AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 02:23:54 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5
| | |-+  Utility to Cleanup those Unused Audition Media Files!
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Utility to Cleanup those Unused Audition Media Files!  (Read 25856 times)
Reply #15
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »
runaway Offline

Thanks for the feedback.  Most people don't realise just how much space can be reclaimed.

Mind you I would rather have all my takes saved during the session (just in case) and then decide after I've finished my project to delete the unused files.

Additionally, with this app you can verify that you haven't saved a file or mix etc somewhere other than where it should be.

Reply #16
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
MarkT

The only thing that confuses me a bit is that the "other" files list sometimes shows .pk files with the same name as the valid session wav files. Other times it dowsn't. I was assuming the app matches wavs and pks and just lists the wavs - isn't that correct?

Mark
Reply #17
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:33:20 PM »
runaway Offline

I was assuming the app matches wavs and pks and just lists the wavs - isn't that correct?

Far from it.

Assuming you have a single session file selected the app determines from that session file all of the media files (eg wav, mp3, avi, ogg, etc etc) that are used by that session file.  It lists those used files and their full path as indicated by the session file and it indicates if those 'used' files can be located.  This is useful if you have accidentally saved a file somewhere other than you thought you did.

The unused files are all other files in the folder containing the session file (and the _recorded folder if it exists).
Note the use of the "Exclude files" option to set up your own specific files that you don't want accidentally moved (eg *.doc, * Mix.wav, *.pk, etc etc)

The 'Ignore Leading Folder names..." option is handy if the session file (or all session files) have been moved to another location.

This differs slightly if the "Check All SES files" option is selected then all session files in the folder are examined and the unused files are those files that aren't used by any of the session files.

The real benefits of the app apart from the obvious disk space savings (which can be substantial) are that you can readily see what files are used by the session and if they can be located as well as the ability to easily backup with confidence all the used files.  The multiple session file option (which was suggested by one user) is just another benefit.

To do this manually and without error - forget it I've tried it smiley

Reply #18
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:04:23 AM »
MarkT

OK that explain how it actually works - and that is fine. My question now is - doesn't the .ses file identify .pk files as well as all the other media files? It doesn't matter- it just seems odd as they are quite an integral part of how AA works.
Reply #19
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
runaway Offline

No the .pk files are not part of the session.  AA creates them and if they don't exist it will recreate them next time the session is opened.

So you don't need to store them. 

Mind you you can have MediaSweeper NOT move them by using the "Exclude files" option.

I think the .pk files stores the visual wav component (but don't quote me on that one).

the "other" files list sometimes shows .pk files with the same name as the valid session wav files. Other times it dowsn't

If the pk files exist in the folder containing the session file then they should always show up in the 'Other' files list (because they are never included/referenced in the session).

Reply #20
« on: July 27, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »
Ericson Offline

I think the .pk files stores the visual wav component (but don't quote me on that one).

From AA3 help:
Peak Files Specifies options for peak (.pk) files, in which Adobe Audition stores information about how to display WAV files. Peak files make file opening almost instantaneous by greatly reducing the time it takes to draw the waveform (especially with larger files).

Anything that speeds up opening a session is welcomed by me.  smiley
Reply #21
« on: July 27, 2008, 04:22:22 PM »
runaway Offline

Anything that speeds up opening a session is welcomed by me

I think we can all agree with that statement. 

On a 16 track session which loads (with pk files) in about 15 sec and about 25-30 secs (without pk files) I'm not sure if that is an issue when it comes to archiving these files.

I certainly wouldn't advocate deleting the pk files just for the fun of it and especially if you are still in an active project.  However, I really didn't overtly consider them as they are easily regenerated.  As I mentioned earlier you can set up options within the utility to exclude .pk files from being targeted for removal.

If this is an issue worth addressing I would be more than happy to look at further enhancements to the utility I'm just not sure if its really that necessary.

Open to suggestions.

PS I have found that certain VSTs significantly add to AAs load time.

Reply #22
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:21:07 PM »
Ericson Offline

On a 16 track session which loads (with pk files) in about 15 sec and about 25-30 secs (without pk files) I'm not sure if that is an issue when it comes to archiving these files.

I just checked a 17 track session I work on, where the wavs make 663 MB, and the pk-files just 2.3MB. The option to not delete the pk-files in Mediasweeper seems very nifty, as their size in this case iis only about 0.35% of the wavs.
Reply #23
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
MarkT

As there is an option to create .pk files or not in AA, it might be an idea to have a simple check box for "include .pk files". I know there is the filter, but I regularly work on songs with 12-20 tracks with large wav files and regenerating the .pks is a considerable time waster. For me it makes more sense to have it as a configuration choice. Just my €1 worth (cents aren't worth much anymore  grin).
Reply #24
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
runaway Offline

For me it makes more sense to have it as a configuration choice

Not a problem.  I have almost finished the program modification (see attached screen dump).

This is the thing about designing software (AA included) the developer and (in this case very small number of) beta testers have a particular mind set and a view of the world.  The more users that get involved all tend to bring their way of working or view to the table and this is not a bad thing especially if things can be added as options.

As they say in the carneys every ticket gets a chance and every winner gets a prize  grin

Just finalising the testing and will let you know as soon as it is available.

Thanks for your support i will wear it always  grin

Reply #25
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

This is the thing about designing software (AA included) the developer and (in this case very small number of) beta testers have a particular mind set and a view of the world.  The more users that get involved all tend to bring their way of working or view to the table and this is not a bad thing especially if things can be added as options.

Adobe have been well aware of this for years, and deliberately choose the beta pool from a wide range of users and experience - but that's not usually the issue. The issue in Adobe's case is that you are trying to drag a very large tiger around by the tail, and this is difficult, especially when it has already decided where it's going; you have to be pretty damn persuasive to convince it that there might be another way... and I have to say that this is a whole lot easier with much smaller development teams. That's the real, considerable, difference between the way that say, you and Reaper can develop stuff, and Adobe does.

Adobe quite reasonably takes the view that development is alpha testing, not beta testing, and strictly speaking, they are quite correct about this, aren't they? And that's why getting things altered with them is often such a struggle, I think.

Reply #26
« on: July 30, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »
runaway Offline

Well , I guess it's a good thing that we at least have these 2 forums to air our views.  It would, however, be better if it was before the event rather than a reaction after the event

Reply #27
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »
MarkT

Impressive response time there fella! I look forward to trying it out

Cheers!
Reply #28
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »
runaway Offline

It was a bit trickier than expected but it's done  cool

It seems that (and I'm happy to be corrected) AA only creates PK files for 16 or 32 bit wav files.

So in the absence of any other info the utility only checks wav files for corresponding PK files.

It all seems to work - give it a go and let me know how it goes  grin

http://www.suitespotstudios.com/MediaSweeper.htm

Reply #29
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
ryclark Offline

Yes that is correct, 16 or 32 bit only.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: