AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 01:05:08 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Changing the Cheap Tracks name
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Changing the Cheap Tracks name  (Read 16004 times)
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:30:19 PM »
zemlin Offline

I started Cheap Tracks before I knew what I was doing.  I was confident that I could do adequate work, but didn't realize that I'd be doing the level of work or have the level of gear that I now have.  I've grown self-conscious of the name Cheap Tracks and fear that some respectable clients are turned off by thought of having Cheap Tracks record their performances.

I also want to change my marketing approach to differentiate my self from some bozo with a microphone.

Here's a rough take on my proposed marketing angle: 
Anyone can buy a camera and snap a picture, but a talented photographer knows how to use lighting, lenses, camera angle and editing techniques to create a memorable image.  A painting is also a unique representation of a visual image or idea, and no two painters will capture a scene in the same way.

Recording is the same sort of thing, where sound, acoustics, microphones, and mixing techniques capture an audio experience.  Anyone can stick a microphone in a room and make a recording.  The term "Recording Artist" usually refers to the person in front of the microphone, but the person selecting and placing the microphones, capturing the sound, and mixing it to make a memorable recording is like an artist painting with audio.  No two people will capture a performance in the same way.

Selecting a name these days involves finding one with an available web domain - not an easy task!  What I've settled on is

Sonic Artistry

www.sonicartistry.net and .org were both available - .com is registered, but inactive.  I wasted $19 to backorder the .com if it ever comes up available.

Besides the domain registrations, I've done nothing to officially move in this direction.  I'd like to know what you folks think of the name change.

Thanks.
(thanks for the help with the poll, Steve)

Reply #1
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:21:50 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Well, having sorted out that there's a poll at all, wink my initial reaction (even before I read what the options were going to be) was that I think that you should use both names - certainly for the time being, and split the type of work you are doing between them. That way you can at a bare minimum run a smooth changeover between the types of service you could offer. And that isn't a poll option - unless I add it... evil

I suppose that what's behind this is the thinking that even though it isn't necessarily particularly cheap, people still like to think in one of two ways - that either they are getting something of a bargain, or that they are getting the best they can buy by going for an up-market product/service. If you keep both names (and don't make it particularly clear that the services are in any way related), then I think that you stand a chance of capturing both ends of the market, and also don't potentially alienate existing customers who are liable to think that all of a sudden, you are going to charge them a lot more.

Unless you don't want to do the cheap stuff any more of course... ( I could identify with that feeling somewhat!)

Reply #2
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:15:22 AM »
zemlin Offline

I have no intention of killing Cheap Tracks - at least not right away.  I hadn't really thought about a double identity though.  That's a valid option, and while I'd LIKE to think I could just record the good stuff, I don't get enough of that - I need the cheap work to keep me going.

You can add the option for both - that's a valid answer.

Reply #3
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:09:47 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

You can add the option for both - that's a valid answer.
I did that - and even put a vote in it!

Reply #4
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:24:50 PM »
Aim Day Co Offline

Some people will like Cheap Tracks for what it is and Sonic Artistry sounds very up market so I think go with both and see how it pans out. (Pun intended, which isn't a bad name for a band grin) afro

Reply #5
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »
Cal Offline

We all know image is (almost) everything, and at the first encounter it could mean nearly 100%.  It's what makes people respond in certain ways, or decide not to respond at all.  We know Cheap Tracks doesn't do things "on the cheap", but others don't.  Those  that might care about that would probably pass you over and keep looking for someone with some.... artistry in their work.  Since you need to appeal to all levels of interest, and given that you've chosen to use names that aesthetically and somewhat emotionally describe your business, as opposed to something business-like: "Zemlin's House of Audio", I'd recommend developing both names.  They'll draw different clientele.

Reply #6
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »
hornet777 Offline

Sonique Artistique

Count Zemlin's 3D House of Audio (cheeky)

After all has been invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?
Reply #7
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »
zemlin Offline

If I were going for cheeky, I think I'd use

CD Character

Reply #8
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »
zemlin Offline

Things are starting to take shape.
I made my first pass at a new logo today.

Plus, I have an idea on how to have my two identities coexist.  I will start doing business under the name Sonic Artistry, and Cheap Tracks will be a service I offer to help musicians or groups record when they have severe budget limitations.  That way I don't need to think about when to "change hats".  I appreciate your input folks - it was very helpful and made a difference.

Reply #9
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:53:10 AM »
blurk Offline

Nice logo there.  I don't think I could design a logo to save myself.  But that's an elegant looking font, and nice work with the sine wave 'S'.  Neat.
Reply #10
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:14:23 AM »
zemlin Offline

I don't think I could design a logo to save myself. ... nice work with the sine wave 'S'.  Neat.
Thanks.  I would have told you the same thing - I don't consider graphic design to be one of my strengths, but even I can get lucky once in a while.  The sine-wave thing looks bottom heavy - a bit unbalanced, but I think it's probably good enough for a part-time venture.

My 12 year old Daughter gave me significant guidance on the design.  Visual stuff comes more naturally to her than anyone else in the family.

Reply #11
« on: March 10, 2007, 11:32:39 PM »
hornet777 Offline

Lookin' sweet, Mr Z
Best Wishes!

After all has been invested in correctness, then how does it stand with truth?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: