AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 26, 2007, 03:48:11 AM
62368 Posts in 6177 Topics by 2129 Members
Latest Member: Gonzo
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Correcting for phase/azimuth?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Correcting for phase/azimuth?  (Read 531 times)
« on: May 08, 2006, 03:32:45 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

Does anyone know of a phase/azimuth correction utility that can work either as a standalone or, preferably within AA? I've had a bunch of recordings to remaster which had been taken from cassettes and transferred to CD-R. I can get them sounding fine, but if they're switched into mono a whole load of phase cancellation takes place. I assume that a minute shift of one track relative to the other would fix this, and thus a phase correction utility would be reasonably simple to code. Any suggestions?

Reply #1
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:47:02 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Andrew Rose
Does anyone know of a phase/azimuth correction utility that can work either as a standalone or, preferably within AA?

A jeweller's screwdriver? (big red joke light flashing...)
I've had a bunch of recordings to remaster which had been taken from cassettes and transferred to CD-R. I can get them sounding fine, but if they're switched into mono a whole load of phase cancellation takes place. I assume that a minute shift of one track relative to the other would fix this, and thus a phase correction utility would be reasonably simple to code. Any suggestions?

Do they drift in and out of phase? The trouble with any phase-shifting utility is that it can't accurately detect when the two tracks are in phase anyway. The only way I could see that you could do this with tracks that are liable to shift is to have a detector that always attempts to find the best null when the tracks are inverted against each other, and make dynamic corrections to keep the null as good as it can be. And when there's only Side information, it's inevitably going to fail. But if there is no gradual change, then just time-slipping one channel ought to fix the problem, surely? And that's easy to do...

Reply #2
« on: May 08, 2006, 04:55:57 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

There is of course this, but I'm having a lot of difficulty believing that it will do anything useful, considering the price of it...

*edit* Reading the details, it only appears to cope with fixed offsets.

Reply #3
« on: May 09, 2006, 08:32:52 PM »
monarchee Offline

What version of AA are you using Andrew?
If you have version 2.0 then the Spectral Phase Display tool is good for viewing the phase (well it would be wouldn't it.) and the Phase wheel for monitoring it. Then judicious use of Delay and Graphic Phase shifter sort it out.
The Spectral Phase should display a well defined line along the centre for it being in phase. It doesn't work so well where  the mix has instruments competing against each other on either side of the balance when there will be no obvious line.
A simple phase offset will shift the line above or below the centre. If there is any delay between left and right it washes the line above or below i.e there is more phase activity to one side of the  line than the other.
Incorrect azimuth does a bit of both.
Of course this won't correct the loss of high frequncies.
Reply #4
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:03:33 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: monarchee
Then judicious use of Delay and Graphic Phase shifter sort it out.

Except that usually, with gradually shifting azimuth shifts, they don't. Which is why Andrew (who has quite a lot of experience in this area) wants to know whether there is an approach that does...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: