AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 09, 2008, 08:16:27 PM
63330 Posts in 6305 Topics by 2251 Members
Latest Member: CHURCH-AUDIO
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Synching Audio to Video
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Synching Audio to Video  (Read 138 times)
« on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
FunDog Offline

I've got a 24-bit, 48 kHz wav format file that someone wants cleaned up, then they want to take the track back and synch it to video.

Does anyone know how to record or add time code.  This is not my area of expertise.  Anyone know what to do or what direction to
point me in?

Thanks,

FD
Reply #1
« on: February 01, 2008, 08:43:09 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

The answer to your question is wholly determined by what format the video is in.  If it's in the form of a digital file (e.g. DVD, or a DV stream capture), it's easy, because a time base is already defined by the finiteness of the files or a time stamps they contain, and you just lay the audio back into the file or create a companion file to be muxed later.  Sounds like you wouldn't be asking if it were this easy.

So digital or analog tape is a completely different animal, and requires Audition to achieve machine sync to do this right.  Computer + video hardware = challenges.

Some details please! 
Reply #2
« on: February 02, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »
ryclark Offline

In order to be able to preserve sync it is a requirement that the audio and video/timecode were all recorded at the same time driven from the same sync source. Normally this would be 48K wordclock for the audio derived from the video sync signal. And then the same applies when the audio is laid back onto the video. And the restoration must preserve exactly the same number of samples at the end of the process as at the beginning. You cannot delete anything inside the audio file.

Reply #3
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Well, I assumed that FunDog's file originated from a video file.  If I'm wrong, well, yes, the sync problems could be legion.  But not necessarily.  I've already had un-locked DV audio lose sync with picture and nothing in the world could bring it back without a lot of spicing, or a complete resampling (which is what I chose, quick and accurate).  The worst sync problem I ever created was messing up the cascading connections between Tascam DTRS machines so that I ended up having two different time bases across the machines and had to edit in Audition like mad to correct the drift.  After that display of incompetence (nicely covered up), I decided that if you have sufficient motivation (and time), you can make anything sync to anything.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: