.

Obvously you'll have to have the proper audio card selected in CEP but it sounds like you're on top of this side of things.

A couple of other points:  first, I don't know if you're trying to use both audio cards at the same time but, if so, you will almost certainly have sync problems with drift occuring as your files get longer.

Second, for CDs, I'd suggest you use a "ripper" rather than recording them as real time audio.  Later version of Auditiion have a ripper built in but with CEP you could try "Exact Audio Copy" (it'll turn up on any Google search).  An excellent ripper and it's free.  This will avoid an unnecessary D to A to D conversion.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Good sound is the absence of bad sound.
Reply #2
« on: September 06, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
Amrad Offline

Hello Bob,

Second, for CDs, I'd suggest you use a "ripper" rather than recording them as real time audio.  Later version of Auditiion have a ripper built in but with CEP you could try "Exact Audio Copy" (it'll turn up on any Google search).  An excellent ripper and it's free.  This will avoid an unnecessary D to A to D conversion.

Actually, CEP 2 has "Extract audio from CD" under "File."

Regards,

Dave.
Reply #3
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
Bobbsy Offline

Must be my memory going.  I could have sworn CEP2 was the release which didn't have a ripper as standard but let you download a Beta version...which then disappeared again when CEP2.0 became Audition 1.0.

If I was wrong, apologies!

Bob

Reply #4
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I could have sworn CEP2 was the release which didn't have a ripper as standard but let you download a Beta version...which then disappeared again when CEP2.0 became Audition 1.0.

I don't have it on this machine to check, but I thought that it was the ability to write CDs that was removed by Adobe when AA1.0 was released - simply because the CD-writing app was beta software, and Adobe had a policy of not releasing beta software on a release version. FWIW, I thought that the ripper was treated differently but there again, I could be recalling this incorrectly too...  rolleyes

Reply #5
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »
Bobbsy Offline

No, I think you have the right of it--it rings a bell that it was the CD writer, not ripper, that was the Beta with CEP 2.0.  (It all seems so long ago!)  I'm hampered to this day by the fact that even now I'll often use EAC for ripping even though there's now definitely one in AA.  Creature of habit and all that.

Bob

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: