AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 15, 2007, 03:32:29 AM
62183 Posts in 6157 Topics by 2114 Members
Latest Member: Streethawk
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0 & 3.0
| | |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0
| | | |-+  Very low audio level on Google Video after second digital compression
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Very low audio level on Google Video after second digital compression  (Read 94 times)
« on: November 11, 2007, 01:36:35 PM »
electron Offline

Hello,

I'm new to the audio editing and have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I have posted some divx videos on Google Video with audio tracks having mp3, 192 kbps, 48 khz, 16 bit compression. After Google Video compression to their .flv format, audio quality is still good.
Now, my problem is that I have a .wmv video and its audio track is 40 kbps, 32 khz, 16 bit. After uploding to Google Video the audio track was completely ruined and the audio level was barely audible. I have imported .wmv audio track to Audition, applied 48 khz, 16 bit upsampling and about 6 db hard-limiting. Then I made a divx video with mp3, 192 kbps, 48 khz, 16 bit audio track. After uploading to Google Video the problem was the same: the audio track was completely ruined and the audio level was barely audible.
How can I make the 40 kbps, 32 khz, 16 bit audio track sound acceptable on Google Video? I'm using Adobe Audition 2. Thank you for any help! smiley
Reply #1
« on: November 11, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Is your source track stereo, and after Google is done with it, is it mono?  This sounds like predominantly out-of-phase sound that cancels out when combined to mono.

I suppose you could dump one of the channels and submit as mono and see if that helps.
Reply #2
« on: November 12, 2007, 12:01:21 AM »
electron Offline

Is your source track stereo, and after Google is done with it, is it mono?  This sounds like predominantly out-of-phase sound that cancels out when combined to mono.

I suppose you could dump one of the channels and submit as mono and see if that helps.

He he, yes, that was exactly my problem and the solution to it.  smiley
I should have asked it one week ago!  grin Today I have found your post after I did it myself. Indeed, the stereo audio track was out-of-phase. The left and right waveforms looked like mirrored. So I have used only one channel and problem solved! Thank you very much!
Reply #3
« on: November 12, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Glad that was it, and too bad everything isn't that simple!

When the source was recorded, what might have made the audio so perfectly out of phase?  That seems pretty unusual.
Reply #4
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

When the source was recorded, what might have made the audio so perfectly out of phase?  That seems pretty unusual.

Seems pretty simple though.  For example, an unitentional reverse of phase could easily be achieved by an incorrectly wired connector somewhere in the chain.

More importantly, it's easy to restore the track to its correct state by simply reversing the phase of one channel (using CEP/AA, of course Smiley ).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: