AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:45:53 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition Wish List
| | |-+  Changes in v3 that cause immediate consternation?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Changes in v3 that cause immediate consternation?  (Read 6190 times)
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:42:16 AM »
oretez Offline

What?  No, 'What bugs you most about AA v3' sticky?

bit the bullet and picked up first V3 license.  Bought full retail partially because as much as I don't want 'Vista' at some point I might have to change and wanted a license not tied to CE upgrades (even I don't think that, that explanation makes complete sense but full story is even less interesting)

Up until the instant I purchased it I was not 'sure' I was going to . . . it was budgeted last fall, but I need to pick up a baritone guitar that was not budgeted . . . so have been on the fence.  I did not really see that V3 added anything I had to have, did not think it was going to significantly improve through put . . . but.  In any case I went to check on V3 on the Adobe web site and was immediately unimpressed with depth of information concerning the product . . . if I had not already had long experience with both Adobe and the application that became AA v3 I probably would have passed on by . . .  the readily available info was that uninspired (including their little video's)

but one of the things the little video's did suggest was something I'm not currently doing: using color to help organize a project more efficiently . . . I've used different colors in more limited ways but some of what occurred to me would comprise a large change in how info was organized . .   if I was going to install AA v3 anyway, time to do it was prior to making the colors change . . . particularly considering difficulty importing 1.5 sessions into 3

And, I've pretty much just finished the last of the MySpace type edits from SxSW, have a new project starting next week (which I wont track with AA) the stars were aligned

Immediate initial response is fairly neutral . . . which in a weird way is about as positive as I'd ever expect to be . . . the handful of things I've done so far can be executed in a way that is close enough to how I use AA to not completely piss me off . . . pretty near to high praise

Several of the things for which I was regularly 'shelling out' to a VST engine can now not only be executed from with in AA, but in several cases include minimum functionality from functions that are part of the program (frequency space editing) meaning I will not have to default to 3rd party plug in . . . it's way too soon to tell how much this might improve productivity . . . but I sat up until 3:30 AM working on deep catalog stuff (stuff I might never get around to playing with) just to explore the through put . . . and remain conservatively not pissed off . . . high praise indeed

But!  there are inevitable 'gotchas'  . . . the already mentioned V2 'bug' concerning inability of highlight play to end of file (which almost offsets pre/post roll benefit) was a bigger irritation then I thought it was going to be.  I use FFT filters with enough frequency that losing the Ctrl 't', 'f', 'f'. a part of muscle memory.  The fact that it now defaults for some hair brained obscene reason to refreshing VST list is, @ 2 AM, reason to put a contract out on someone

That [Cntrl] + 'A' no longer take you to save as but save all is a f(*&&^&# blunder worthy, not of a 'contract' but for me to hunt someone down and bludgeon them personally . . . who in the world could have possibly thought that, that was 'good' idea

Have not tested performance in terms of # of tracks and Fx my systems will support, but considering my systems are granddads means that this is not a primary concern but initially multi track grouping and routing didn't appear to be a source of violence . . .  I find Adobe's instructions concerning automation to be unintelligible . . . but moving from any protocol to the next is always a steep curve, how quick I hack that curve will probably be a significant variable in how many and how fast I upgrade any of my existing licenses to v3 . . . lack of automation was one of CEP 2 complaints

but currently my biggest problem, which is huge enough that I might be compelled to attempt to ask about it specifically, is that preview in every destructive edit process explored causes the (though not every instance) program to lock up.  I preview, make changes, preview, make changes, stop preview hit 'OK' . . . the process dialog box disappears and system focus shifts to previous (to AA) window, i.e. if I copied a wave to AA from Windows explorer then the explorer window becomes current, if I opened AA from desk top and only have AA open then focus returns to desktop.  AA remains grey'd out and I can not recover focus . .  . it is using no CPU cycles nor RAM, shows no error code but is essentially dead in the water and I have to shut it down from Task Manager.  This behavior occurs with every destructive edit process I've tried.  It always requires that I preview the edit.  If I don't preview this has never occurred, but it does not occur every time I preview.  Bit depth, sample rate, size of file, whether it is applied to a portion or to the entire file, how many files are open (in AA) seem to be immaterial.  I was never not able to apply edit after re-loading app, nor did previewing same edit on same file, the second time, guarantee that system would lock up

Admittedly if I were not already a fan of CEP (to AA) this behavior would be completely unacceptable.  I am not [thought i caught this prior to post so double error, anyway 'not' saying it's fault of program][ saying I think this is the 'fault' of the app . . . I am comfortable with idea that it is system/app interaction that is causing problem, but if I don't get it resolved it is unlikely I'll acquire any upgrade licenses, or upgrade the new license in the future . . . in addition I anticipate '0' (or less) assistance from Adobe directly (as I said I have long experience with Adobe) in resolving the issue . . . it is a testament as to how valuable I found CE to be, how valuable that: CE2K, AA v1, AA v1.5 still are that I am even willing to work on this, which I do solely with the belief that V3 will have unique value not expressed by CE2K, AA v1 & 1.5

anyway . . . what bugs me most: that AA is now being referred to as AU!
Reply #1
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

In terms of keyboard shortcuts, you may get on better with the 'retro' option as a starting point - the 1.5 set is available in the shortcuts area. Okay, Adobe altering the ones you are used to is a pain, but at least you can create your own set, and you should only have to do it once...

And even though some misguided souls are referring to 'Au', I'm not - and since I can't see any reason to change this, I'm not going to. As you have already alluded, there's quite enough 'change for change's sake' already, and I'm not about to add to it.

What?  No, 'What bugs you most about AA v3' sticky?

No, not yet. This has to wait for at least a realistic chance of something happening about it before it's worth doing. Since we haven't had the bug fixes for what's already there and been notified to Adobe yet, there isn't much point in asking people to comment on what they want altered, because unless they are constantly nagged (and not working on SoundBooth), the developers are likely to forget. But when the time is right, there'll be one - don't worry.

Reply #2
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:05:50 AM »
oretez Offline

thanks for pointer to using 'earlier' formats . . . figured that was probably possible . . . wonder if I can easily set it up to work both with older layouts and the 'new'

mostly just musing out loud . . . learning ins/outs of new apps frequently helps change the way I think about how I do things (like possibility that more dynamic and aggressive use of color might be useful) . .. so don't necessarily want to remain dependent on 'old school' . . . but lost one edit (which was not disastrous as it was simply an intermediate safety save) from the [Cntrl] + 'A', needed to save with new name . . . if it had been first safety save I still would not have been f*&^%d (since 'raw' was already backed up) but it was still irritating to make the mistake after I already knew about the change

Only 24 hr in, have lots of at the very least minor 'irks' but surprisingly far less 'restless' with differences from what I know then I was with V2 immediately after install . . . (as irrational as it is, to this day I think temporary install of V2 screwed up performance of V1 & 1.5.  Even though I had decided that I needed to check out the software for more then just the 'trial' (which meant purchase) I was not looking forward to it

now if I can just get earlier versions back to some semblance of stability I'm almost looking forward to seeing what the new version can do
Reply #3
« on: April 25, 2008, 09:07:44 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

...as irrational as it is, to this day I think temporary install of V2 screwed up performance of V1 & 1.5. 

Actually that's not entirely irrational at all. I know of several installations of AA3.0 which have screwed with AA2.0 - to the point of having to reinstall it. One of those was on one of my machines...

But it's never screwed 1.5 over, as far as I'm aware.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: