AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 15, 2007, 08:26:22 AM
62671 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2168 Members
Latest Member: offTheRecord
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Radio, TV and Video Production
| | |-+  Weird EQ problem of longstanding
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Weird EQ problem of longstanding  (Read 589 times)
« on: November 03, 2006, 04:05:55 AM »
Mike Offline

I'm a radio commercial producer, several decades experience.

I've had a problem with voiceover distortion on air with material from my studio.  The problem has persisted thru several mics / preamps and recording formats.  An engineer recently suggested rolling off everything above 8K.  It seems to work, though I've never heard of anyone doing such a rolloff for this purpose or any other.

Attached is an mp3 of a flat recording, slightly compressed.  It would distort on the air.  

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Reply #1
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:34:03 AM »
Emmett Offline

Could it be a problem that occurs when you transfer into the automation system?  Are you making sure to export to 16-bit?

I have heard some systems that will play 32-bit files, but not "accept" them, so the result is a lot of distortion.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with this VO.

Emmett
Reply #2
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:14:22 AM »
Mike Offline

Emmett,  thanks for responding.  This problem has existed since I was sending 5" reels to stations and they carted them.
Reply #3
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:39:12 AM »
Emmett Offline

This may sound odd, but maybe your voice just doesn't work well with the air processor!  How's the other material coming from your studio...Have you tried voicing stuff from a different room?
Reply #4
« on: November 07, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »
Craig Jackman Offline

Quote from: Mike
This problem has existed since I was sending 5" reels to stations and they carted them.

So this is coming out of a 3rd party studio, into commercial radio stations.  If it sounds fine coming out of your studio, but distorted on air, the fault lies between the two.  It could have something to do with; a) the operator loading the automation machine, b) levels the operator uses, c) levels the jock plays back on air, d) how the limiters and compressors in the transmitter chain are set, e) all of the above.

The correct answer is E.

Clean recording, with a reasonably high bit rate, means you are already doing everything you should to ensure a smooth playback sound.  The cement heads who take it from there are screwing it up.

How would I suggest they clean it up?  Stop using a compressor across the master out in Production if they are doind so.  Have the jocks pay attention to levels while on air (yeah right ...).  Don't set the transmitter chain so that you have the loudest station in town, rather set it so it's the best sounding station in town.  Less limiting, less compression at every link in the chain.

Chances of that happening?  Well unless you can convince the PD and Engineer that you are going to walk away with 70% of their revenue if they don't clean up their signal chain, resulting in the GM firing them ... I'd say the chances would be exceedingly slim.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: