AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 15, 2007, 08:30:36 AM
62671 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2168 Members
Latest Member: offTheRecord
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Radio, TV and Video Production
| | |-+  Prod/Imaging Demo Contents
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Prod/Imaging Demo Contents  (Read 1652 times)
« on: February 22, 2006, 08:27:01 PM »
garfield1211 Offline

I've been a little confused with something when it comes to making a demo.
Hoping I could get a little guidance.

Imaging Demo: Should it be composed of the best parts of a bunch of sweepers/promos/etc that you've made or the entire piece?

Production Demo: Same question...best parts of commercials or entire spot?

How long should each demo be?

Sorry if I seem a little ignorant. I've been doing this for 10 years now. I've applied for on-air jobs plenty of times...never a production only position and I have no idea what the etiquette (sp?) is.

Thanks Alot!

JD Garfield
Creative Services
AAA Entertainment
Reply #1
« on: February 23, 2006, 12:47:08 AM »
BFM Offline

I don't think there is any standard way of making demos. As a broadcaster, producer and VO, I sometimes send a short demo and sometimes a very long one. It really depends on the situation, whether you've spoken to them first, whether it's a follow-up, whether it's a cold demo, whether you're replying to an ad, whether it's on a disc or an email attachment, and so on. Generally, experienced recipients of demos are experienced enough to be able to make a decision on someone's work within the first minute, even sooner sometimes. So you put your best work on first obviously and close with something that will resonate in the memory. Generaly demos can be as long as they need to be. What tends to be annoying is hearing the same thing over and over, this helps you cut demos down to 4 or 5 different items/skills, unless more know more tricks, which is unlikely. On the question of parts of productions or the whole thing, I would favour including the whole thing, others disagree with me, but it sounds to me like you might be hiding parts of a production that were't too good. I always break my own rules and send long demos, and get lots of gigs though. But it isn't any different to presenting demos really, treat each situation on it's particular needs.

Bernie.
Reply #2
« on: February 23, 2006, 06:13:37 PM »
Craig Jackman Offline

My PD likes to hear the whole element, while I prefer to hear only the best bits, except for the whole version of a big award winning piece.  Whatever you choose it should have great flow between elements.  I get demos that are separated into Imaging and Commerical production, but in reality you are going to have to do both at some time wherever you go.  I don't see any reason why a single demo should be longer than 5 minutes.  Likewise 2 split demos should total less than 5 minutes, and a single side of that shouldn't be much longer than 3 minutes.  Shorter is better!  Besides, it's good to have some left over for the 2nd "So what else can you do?" tape.

An unlike some who have applied to me in the past 6 months, please send demos MIXED!  The phrase "some assembly required" of a handfull of jumbled MP3s and WMAs should not be included in regards to your demo package.
Reply #3
« on: February 23, 2006, 07:21:57 PM »
garfield1211 Offline

Thanks for all the help everyone. I recently e-mailed a demo to a job prospect. The "wanted" ad was asking for a production director with imaging responsibilities. So in the e-mail I attached a 4 minute mp3 with full spot samples and included a link where the PD could listen to my imaging demo. The imaging demo was set-up the same way...the hole piece rather than smaples. Hopefully I get the gig...I need to get outta central Illinois!

If you're Christian...say a prayer for me.
If you're Wiccan...light a candle
If you're Satanist...ummm...praise the dark lord for me.

Cheers!

JD Garfield
Creative Services
AAA Entertainment
Reply #4
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:28 PM »
Emmett Offline

I think this is a good topic, so I'll throw my hat in...

I like to use complete sweepers, but only parts of promos.  If I do a :60 promo, or even a :30, I don't want to lose that much time to a single element.  I always cut out sponsors and slow spots in promos.  If there are really long sweepers, which may showcase 4-5 seconds of production elements, I'll trim those down.

For commercials, it depends on what you're trying to showcase.  If you want to show off your sound, production abilities or different reads, keep the segments short.  5-10 seconds of each style should be good.  On the other hand, if you're showing off your writing skills, use longer clips or complete spots.  Usually, there's something that can be trimmed out of a spot, like a tag or disclaimer.

Demos are usually "best-of"...Show yourself off the best way you can.  If the PD likes it, he'll contact you.

That being said, I suggest keeping demo reels of complete elements and spots on file, should a PD request them.

Good luck on the gig.  I'm also trying to move up, so I'll say a prayer for you, if you say one for me!

Emmett
Reply #5
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:35:46 PM »
BFM Offline

Another thing to mention is this: if you put yourself in the place of the recipient or the person hiring, what sorts of questions are you asking yourself? There is always in radio the need to maintain a measure of control and make sure the presenters and creatives stay on format and don't do their own thing and act like pricesses etc. My point is that you should be able to display that you can handle and enjoy doing the basic and simple stuff as well the crazy original stuff. Too often people try too hard to impress, when really you need to show more than anything that you are competent, understand the format and will behave like an adult. These things believe it or not are uppermost in the mind of any department head. You would not want to hire a loose cannon would you? You also answer to somebody and your job is on the line too. If you can demonstrate an original flair in addition then that would be a bonus. But demonstrate that you've mastered the basics and have a professional attitude, are willing to put in the extra hours if asked etc. first and you'll most likely get the gig over the guy who thinks he's a star.
Reply #6
« on: March 03, 2006, 11:24:45 PM »
Craig Jackman Offline

Quote from: garfield1211
Thanks for all the help everyone. I recently e-mailed a demo to a job prospect. The "wanted" ad was asking for a production director with imaging responsibilities. So in the e-mail I attached a 4 minute mp3 with full spot samples and included a link where the PD could listen to my imaging demo. The imaging demo was set-up the same way...the hole piece rather than smaples. Hopefully I get the gig...I need to get outta central Illinois!

As someone who recieves applicant demos, I can tell you that this way would not strike a good first impression with me.  If the job was asking for commercial and image skills, you haven't shown all of that by sending 4 minutes of spots.  If I'm going through a half dozen applications that morning, I don't want to be going to download half of your demo.  As the applicant, one of your responsibilities is to make it easy for someone to hire you.  In spite of what I've said here already, the whole vs. sample arguement, whole will be fine if it's entertaining with some kind of flow ... a spot that plays off the previous spot.  If you are concerned about file attachement sizes going through constricted email systems, send 2 separate emails next time.
Reply #7
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:25:55 AM »
audioconnell Offline

Unfortunately, there is no set answer...everybody looks at this stuff differently. In my imaging demo, I want to show versatility, range, production values and creativity. Does it work...for some yes and for others no.

But when making a demo you have to show your best stuff in about a minute, make sure they know how to contact you, and be ready to send out the next demo as soon as the job comes up...and hope for the best.

http://www.audioconnell.com/clientuploads/demoReels/radio_imaging-0605.mp3

-PETER
www.audioconnell.com
audio'connell Voice Over Talent
World Wide Voice Over Talent
Reply #8
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:24:51 PM »
MartysProduction_dot_com Offline

Everything you have read here is absolutely correct!  All really good information and incite.  I also like to hear the entire element within a demo, just cuz Im a producer and I love to hear everything in its entirity.  typically, when I compile a demo, Ive already gathered enough information about who or where its going to--so that I KNOW what they are about to hear is exactly what they want.  Dont make it incredibly long, no longer than 5 minutes--just know most of whatever is at the end of that will more than likely never be heard--if you are  going to get the job, itll happen within the first 90 seconds--give or take.

How do you select pieces?  I dont know.  Go back thru and listen to some of your best work--the stuff that even gives you chills.  Thats the stuff folks wanna hear.   Again everything is here is correct.  Mostly depend on your creative ability and gut instinct as to what your future clients want to hear from your demo.

Keep rockin!

Smiles,

Marty Mitchell, CENM
Chief Executive Noize Maker
www.MartysProduction.com
The BEST Noize You'll Ever Hear!™
Reply #9
« on: July 27, 2006, 10:50:51 AM »
BFM Offline

Let's give one justification for all our opinions .. you might need to include 6 pieces, but if you include all the pieces in their entirity the whole demo might be a file too large to send in an email. In that case you might decide that a compromise is to edit the pieces and send a snapshot demo. And there are many justifyable cases like this. You might say to a client, I'm emailing you a snapshot email demo and it's just a taster until you receive my CD.
Reply #10
« on: July 29, 2006, 01:10:26 AM »
Sun Prod Offline

I also like to hear the whole piece, their talent choices, direction, music choices, how the piece finishes, etc.  If I'm only getting "the best part" what am I missing?  What's the submitter hiding?

Radio Production is so much more than fancy effects and editing.
Reply #11
« on: October 24, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
dhvoice Offline

My latest Imaging demo that I've been shopping is something of a "sampler" with clips from various formats; the impression I get, though, is that more and more PDs want to hear format-specific demos. YMMV.

David Houston
David Houston Voiceovers
Great Voice. Great Choice.

Web: http://davidhoustonvoice.com
e-mail:
Mobile: 512-659-0013
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: