AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 04:26:18 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Previous Versions
| | |-+  Cool Edit 96, 2000, 1.2a
| | | |-+  Deleting Temporary Files
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Deleting Temporary Files  (Read 4336 times)
« on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:24 PM »
RNeff Offline

Hey Steve, I'm back again after having been unable to log in for almost a year.  At any rate, the problem with temporary files persists.  I noticed one thing that completely took me by surprise - after closing CE2k and deleting the numerous temporary files, when I restart CE2k, ALL of the temp files are immediately reinstalled!  I am by no means a computer guru, I feel proud of myself successfully booting this boar anchor that passes for a computer.  During my year long abstinence, has anyone offered a solution to the temp file problem?  I noticed that my original post received over 2000 "hits."  Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that the software is the "2k" version...

I started life with nothing.  I have most of it left.
Reply #1
« on: August 23, 2008, 02:39:07 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that this has something to do with what Vista is actually prepared to let happen within the OS in terms of deleting files either at shutdown, or as programs are closed. On proper operating systems, any legitimate attempt to delete temporary files would be allowed as a program request, but I have no confidence about this with Vista at all. Maybe a Vista user could comment?

It may be, of course, that the way permissions are handled are different - but under normal circumstances CE2k should delete its temp files on closedown. Some people used to take advantage of the fact that if you just stopped the machine, the temp files wouldn't be deleted, and used this mechanism to avoid having long save times at the end of extended recordings, doing their saves from the session restoration feature that kicked in when you re-opened. That was always a jump too far as far as I'm concerned, but apparently it worked...

But other than that, unless you make extraordinary provision for saving temp files elsewhere whilst the prog's still open, they should be deleted at the end of your CE2k session.

Reply #2
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
Wildduck Offline

In normal circumstances, I'd have tried this on 32-bit Vista, but the heating here went bang and the European Union has apparently decreed that we have to move the boiler. This means we have to alter all the pipework, lift floorboards and, most horrifically, tidy up.

I was about to try CE2k on a Vista machine for a friend, so anything specific you can pass on would be invaluable. If I had had some success the next plan was to increase the memory on a machine, then try running CE2K on older versions of Windows in a Virtual Machine on Vista.

And I spent an afternoon last week with someone who professes to be an expert with Vista, asking him why I kept getting "permission" errors when trying to network XP and Vista together. In the end he seemed to agree it shouldn't be like that and just said it would be easier to use a memory stick. I knew that before we started.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: