AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 10:02:24 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  OT Posts
| | |-+  Ya Gotta Laff
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author
Topic: Ya Gotta Laff  (Read 22885 times)
Reply #15
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
ronmac Offline
Do Not Adjust Your Set Posts: 92

Quote from: Andrew Rose
Anyone with an engineering background care to explain why this will make my hi-fi sound better by buying $1700 interconnects over my standard £20 leads?:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/dbssystem.htm

If you are not a true believer, you will not be given the gift of enlightened hearing. Faith, devotion and a cheque for $1500 will bring you closer to the Light.
Reply #16
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Anyone with an engineering background care to explain why this will make my hi-fi sound better by buying $1700 interconnects over my standard £20 leads?:

I'm afraid that the only thread I ever did this on wasn't really about an explanation, as such - but a direct measured comparison between some rather differenct cables, which revealed that there wasn't really a scrap of difference between them in electrical terms. This is a $1680 placebo (ignoring the difference between $ and £).

Reply #17
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »
zemlin Offline

http://www.elusivedisc.com/dbssystem.htm
I think a psychology background would be more applicable than engineering.   Tongue  or maybe astrology would be better still.

Reply #18
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:02:20 PM »
Havoc Offline

Anyone with (a lot of) time to spare might want to follow this:

http://www.badscience.net/?p=209

I like the "cashebo effect" name they give to it. Think I'm going to start using it.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #19
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:12:25 PM »
alanofoz Offline

Quote from: SteveG

I presume you meant cord...

Oops!

Cheers,
Alan

Bunyip Bush Band
Reply #20
« on: February 18, 2006, 03:13:00 AM »
jonrose Offline

Quote from: SteveG

...So why not have tuned power cords? If you were going to be a real genius though, I reckon you should have one for the predominant musical key of each piece listened to. That way you could sell 12 of each one for each piece of equipment powered by them... plus the really expensive adjustable one - which should cost at least $5000, I think. Unless it was purified with 16-yr old virgin tears, of course - that should double the price....

Hmmm...
No, no, I think the adjustable one should be far, far more expensive than that, Steve. Otherwise, those listening to a piece played in, say, a 19-tone scale will be getting around this quite neatly.  And we can't let them off the hook that easily, can we? We have to keep up our Marketing Standards here, man.
 evil
Reply #21
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

I've posted this somewhere here before, I believe. Lunacy knows no bounds when it comes to high end audio/stereo.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=2

Now could you imagine the cost of outfitting your favourite mixer with a set of those...

And this:  http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm#pros

A nice racket! (but apparently no longer for sale) 59 Euro for a half-milliliter of lacquer amd half a cotton swab! Just about enough lacquer to get the swab wet.

I've often wondered if there's an upcharge if you order a whole swab...

-Phil

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #22
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »
Havoc Offline

59 Euro for a half-milliliter of lacquer

Or only 118000 euro/litre. I haven't any idea of the price of conformal coating but the markup must be nice. But $489 for a wooden know isn't bad business either (depending on wich end you are).

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #23
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:16:12 AM »
PQ Offline

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm smiley

Paweł Kuśmierek
Reply #24
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:04:22 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: PQ

I bet they're laughing all the way to the bank with that one. It really is the Emporer's New Clothes!

Reply #25
« on: March 07, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
Jester700 Offline

Is that REALLY Steve Hoffman on their site?  WHY is he there?  I hope he thought it was just a home decoration or something, in which case he should be told about the use of his pic.  If he REALLY buys into their nonsense, there goes another fallen...well, not idol, but I admired him.

Jesse Greenawalt
Reply #26
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Jester700
Is that REALLY Steve Hoffman on their site?  WHY is he there?  I hope he thought it was just a home decoration or something, in which case he should be told about the use of his pic.  If he REALLY buys into their nonsense, there goes another fallen...well, not idol, but I admired him.

He may not know. Let's face it, this is a picture of him holding his thumb up. He could be endorsing its value as a dust-collecting knick-knack for all we know. But just having 'golden ears' doesn't mean that he knows anything about acoustics at all, does it? Or maybe he simply doesn't realise what an absolute buffoon this makes him look.

Reply #27
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
PQ Offline

Another mysterious device from this manufacturer, an 'electromagnetic stabilizer', is (according to the site) endorsed or used by a number of studios and individuals, whose names may be familiar to people in the business, I guess.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/audiovideo.htm

The stabilizer is, apparently, beneficial both for audio equipment and for car engines  shocked  shocked  shocked

Paweł Kuśmierek
Reply #28
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »
RossW Offline

... The stabilizer is, apparently, beneficial both for audio equipment and for car engines  shocked  shocked  shocked

I bet it also blocks those black UN helicopters and UFOs in their attempts at eavesdropping on our thoughts!    But the hallograph?  Now there's a great idea!  I bet if you put it behind the speakers it really would clean things up in a lot of audiophile rooms... just by moving things away from the walls.  But for $1K, I want something more than exotic wood... I want them in pure unobtainium!
Reply #29
« on: March 07, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »
zemlin Offline

...  and for car engines  shocked  shocked  shocked
I noticed in all their dyno runs, the "enhanced" run is several minutes after the stock run.  I wonder how much oil temperatures (consider engine, transmission, differential, wheel bearings, etc) has to do with a 1% increase in power delivered to the wheels.

rolleyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: